Good dive ops in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 that are real good and personable are

www.bottomtimedivers.net Raul
www.liquidbluedivers.com Roberto and Michaela
www.bluextseadivers.com Christi

all three have sixpacks and dive computers and air consumption.
Bottomtime is probably more flexible about start time anywhere from 8-9:30 than LB or BXT
LB and BXT will do credit card and tend to do long surface int at a beach cafe.
BT credit card on the web but cash in Coz.
All these operators work with each other so if they are booked ask about booking with the others. They are all great and treat you like family.

Lou

Hi again,

I guess I should maybe give more specifi details on what I'm looking for (good points, Matt and Gordon):

Inexpensive ($50-$60) vs. more expensive ($65-$90)
Up to 70-80 bucks is OK

small fast boat vs. large slow boat (small=6-8 divers)
Small boat, if it means less divers in one site..

regular aluminum 80's vs. steel 100's or 120's (tanks)
Prefer larger tanks, esp. if deeper dives...

beginner oriented (cater to cruise ships) vs. intermediate to advanced divers
Never dived Coz, so not sure where the nice dives are. I guess I may be bold and classify myself as beginner-intermediate (regardless of my cert level)

long bottom times (55 to 90 minutes) vs. short bottom times (35-50 minutes)
LONG! Especially on the shallower dives (20-30ft) where I can sip my Al80 for well over an hour...

dive op.s that group experience levels together vs. pack 'em all on together.
Doesn't matter... More important if it is a small group

Dive op.s that have pre-planned dive sites vs. those that decide by divers requests.
Again, since I'm not sure where to go (and I'm only going to do 2 dives, in all likelyhood), not sure this matters a lot. You guys feel free to correct me...

Do you want the op to keep and clean your gear?
Nah...

Do you need to rent gear?
Nope.

Do you want to be hand-held? Do you want to be left alone ?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Bring us on site, brief us, then leave us alone!!

Do you feel a need to be on the first boat out?
Not important.

Do you want to sleep in?
Not a big deal either.

Do you want to be served food between dives?
Something to drink, but food is not critical.

Do you care if there are novices aboard?
Hey! Be nice!! :wink:

Are you a novice?
Somewhat... Only 35 dives in cold water:St-Lawrence, Great Lakes (of which 3 in salt water part of St-lawrence) - never dived down south...

I will definitely try to keep this in mind when asking around... I guess I kind of take for granted the way the people I usually patronize for boat dives up here work, and the fact that I'll be in a different country. That fact hasn't fully penetrated my thick skull yet...

A.

Yeah, I'll be doing the Cenotes for sure...

I may have already lined up someone for those dives, as well as some local reef dives (in PDC)... Now looking to add 2 more in Coz... I think it would be a damn shame not to sample Coz, when I'll be so close!!!

mattboy:
BTW, while you're at playa, you might try to get a cenote dive in. They're a little pricey, I paid $110 for a 2 tank cenote dive, but it's really quite an experience and I don't regret spending the money.

There are many great dive operators in Cozumel. It's one of the few dive destinations I've been to where you have so many choices. The first time I went I found it really overwhelming. I also found very quickly that all the dive shops have their loyal customers and everyone feels that their choice is the best. And, it is, for them. It's virtually impossible to not find your perfect dive shop in Cozumel. My Cozumel dive operator of choice is Living Underwater.

Since you'll be coming from Playa del Carmen, are you planning on catching the first ferry in the morning or were you thinking about doing afternoon dives? Not all operators do afternoon dives, and the ones that do usually make the afternoon trip to shallower reefs.

In my opinion, the best way to enjoy Coz diving is with a small operator where you will be one of no more then 6-8 divers and have a day of diving that is geared to your choices, ability and showing you the best experience possible. Check out the dive operators mentioned on the board, and also do a few internet searches on your own. Contact a few operators that sound like a good fit for you. Tell them what your experience level is and the type of diving you like. You'll find that if they are either not your best fit or are already booked, they will recommend another operator and you can trust their recommendations.

Whomever you dive with you will have great time in Cozumel! (and if you're looking for a good cenote guide on the mainland, I've used a few and my best experience was with Diablo Divers this past December. I won't use anyone else now unless I have to.)

Big tanks in the 70-80 dollar range points you toward Living Underwater ($85) or Liquid Blue ($90), last I checked for each. Aldora also (although I don't know costs), plus I heard another op has opened with big tanks. LU will keep and clean all your gear including your wetsuit, LB all your gear except your wetsuit. If you want extended dive times, mostly (but not exclusively) you need to go with the premium ops. Time is money. However, there aren't too many 20-30 foot sites in Coz. Most of the "shallow" second dives are in the 50-60 foot range.

Not sure how long you are planning to be there - but to only do two dives??? Why schlepp all that equipment for only two dives?

I had hoped to do a cenote dive when I was in Coz last week, but op wasn't able to organize something before I left. I heard that Blue Angel charges something in the $130 (or so) range. (They are Coz based, not PDC.)

abitton:
Hi again,

I guess I should maybe give more specifi details on what I'm looking for (good points, Matt and Gordon):

Inexpensive ($50-$60) vs. more expensive ($65-$90)
Up to 70-80 bucks is OK

small fast boat vs. large slow boat (small=6-8 divers)
Small boat, if it means less divers in one site..

regular aluminum 80's vs. steel 100's or 120's (tanks)
Prefer larger tanks, esp. if deeper dives...

beginner oriented (cater to cruise ships) vs. intermediate to advanced divers
Never dived Coz, so not sure where the nice dives are. I guess I may be bold and classify myself as beginner-intermediate (regardless of my cert level)

long bottom times (55 to 90 minutes) vs. short bottom times (35-50 minutes)
LONG! Especially on the shallower dives (20-30ft) where I can sip my Al80 for well over an hour...

dive op.s that group experience levels together vs. pack 'em all on together.
Doesn't matter... More important if it is a small group

Dive op.s that have pre-planned dive sites vs. those that decide by divers requests.
Again, since I'm not sure where to go (and I'm only going to do 2 dives, in all likelyhood), not sure this matters a lot. You guys feel free to correct me...

Do you want the op to keep and clean your gear?
Nah...

Do you need to rent gear?
Nope.

Do you want to be hand-held? Do you want to be left alone ?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Bring us on site, brief us, then leave us alone!!

Do you feel a need to be on the first boat out?
Not important.

Do you want to sleep in?
Not a big deal either.

Do you want to be served food between dives?
Something to drink, but food is not critical.

Do you care if there are novices aboard?
Hey! Be nice!! :wink:

Are you a novice?
Somewhat... Only 35 dives in cold water:St-Lawrence, Great Lakes (of which 3 in salt water part of St-lawrence) - never dived down south...

I will definitely try to keep this in mind when asking around... I guess I kind of take for granted the way the people I usually patronize for boat dives up here work, and the fact that I'll be in a different country. That fact hasn't fully penetrated my thick skull yet...

A.

Thought I should qualify this comment - first that a lot of the shallowe dive site were seriously damaged by Wilma. So you are pretty much limited to mid-range site that start in the range below and generally finish up in the 30-40 foot range. I did dive Columbia Shallows last week (which is one of the shallower dives in the 20 foot range). Not as good as it used to be but not as bad as I thought it might be. Other people on the boat diving it for the first time thought it was wonderful.

MMM:
However, there aren't too many 20-30 foot sites in Coz. Most of the "shallow" second dives are in the 50-60 foot range.

Thanks MMM. Those are really interesting insights.

As to why:

MMM:
Not sure how long you are planning to be there - but to only do two dives??? Why schlepp all that equipment for only two dives?

I know it's not much, and it somewhat blows... But I'm only in the area for 6 days, and am going to be staying in PDC. I'd like to dive the cenotes (1 day), some reefs local to PDC (0.5 or 1 day), and also visit some of the Mayan ruins (1 day). If I add in the 2 dives in Cozumel (1 day), that only leaves me with 2 days of vegetation on the beach and sipping pina coladas... :(

I guess I just want to sample what's around there, try to get as much variety as possible...

Unless you guys think I could skip Coz altogether and do more dives near PDC... (Wait! I'm not trying to sound like a heretic! :D )

From what I'm seeing in terms of pics on this board and other internet sites, I really can't go wrong anywhere I dive in that neck of the woods, especially since for me, a colorful fish is a pike, muscallonge, or walleye...

*Quote from abitton: also visit some of the Mayan ruins (1 day).

*Quote from abitton: that only leaves me with 2 days of vegetation on the beach and sipping pina coladas... :(

Just my opinion, I have been to cozumel a few times and the only time I was interested in seeing the Mayan Ruins was the first time. And, after diving in the true divers paradise it was decided to skip the ruins so that I could have another day of diving and I have never regreted that decision!!

As for the time left to veg on the beach, I was just in Cozumel for 10 days and after diving each day there plenty of time to veg around and enjoy drinks. I would recommend the morning dives so that you have the afternoon to enjoy. Again this is my opinion only.

abitton:
I know it's not much, and it somewhat blows... But I'm only in the area for 6 days, and am going to be staying in PDC. I'd like to dive the cenotes (1 day), some reefs local to PDC (0.5 or 1 day), and also visit some of the Mayan ruins (1 day). If I add in the 2 dives in Cozumel (1 day), that only leaves me with 2 days of vegetation on the beach and sipping pina coladas... :(
Maybe I missed it, does your girlfriend dive too?

I know when I head South I don't do too much vegging and any day missed diving is regretted later. Obviously this is your vacation and you should manage it however you (and your girlfriend) like. I agree with the above post... plenty of time in the afternoon for lounging!

So, with that said... A few thoughts/suggestions:

Maybe you can do Tulum or Coba in the afternoon after some morning dives... but if you want to do both ruins I doubt it's possible to do them both justice in one afternoon. Tulum is really cool, right on the ocean. Bring a towel, they have an awesome beach there. Make sure to see all the ruins before checking out the beach... Trust me! Once we saw the beach we pretty much forgot about the ruins. Never been to Coba.

Maybe you can find a Cozumel dive op that will let you do 3 tanks so you can maximize your time. Obviously let them know you are coming over on the ferry. You'll almost definitely need to find one who's willing to juggle their schedule for you.

I'll join the cheerleading squad :14: and put in a plug for Christi's Blue~XT Sea

Back
Top Bottom