GUE Fundies For New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I know I have a lot to learn and I would prefer not to rush in. I also need to get better integrated into my local dive community and find a stable dive team. I know some people but none besides myself that at interested in DIR. Before I start recruiting people I need to be sure the DIR philosophy is right for me and be able to speak intelligently about it.

BTW, if anyone knows any DIR divers in the Salt Lake City metro area (Denver doesn't count) please point me in their direction. I am at -1 for DIR divers so far.

Just curious, what are your buddies objections to GUE? I'd bet if they could take an open, objective look at what they have to offer they may be willing to re consider.

Its like "it's".

Its always hard to remember which "it's" to use, what with it's different meanings and all.

:wink:

I blame spell check.

BTW, if anyone knows any DIR divers in the Salt Lake City metro area (Denver doesn't count) please point me in their direction. I am at -1 for DIR divers so far.
There was a diver from Park City that I met at the Crater a few months ago that was DIR or considering taking it. Let me see if I still have their contact info or maybe they were here on SB. :idk:

Its like "it's".

Its always hard to remember which "it's" to use, what with it's different meanings and all.

:wink:
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs. :wink:

It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs. :wink:

Awesome

Just curious, what are your buddies objections to GUE? I'd bet if they could take an open, objective look at what they have to offer they may be willing to re consider.

The one diver I have met that is adamantly anti-GUE is not a buddy. :)

As for my buddies, it's pretty standard stuff: not interested in tech/cave, I am already certified, I already have gear, not PADI - no thanks. If I can even interest a few then I have a start.

For the record I have zero interest in cave and tech is still many years away. I just want to be a better more educated diver and have a closer team around me. I enjoy the simplicity of a DIR setup because it closely emulates my approach to my other outdoor endeavors such as hiking, climbing, and skiing. Brains first, gear second.

As for my buddies, it's pretty standard stuff: not interested in tech/cave, I am already certified, I already have gear, not PADI - no thanks. If I can even interest a few then I have a start.

For the record I have zero interest in cave and tech is still many years away. I just want to be a better more educated diver and have a closer team around me. I enjoy the simplicity of a DIR setup because it closely emulates my approach to my other outdoor endeavors such as hiking, climbing, and skiing. Brains first, gear second.

You may have to do what I did: take the classes and hunt down buddies by being the biggest dive slut in your area :wink:. J/k.

What I will say, is that if you do take the class and continuously apply the skills and knowledge to all of your diving without being a pr*ck, buddies will find you. I am still in search of a recreational-level GUE buddy (almost all around here are tech-oriented), but the skills I have learned and the mindset that GUE promotes in it's classes do lend themselves to diving with even non-GUE divers and I've found myself in the company of some very proficient local divers who, despite not being GUE or UTD, are excellent dive buddies and we really do enjoy diving together because we know that each other is a dependable and competent dive buddy.

Peace,
Greg

You may find people in the class you can dive with after. Or, you may find that your diving progresses significantly compared to the people who are currently "anti-DIR".

They may become more interested once they see your progression. It's hard to argue with a good, healthy, team minded approach when combined with good in-water skills.

Plus, we got cookies ... :wink:

Hi Kevin,

The activities that you listed in your profile prove that you can control your mind (emotions) and your body. With that you have an excellent chance to get a lot out of the Fundies and have a good chance to pass them. Even if you get a provisional (one area needs improvement) you will be miles ahead of the naysayers.

The Fundies may be challenging but it is a class not just a test. This may not be the right venue for people who are brain-dead, lazy, lack will-power, or are total klutzes. But you do not seem to fall in those categories. Therefore, you have no excuse :D

I just talked to Bob Sherwood (NY) and he is planning to offer Fundies in FL sometime between the 2nd half of January and the beginning of February. This would be a nice break from the snow. Gear can be shipped and tanks are available locally.

Ed Hayes (CT) is offering at least one, possibly two of those gatherings in FL.

You will hear some sentiments against GUE, or DIR in general, that may convey a fear of becoming minions to a team-before-everything philosophy or a slave to gear standardisation. I have even heard references to 'gear nazis'.

This is total BS. I took a one day workshop with Ed and was simply blown away. Before you get to the team and the gear part it is about you, your mind, your body, and the water. There is no point in having a team if the members are out of control, just bumbeling around. All the gear is not going to help you if you cannot move your body correctly. And everything comes apart if your mind goes into a tailspin over a solvable problem.

Even if you never dive again with a DIR or GUE diver (which is unlikely) or decide to totally ignore any aspect of the DIR philosophy afterwards (which is equally unlikely) you will get a whole lot closer to the water and much more comfortable in it with a GUE course.

I have a suspicion that those guys are really fish with a second job as land-based humans. Unless you can talk your local striped bass into showing you some tricks (I am trying), they are, in my opinion, your next best choice for making the water your second home.

(That is not to say that there are not excellent instructors in other organizations. But there it is hit and miss whereas in the small circle of GUE instructors you cannot possibly go wrong).

Last edited:
Quick update…

I spoke with Bob this morning. Well Bob spoke and I listened. I will be signing up for the primer class on 12/11 in LA. I was sold once Bob made it clear to me that the primer class is really the first two days of the fundamentals class. This fits my style perfectly. I would rather spend the first two days of fundamentals reviewing and fine tuning skills while working on team dynamics than attempting to learn everything at once.

I will probably delay taking fundamentals until I can find a few more divers in my general area to form the core of a potential team. I have already had some encouraging private inquiries and referrals from potential instructors as well as students.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for their advice and encouragement. I will post updates from class. Assuming the instructor doesn't completely kick my ass.

I will post updates from class. Assuming the instructor doesn't completely kick my ass.

I am sure that he will. But that is exactly the point. He pushes you and your teammates until you fail, you re-group, and try again. That's how you grow. Training for 'instant success' is pointless because the reality of surviving underwater is not that gentle.

Yes, failing in an exercise hurts the ego but that is a good reality check while learning not to fail where it is much more costly. In my understanding, DIR was born in the realization that you cannot screw up where screwing up is not an option anymore. So you get the screwing up out of your system in the training.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom