gear configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before it seems like I'm arguing with UP I should say that I have lots of cave line around and no zip ties. :D I just saw his last post and thought it worth mentioning that he actually has more experience in these matters than I do and that I'm just passing on what has been said by the party elders.

Originally posted by Munin
Before it seems like I'm arguing with UP

he actually has more experience in these matters than I do and that I'm just passing on what has been said by the party elders.
Shoot... you can argue with me all you want... no problem there...
And how do you know that I have more experience in these matters... I could be a putz... :putz:

Anyway... I did have one of the party elders (as you say) look at my deco spg and go "Hmmmm....." and nothing more so who knows?

If you can spot a problem with the zipties I would really like to hear it and I will change if the reasoning is right.

BTW... do you know what holds the inflator mechanism on your corrogated tube under that rubber covering?

BTW... do you know what holds the inflator mechanism on your corrogated tube under that rubber covering?

Would I be correct if I said zip ties?

I know! I know! Two mouthpiece zipties.

Oooooh, should I replace the ziptie on my mouthpiece? Is it not DIR? :D

I use a tank neck o-ring and a light ziptie on my long hose (hasn't broken yet), and an o-ring and two light zipties on my SPG (I added an extra ziptie after it looked a bit flimsy, couldn't be bothered rerigging it). I reckon the SPG o-ring could be replaced by caveline no problems, as I can't think of any scenarios where you would need to break away the SGP bolt snap - it's either on the D-ring or in your hand. I used to use a single light ziptie on the long hose with no o-ring, but I found that there was no "play", and the ziptie would break too easily by just twisting the hose. The o-ring is like a mini shock absorber, and it hasn't accidently broken yet. The tank neck o-rings I have seem darn tough, I can't see them breaking easily, the ziptie would still go first. Maybe after a bunch of UV and salt water they'll break down though.

Like I said, there's no problem with zip ties used on something round like a mouthpiece or an inflator hose. They hold really well that way (maybe because it's what they were designed to do? :D ) It is really easy to break them off if a twisting motion is possible, like if they're used to hold two things together a la bolt snap. I think the real problem with zip ties is accidental twisting. Is it a real big problem? No. But twisting won't break cave line. It just seems better to me.

My gear does get left out in the sun a lot, and I think that is probably why the o-rings dried out so fast. Cave line is holding up pretty well so far though. It really doesn't matter to much what you use. The difference is marginal. I see no possible disadvantage to the cave line, and remote but potential problems with other methods.

I think that I've seen pictures of wkpp bottles with the spg held in place by a zip tie, so its probably ok. I use a heavy piece of inner tube so that I can relax the hp hose when not in use. I don't know whether that's correct or not.

And UP, you are a putz! :wink:

I've always used #24 cave line. The only zip ties that I use are for the mouth piece, inflator hose, and on some bungie loops.

Mike

Well, I've never seen the need for a break away on my primary. Even if it's clipped off, the OOA diver will go for the reg in your mouth, and you'll go for the one under your chin. Using cave line was how I learned to do it by Irvine and JJ several years ago, so that's just what I've always done. I haven't been convinced that a break away is the way to go, I guess.

Mike

U_P,
you were questioning using zip ties to hold SPG in place on stages. we use cave line in a little loop, wrapped around 1st stage and around SPG. This keeps it in place as well.
How do you set up the zip tie? I'm trying to picture it, but can't see how.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom