Good Bye Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MMM:
I was not one of the people who privately PM'd you, nor am I one of your "friends" as someone described the people who encouraged people to respect your initial post. The nature of my job is such that I need to state my views (respectfully disagreeing when I do so) and also try to hear what the other person is saying. I would hope that others could do the same, including the people who privately messaged you - one should NEVER be afraid to say what is on their minds unless it will seriously jeopardize their personal well-being. Discussion boards on what is - for most of us - a recreational activity shouldn't fall into that category.

I was looking at the number of posts and hits this report has generated and was thinking - wow - he/she really hit a nerve and piqued peoples' interest! You might take some pride in having one of the most discussed threads in a long time!

But I also wondered whether it had finally been beaten to death....and so I wouldn't disagree with your request to close the thread.

And finally, I wondered whether - in the interest of full disclosure, truth, transparency, and all that jazz - it would be useful to post the pictures you took of sand covered reefs. I didn't take any such pictures because I take photos of things I like to look at over and over and over again once I'm at home (they come up randomly on my computer's screensaver). Some Yucab pre and post Wilma shots would be edifying. Come to think of it - I've not seen any such comparison made anywhere. It would be interesting to people who haven't dived in Cozumel (ever, or post-Wilma). So if not you, then maybe someone else.

That's not to say people should avoid Cozumel - that's far from my position as one would divine from my many posts on this topic. It's still good diving in my view, and a great place to vacation. The reef is regenerating. But let's call a spade a spade and acknowledge that much of what used to be there is gone for the time-being. In my view there is still much to see.

Thanks Marg! I have to agree that your posts on Coz condition have been very objective and I can't really disagree with anything you've said that I can think of.

I for one truly appreciate your objectivity even if some of it stings just a tad...Wilma was a B*%#* and there's no denying it :)

You are correct, the bottom line is that Cozumel is still very much worth visiting and diving...Coz vet or not!

Domino, I really hope that you understand that I was not trying to be disrespectful at all, I just don't happen to agree with everything you said.

I do have to honestly say that my stomach would turn if sand shots were posted, even though some may consider that very unobjective. My reasoning is because they really would not show a true representation of the reefs and may cause more widespread panic, that would be completely unnecessary. It's not that I'm trying to "hide" anything, I jsut want to have people focus on the positive rather than dwell on the negative.

Yes there are sandy areas...but there are MORE (70%) like the shots I have shared...and that becomes more true everyday...and this is what we need people to see and understand...pretty please :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=48117
Trip report from 2004 by domino22.
It has been twenty years or more since I was last there and I do not like 4 cruise ships there at one time. Coz has really changed and not for the better IMHO. But I remembered the diving!!!!!!

I went to the French Riviera 19 years ago, and I suppose that I would find it much different today (after 19 additional years in the school of life) than I did through the eyes of a 20 year old. Because I enjoyed it so well back in "simpler times," I would probably be grossly disappointed. (However, having lived there for a month, 19 years ago, does not qualify me as an expert on the French Riviera.)

domino22, I went back through and read your trip reports. It looks like you (and your friends) had a string of bad luck on recent dive trips, from dealing with drunken cruisers with rotten attitudes, to being left by your dive boat in Utila, to your friends having wallets stolen on a liveaboard. I hope your (and your friends') vacations get better in the near future, or you may end up having to take a vacation from vacations.

Giggi:
domino22, I went back through and read your trip reports. It looks like you (and your friends) had a string of bad luck on recent dive trips, from dealing with drunken cruisers with rotten attitudes, to being left by your dive boat in Utila, to your friends having wallets stolen on a liveaboard. I hope your (and your friends') vacations get better in the near future, or you may end up having to take a vacation from vacations.

Hmm, this is interesting and enlightening.

Domino, just out of curiosity, how many times have you been to Cozumel between your February 2004 trip and your most recent trip?

Just so people aren't scared away from Prima's too...this is not popular with the cruise ships, mainly because they do not open until 5:00pm and most cruisers have to be back on the boat by 5:00 or 6:00.

As I said in my original post to you Domino, I truly hope that you can find a dive destination that will make you happy. I mean that sincerely.

It is far, far more objective to post opposing views and feelings than to attack the person of the opposing views and feelings.

This is a discussion board, and many of us appreciate both sides of the views and feelings.

DandyDon:
It is far, far more objective to post opposing views and feelings than to attack the person of the opposing views and feelings.

This is a discussion board, and many of us appreciate both sides of the views and feelings.

Are you implying that I attacked him? I hardly think so!

Christi:

A little while ago, I went back and read every post (that is still there) in this thread, in order, and all I have to say is that just because someone says he is being beat up doesn't necessarily mean that he is.

Peace,

Christi:
Nah, hadn't even seen your post.

DandyDon:

Don, in theory I agree, however Domino22 did post some pretty inflammatory remarks that might not be what one could term Objective. I like objectivity but would prefer it without the drama!
Loretta

Giggi:
Is there a pattern emerging? Well, I think I'll check out a few posts myself...Probably some interesting drama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom