Going from BP-wing to Jacket BCD ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You pays your money and takes your chances. There are a fair number of devices now that sit somewhere on the continuum between the two pure extremes.

I agree! I am of the opinion that a Dive Rite Transpac is the perfect all around BCD for beginners and a lot of other divers. I very much enjoyed mine for 8+ years. A BP/Wing is great but adjusting, etc. is too much to ask of a new diver...I don't care the following posters say...

If you can hang in any position with air in your wing, Archimedes wants to talk to you.

Terry

It's not a terribly complicated concept, I'm rarely using every ounce of lift my wing can provide so there is only a small bubble I am controlling; I can move it around my DSS donut wing at will. The rest is body positioning and balance.

Peace,
Greg

What he said.

I actually love them! Someone did a review a few years back and rated the Mares Avanti Superchannel Fullfoot fins as theri #1 fin. So for like $59 or $69 I bought them and now take then with me when I go to any place in the Caribbean except for Bonaire.

I don't think we jacket guys feel insulted and I don't take it that way. As a matter of fact, I just ordered my first back inflate so this should be interesting. I ordered a Scubapro Seahawk. I was in the mood to buy me something new so I thought I'd give a true back inflate a go. I have heard from video and photo people they felt they had a little more freedom of movement in the front and I do video so what the heck. I'll take it with me to Little Cayman next month for a week. Not even going to try it out before I go so it will be a little leap of faith I'll like it. :D

The seahawk sucks. I have one, Bought it used for $25 withthe air 2 inflator, which made it a good deal. The thing is too bulky and has way more wing or cpacity than needed. I will use it for a while I suppose, but it is certainly not my favorite. the cummerbund, buckles and padding and weight integration (which i removed) are too bulky and too much. I chopped off the cummerbund and assciated buckle and replaced with a belt and also ditched the weight pouches and it is workable now.

That's a red herring because it argues for a back buoyancy BC as much as a for a BP/wing.

Adam

I'm not exactly sure what a red herring is, but my point is that if you never put hardly any air in the bouynacy control device, it matters very little what type it is....(more or less anyway) ...I use a BP/W sometimes and always when i am going to be using a stage bottle on that day's of diving.

My gosh scubafanatic how many BCs do you have??? You need to go on dive trip and use them! Well one of them anyway. Are you headed anywhere soon???

The seahawk sucks. I have one, Bought it used for $25 withthe air 2 inflator, which made it a good deal. The thing is too bulky and has way more wing or cpacity than needed. I will use it for a while I suppose, but it is certainly not my favorite. the cummerbund, buckles and padding and weight integration (which i removed) are too bulky and too much. I chopped off the cummerbund and assciated buckle and replaced with a belt and also ditched the weight pouches and it is workable now.

Scubapro made a Seahawk many years ago and then stopped. They have just introduced it again this year. If you bought the new 2010 model for $25, then even if it sucks you got a hell of a deal. The new 2010 model is pretty much the Knighthawk but better I think. Better pockets and more rings to clip things to. If yours is the new model, I wish I had found the fool that sold it to you first! You could have made a nice profit if you hadn't chopped it all up.

Why do you suppose this?

My statement is not supposition but fact. A BP/Wing is much more problematic to fine tune adjustment as compared to almost any other style. I am aware you know how but the average new diver, not so much...hence their 1% of market share...

My statement is not supposition but fact. A BP/Wing is much more problematic to fine tune adjustment as compared to almost any other style. I am aware you know how but the average new diver, not so much...hence their 1% of market share...

You didn't answer my question. Again?

Frankly, in terms of adjustment, I think that a BP/w has it all over a BC.

Back
Top Bottom