GUE Fundies For New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Primer Class, not fundies.

I thought about the Primer class. According to the published schedule there is exactly one Primer class left this year, 12/11. I should talk to the instructor of the course before proceeding. I am in Utah so I must travel for these classes and LA is the closest training location. The grunt/grin on a one day trip to LA is pretty high, 11 hours driving each way, but it will certainly cost less than a full week.

I thought about the Primer class. According to the published schedule there is exactly one Primer class left this year, 12/11. I should talk to the instructor of the course before proceeding. I am in Utah so I must travel for these classes and LA is the closest training location. The grunt/grin on a one day trip to LA is pretty high, 11 hours driving each way, but it will certainly cost less than a full week.

Well luckily you had one of GUE's top instructors chime in with his advice so not too worry about my thoughts. I am sure he probably looked at your athletic background as a guide to course selection. You may also wish to join GUE.com and download their new 503 page rec manual. Great resource. Good luck!

Last edited:
The schedule of classes on the GUE website don't paint a full picture of what's available. A class can easily be set up for another time if you and a few buddies can get something organized. Talk with prospective instructors about what works best for your schedule.

As for the GUE-F class in Dec in LA, I know a few of the divers signed up already. It's going to be a mix of newer and more experienced divers, most of whom have had no/little exposure to GUE/DIR. Your best bet is to talk with both Bob and Steve about what class (GUE-F or Primer) would best suit your needs.

As others have already mentioned, neither doubles nor a drysuit are required to take the class.

The schedule of classes on the GUE website don't paint a full picture of what's available. A class can easily be set up for another time if you and a few buddies can get something organized.

Good suggestion. I have asked my buddies and no one is interested. The Wasatch Front appears to be a GUE dead zone. I did talk to one instructor at a LDS that trains a large number of technical divers. I received a 10 minute lecture on the evils of GUE followed by five minutes of why I should enroll in their classes.

There is one listed GUE fundamentals instructor in the state. To my knowledge he does not teach GUE at all. I did try to contact him a while back through his affiliated dive shop but received no response.

talk with both Bob and Steve about what class (GUE-F or Primer) would best suit your needs.

I emailed Bob some questions. I don't want to bother someone on the weekend. I will follow up later in the week. I should call the Primer instructor as well.

Honestly the Primer class is looking like a great option right now. I won't have to take off work and I will certainly learn some basic skills. Once done, I can decide when and where to take the fundies class. I am sure the Primer class will make fundies more enjoyable as well.

It is never too early to begin to build good habits, ...

I have taken up a lot of sports-related activities in my lifetime, and in almost all of them I have tried to learn and practice on my own before getting competent instruction. In each case, unlearning bad habits acquired through my self-teaching phase was the hardest thing to do once I started getting proper instruction.

I have never seen a benefit to ingraining poor technique before learning good technique, despite the many SB posters who say the opposite.

The plan right now is to call tomorrow about a primer course either local or in LA with the possibility of attending a fundamentals course at a later date. The primer class is the least cost way to settle my concern about whether or not I am ready for the fundamentals class. I would hate to spend two days traveling and four days lodging only to discover I made the wrong choice. This approach that fits best with my stepwise approach to any important endeavor. Once finished with primer I can make an informed decision about when and where to take the fundamentals class.

My thanks to everyone for your advice.

I have taken up a lot of sports-related activities in my lifetime, and in almost all of them I have tried to learn and practice on my own before getting competent instruction. In each case, unlearning bad habits acquired through my self-teaching phase was the hardest thing to do once I started getting proper instruction.

I have never seen a benefit to ingraining poor technique before learning good technique, despite the many SB posters who say the opposite.

You can aquire good habits with a good mentor.

You can aquire good habits with a good mentor.

And you can acquire bad habits with a bad Mentor.

How does a new diver know the difference?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom