Gross, disgusting behaviour on the boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday I experienced what I considered disgusting, gross behaviour on the boat by another diver. I was the last diver out of the water and was standing on the ladder toward the rear right hand side of the boat, removing my fins.

Some guy (and it's usually a guy who I have seen exhibit this behaviour), sitting at the front of the boat on the same side I was, leaned over, horked a gigantic luggie and then immediately proceeded to blow out two gigantic streams of snot from his nose into the water. I was down current (in a fast current) and nearly puked as these gobs of nastiness made their way straight toward me. I did some sort of contortion myself to avoid them, as he apologized to the people ON THE BOAT!

Now I can understand if someone is seasick and needs to hurl, that they can't always get the timing and velocity just right. But there was absolutely NO need for this guy to do this while I was still in the water. He could have waited the 30 or 40 seconds it would have taken me to remove my fins. Or, he could have gone over to the other side and ministered to his needs.

Consider this a plea...please exhibit a little consideration for other divers still in the water. And if you are a DM, and see this, ask your rude, inconsiderate client to hold off a minute or so. And if you are married to one of these inconsiderate goofs, well, you have my sympathies. But maybe you could wrinkle your nose at him. :dork2:

One of my least favorites is having a boat-mate prime his pee-valve while on-deck. . .

Start hanging around more cave diving girls and you'll notice its NOT JUST GUYS WHO DO THIS.

At any rate, if you don't like the company on the boat.... get your own boat. While I would definitely not aim for you, you can bet guys aren't going to change 20 year old habits for you. MAYBE temporarily if you were smokin' hot. If you're ugly, deal with snot rockets. :D :D :D

I don't disagree. Have had to do it myself on occasion. But there is a way to do it. On land (or anywhere on this planet) would you blow your snot at someone else?

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2014 at 04:24 PM ----------

Nope. I am too polite to do that (Canadian, you know). Plus I was dumbfounded that anyone would be so rude.

If you have a brother, of course you would blow snot on him. That's a sign of affection, like slobber from a Lab. I don't think I said I would launch one on a stranger, that is disrespectful. Cheers

Reactions: MMM
Ha, I got in trouble today for peeing off the back deck - the captain said that she was not used to PAX doing that. Implying that I should use the head. Sorry, no way on rocking boating. That said I do wait until everyone is on board.

Start hanging around more cave diving girls and you'll notice its NOT JUST GUYS WHO DO THIS.

At any rate, if you don't like the company on the boat.... get your own boat. While I would definitely not aim for you, you can bet guys aren't going to change 20 year old habits for you. MAYBE temporarily if you were smokin' hot. If you're ugly, deal with snot rockets. :D :D :D

HAHAHA!! I don't know about snot rockets, but Diet Coke just shot out my nose and all over my computer screen! ROTFLMAO!

Haha.

Yesterday I experienced what I considered disgusting, gross behaviour on the boat by another diver. I was the last diver out of the water and was standing on the ladder toward the rear right hand side of the boat, removing my fins.

Some guy (and it's usually a guy who I have seen exhibit this behaviour), sitting at the front of the boat on the same side I was, leaned over, horked a gigantic luggie and then immediately proceeded to blow out two gigantic streams of snot from his nose into the water. I was down current (in a fast current) and nearly puked as these gobs of nastiness made their way straight toward me. I did some sort of contortion myself to avoid them, as he apologized to the people ON THE BOAT!

Now I can understand if someone is seasick and needs to hurl, that they can't always get the timing and velocity just right. But there was absolutely NO need for this guy to do this while I was still in the water. He could have waited the 30 or 40 seconds it would have taken me to remove my fins. Or, he could have gone over to the other side and ministered to his needs.

Consider this a plea...please exhibit a little consideration for other divers still in the water. And if you are a DM, and see this, ask your rude, inconsiderate client to hold off a minute or so. And if you are married to one of these inconsiderate goofs, well, you have my sympathies. But maybe you could wrinkle your nose at him. :dork2:

Pics or it didn't happen.

It's amazin' how little consideration a lot of people have. And, I mean that both ways. I always move to the back of the boat or otherwise down wind and current to clear my slobber. And, then even when I do that, there are some folks who have no consideration that people need to clear out their sinuses, etc. and complain even when you do make the effort to respect the rest of the crowd.

Awe man, im soo guilty. Thats part of my post dive ritual when i come topside. take a few seconds to gather myself on the surface, take off my mask and hock a massive loogie and wipe the snot off my face. we usually board one by one, and i get to enjoy the silence and solitude that comes with bobbing singularly in the ocean rethinking an awesome dive as the blob of snot floats gingerly away in the current.....im lucky, i routinely dive with the same group of menly men, and no one complains about crude jokes, excessive snot, urinating off the back of the boat, or picking up beef jerky off the wet boat deck to eat.

Back
Top Bottom