gear configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Divesherpa
How do you set up the zip tie? I'm trying to picture it, but can't see how.
Sherp I don't have the camera here so I can't take a picture and I don't have 1000 words either...

Let me just say that I fold the SPG back against the first stage and put a ziptie on it...

Someone else mentioned using bungee so that they could relieve the strain on the short hose between dives.... it is my understanding that this flextion actually stresses the hose and leaving it in the bent U is better.

BTW... speaking of zipties and inflator hoses...
Do you know how much pressure is on one of those inflator hose/inflator body connections when the wing is fully inflated or even over inflated and the PRV is blowing???

Well... Shane's inflator needed repair so I removed it and did the repair for him and replaced it... but I didn't have any of those special zipties with the metal insert handy so I didn't finish the job...

I called Shane and told him to get some before our next dive and take care of it himself...

Our next dive was on my birthday - for those of you who haven't read the story yet:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7551

The other part of the story that I didn't include was that as we were hanging on the wall in the current with my drysuit totally flooded Shane looked down at his inflator and remembered something he had forgotten. :eek:

The only snap I have a breakaway on is my primary second stage. I used an oring, folded and looped as shown at http://www.northeastdir.com/images/pages/primaryclipclose2.htm . I used a faucet o-ring from home depot as a yoke face o-ring seemed too small and a tank neck o-ring would take a damn good pull to break I think.

I'm actually thinking of changing my setup on this as the o-ring, and of course the snap hook, wants to migrate down the hose rather than staying up by the second stage. I tried making sure it was in the groove where the hose attaches but it still migrated.

The rest of my snaps, including SPG, are all tied on with nylon line.

Tom

I have my bolt snap on my primary with a zip tie as well.....is this unsafe? Sure, it COULD be cut free if entangled, but is that correct vs an O-ring?

The use of a zip tie needs to be changed to an O-ring.

Zip tie makes it a cut-away instead of a break-away.

Ooo, thats what I thought...thanks....same with the SPG, right? ALL should be on O-rings, right?

Scuba446,

I used to use just a ziptie on my primary regulator hose - but found that either the ziptie was too strong to break, or too weak and would break off accidently if you twisted it. I now use a tank neck o-ring passed through the bolt eye, and pass a small ziptie through the o-ring either side of the bolt eye, and tie the ziptie off around the hose. The ziptie is still the breakaway piece, but the o-ring gives the connection enough flexibility that it doesn't break accidently. For a harder to break connection, I would just use a stronger ziptie that means the tough o-ring would be the first point to break. I'll try and get some photos of it posted later this weekend.

Ben

I use breakaways (various widths & sizes cut from innertubes) dang near everywhere... never had one break prematurely. They do take checking and changing more often than zip ties... but I like to know that if I really need to, I can force the issue without resorting to digging out the knife or scissors. I even carry a few spares in my pocket, just in case.
Rick :)

Here's my version of breakaway clips. On the primary second stage, I use a tank neck o-ring, and a light ziptie. The ziptie is weaker than the o-ring, but the o-ring gives some stretch and flexibility to the connection, so with a good pull the ziptie will break, and the second stage come free of the D-ring. The only time I really see myself having to use this is if I've clipped off the second stage to my shoulder D-ring, and get dumped by a wave or something on a shore exit/entry (and I'm usually holding the reg in my hand anyway, and I also have the necklaced secondary regulator). On the SPG, I use a much heavier ziptie, that is stronger than the o-ring, so a much harder pull is needed to break it, and the o-ring would break first instead of the ziptie. This would only ever be needed to break in the event of an entanglement, and the connection needs to be strong enough to withstand repeated clipping/unclipping of the SPG without accidently breaking and becoming an annoyance. I replaced the two small zipties on the SPG I mentioned in my earlier post before taking the picture.

On my backup lights I use cave line, as they don't need to be a breakaway connection.

WreckWriter,
If you should choose not to go with bengiddens' set-up, perhaps a ziptie attached beside your o-ring attachment will solve the problem of the clip migrating down the hose. Just a thought.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom