Good starter computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevilDogMech

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good starter computer. I dont have one, and have to rely on my buddys for ascent rate, and the like.

Only realy looking for ease and simplicity of use, price, and lastly the number of functions/gadgets.

I would prefer to pay about $200.00

TIA

Bill

do you want a dive computer that just records depth, temp, time and ascent rates?
or do you want a full deco capable computer?
are you going to dive air or nitrox?

if your looking for just a basic bottom timer without no deco- deco times, there are a bunch made by almost every scuba manufacturer that are all pretty much the same and can be had for about $80-$130.

if your looking for a full deco computer then $200 is a pretty small budget.

My dad uses a Sherwood Profile with an SPG and compass. It's very simple and for a pretty good price. Can't remember but its easy too use, but kinda bulky.

get a Nitrox-capable one.

They start around $250 @ LeisurePro.

You'll be diving Nitrox sooner than you expect.

I would up my budget a little and look into the Suunto Musquito, that is what I use, and I like it alot. Suunto also makes a cheaper one for about the price you are looking to spend, I believe it is called the Favor??? It does not have the backlit display and is not nitrox capable but it has almost everything else you would want in a computer IMHO.

I've been very pleased with my Oceanic Prodigy for the last 6 yrs. No problems. Planning to upgrade to their Versa Pro. Uncomplicated and easy to read. Look at their new VEO line.

How about the Suunto Vyper? It's going for about 300 at LeisurePro. It is about the same as the Cobra but doesn't have the air integration. I'm using the Cobra and have been extremely satisfied with it since day one. I would love to have a Vyper as a backup computer but that will be awhile. If you can afford to take the plunge, its better than taking a step backward.

I bought the Suunto Musquito about a year ago from Leasue Pro and like it very much. But if I did it again I would get the Vyper because the display is a bit larger. Both computers are about the same price.

I will eventually get a hoseless and use the Musquito as a backup.

How about Mares M1 or the Dacor Darwin for 225.00 to 250.00 at Leisure PRo

Heard pretty negative comments about the M1. Don't buy (they all seem to come back in the shop with technical problems...)

edwin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom