GUE Fundies For New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either class is going to be great for you. I'm aware of most of the people in the class in late December, it will be taught by both Steve Millington and Bob. There is no way your going wrong with that combination. I did my class with Steve earlier in the year and I really enjoyed it.

I took fundies around the 200 dive mark and really regretted that I didn't do it sooner. After completing the course I realized I had 200 dives worth of bad habits and 200 dives where I could have had better skills which would equate to a more enjoyable overall experience.

Regardless of what is scheduled I'd highly recommend speaking directly with Bob and Steve to get their guidance on what is best for you. They are the diving professionals and were just a bunch of chumps online. If the late December class doesn't work they will work something out for you. GUE doesn't just run classes that are published. For my class a group of us approached Steve directly, scheduled the dates and then it was posted on the site as a formality. In reality, it was filled before it ever actually posted. This isn't to say that they are all that way, I'm just saying it is an option.

Whatever you do, your going to have a great time and you'll learn a ton! Of all the GUE instructors I've met, your really hard pressed not to find a top notch, fun educator. They really are a phenomenal organization.

You're better off calling Bob; he's on the road so much that e-mail is a bit spotty for him, but he's extremely good about phone calls.

You're better off calling Bob; he's on the road so much that e-mail is a bit spotty for him, but he's extremely good about phone calls.

Likewise for Steve.

Regardless of what is scheduled I'd highly recommend speaking directly with Bob and Steve to get their guidance on what is best for you. They are the diving professionals and were just a bunch of chumps online.

Cody, I know you have utmost respect for Bob and Steve, so I think you need to add an apostrophe in the last sentence in the word "were" since you just called them chumps online. LOL. I'm not the spelling police, but I think you might want to edit typo in this instance. ;-)

Cody, I know you have utmost respect for Bob and Steve, so I think you need to add an apostrophe in the last sentence in the word "were" since you just called them chumps online. LOL. I'm not the spelling police, but I think you might want to edit typo in this instance. ;-)

Damn you stupid 'were' I hate that word sooooo much. I never get it right.

The plan right now is to call tomorrow about a primer course either local or in LA with the possibility of attending a fundamentals course at a later date. The primer class is the least cost way to settle my concern about whether or not I am ready for the fundamentals class. I would hate to spend two days traveling and four days lodging only to discover I made the wrong choice. This approach that fits best with my stepwise approach to any important endeavor. Once finished with primer I can make an informed decision about when and where to take the fundamentals class.

My thanks to everyone for your advice.

Kevin - I had both Bob and Steve for my Fundies class and thought they were a perfect mix of teaching styles.

You won't be disappoint if you go with either or both classes, or instructors.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Kevin, I did my fundies with about 25 dives on me.... it was excellent!
I have been around when Bob is teaching , he is very good....and will be a big help if you talk to him about your concerns....
Cheers, Anne

The plan right now is to call tomorrow about a primer course either local or in LA with the possibility of attending a fundamentals course at a later date. The primer class is the least cost way to settle my concern about whether or not I am ready for the fundamentals class. I would hate to spend two days traveling and four days lodging only to discover I made the wrong choice. This approach that fits best with my stepwise approach to any important endeavor. Once finished with primer I can make an informed decision about when and where to take the fundamentals class.

My thanks to everyone for your advice.

I think this is absolutely the correct option! Primer is a really great class for a new diver. As TSandM mentioned earlier, if you're able to hover (fairly horizontal, close to in trim, nearly motionlessly) and watch a demonstration, then you're ready for Fundies. But if that doesn't quite sound like where your skills are at the moment (or if you just want to get an idea about what GUE training is all about), Primer really is the way to go.

Bob and Steve are both really great instructors and really beautiful to watch in the water. You cannot go wrong with either of these instructors....and if you're lucky enough to get to take classes with both of them, even better!

Also, as has been mentioned before, the best way to get into a class is to call an instructor and set something up. It's somewhat rare that people see an open class on the schedule and jump in (at least locally). What most people I know have done is to get a group of buddies together and set up a class....or call an instructor and see if he has time to set up a class and find some buddies to join you.

Keep us updated as to what you decide on! If you're around socal much, shoot me a PM and we'll go out diving. We have an active local community and are always looking for excuses to dive!

I think this is absolutely the correct option! Primer is a really great class for a new diver.

Thanks. I know I have a lot to learn and I would prefer not to rush in. I also need to get better integrated into my local dive community and find a stable dive team. I know some people but none besides myself that at interested in DIR. Before I start recruiting people I need to be sure the DIR philosophy is right for me and be able to speak intelligently about it.

BTW, if anyone knows any DIR divers in the Salt Lake City metro area (Denver doesn't count) please point me in their direction. I am at -1 for DIR divers so far.

Damn you stupid 'were' I hate that word sooooo much. I never get it right.

Its like "it's".

Its always hard to remember which "it's" to use, what with it's different meanings and all.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom