Gross, disgusting behaviour on the boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I read this wrong. But this fellow was at the front of the boat and did it over the side into the water. You were in the water getting onto the boat so I assume you were back off the stern on the same side.

Even on a small boat that should be almost 20 ft away. Maybe more.

It is quite possible that they did not consider you in the immediate vicinity. My sinuses sometimes flow after a dive. Usually down the back so I have a large mouth full of snot. I do it over the side. Never occurred to me that somebody who was 20 ft away would take offense. What if you are 30 ft away and coming up? 40 ft?

There are no Kleenex on the boats I am on and the sign says to stay out of the head if I have a wet wetsuit.

There are a few approaches I could recommend. I'd take the polite approach initially. If he remained defiant, then turn on the full female hysteria thing using words like diseased, animal and disgusting loud enough so the whole boat can hear. A BCD inflator between the legs or weight belt dropped on the toe is always guaranteed to get someones attention. If he is the tough, earthy type you could highlight the practical benefits of the slime he was so casually discarding in defogging a mask and suggest that next time he collect it in a cup. If you don't think that would work then just learn to ignore him and the discharge. Truth be told, he probably just needs a good wife to knock him into shape. It was one of the treasured habits I learned to give up in early married life when showering - or at least learned to be more discrete about :wink:.

Keep in mind though that on a dive you are going to have to put up with a little more grossivity than normal. The skipper on the boat I dove from on the weekend made a polite request that people refrain from using the toilets as their buddies ascended from a dive as contents were deposited directly into the ocean. :blinking:

Often divers are completely unaware of the long, white and green slimy grubs crawling out of their nose and down the slippery slope towards their lips after a dive. Again a discrete word is usually all that is needed.

The massive dose of orangish-yellow sinus funk that diving flushes out of my head is promptly blown clear as soon as I'm out of the water, though I do make sure to not direct it into the water where others are.

But as Steve_C mentioned, the port bow is not near the port dive ladder... sounds like this guy failed to blast the snot far enough away from the boat if the globs were swept back towards you.

Maybe the boat could keep one of these on hand. Manufacturer's claim a range of at least 20 m.

Attachments

• Nose blow 2.jpg
    Nose blow 2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 346
It it was a panga and there was one diver seated between him and me. If we were more than 6 feet from one another, I would be surprised. Plus the surface current was moving very fast toward me. When I said he was at the front, I meant the first seat in the boat. There would be at least 10 or 15 feet of boat in front of him, including the captain's station. There is probably another 5 or 6 feet behind me occupied by a large camera tank, extra tanks, buckets etc and the engines. The ladder is on the side, more toward the back half of the boat than the front.

Maybe I read this wrong. But this fellow was at the front of the boat and did it over the side into the water. You were in the water getting onto the boat so I assume you were back off the stern on the same side.

Even on a small boat that should be almost 20 ft away. Maybe more.

It is quite possible that they did not consider you in the immediate vicinity. My sinuses sometimes flow after a dive. Usually down the back so I have a large mouth full of snot. I do it over the side. Never occurred to me that somebody who was 20 ft away would take offense. What if you are 30 ft away and coming up? 40 ft?

There are no Kleenex on the boats I am on and the sign says to stay out of the head if I have a wet wetsuit.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 07:46 AM ----------

Wives are a great civilizing factor. :wink:

Truth be told, he probably just needs a good wife to knock him into shape. It was one of the treasured habits I learned to give up in early married life...

Really? Don't be such a baby. You're already swimming in a pool of fish, shark, whale piss and Sh.t. And licking some of it off your lips when you get out. Get real.

I launch snot rockets all the time when doing sport outdoors. It sucks when your nose is dripping and you have no other way to clean it. While I do it as a last resort and try not to hit people, I find it funny when girls are grossed out by it and then they go home and kiss the dog after it was eating its own **** all day or leave a bloody mess in the public toilets they visit...

Haha thanks for a great read. I'd hate to get stuck on a boat with you because who knows what I'd do that would offend you.

I'll clear all the crap out of my nose as soon as I hit the surface. I do the 'ol MOF and let 'er rip.
Then I also have the water right there to clean up 'cause there's always some side blast that sticks somewhere.
If someone doesn't like it then tough, it's diving, get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom