Hearing about Kimber has really shaken me up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any diver that has an accident or mishap I hope the best for them and have a chance to wet again.

By reading and doing research on scubaboard im sure that I will get alot complaints about the following. Its my 2 cents though.

In my position at work I know all about accidents. As project manager I am directly responsible for everything that happens onsite including accidents. Whenever an accident/mis-hap happens its amazing how fast I get all of the factual details....were talking about minutes to an hour at the most I am in the complete know of everything. But with hours - days after that the story has skewed. And what is actually reported is/may be a different then the actual events.

What's irritating in the scuba world is all this "lets not speculate crap". Fact is the longer that the truth is hidden the less actual facts we will hear. Anybody in a senior management position that works within a dangerous environment will probably agree. Most law enforcement, safety personel, insurance personel, managers want to hear the speculation and any tip, lead, pin drop, lie ect cause within lies the truth.

In the end we may suffer the same result. Buy hey it was worth it cause we didn't speculate and hurt somebodys feelings. I know this sound harsh but I/we live in the real world. No body wants to hear the truth, truth hurts, we want hear lies or hear nothing at all cause it makes us feel good.

shellbackdiver1:
Any diver that has an accident or mishap I hope the best for them and have a chance to wet again.

By reading and doing research on scubaboard im sure that I will get alot complaints about the following. Its my 2 cents though.

In my position at work I know all about accidents. As project manager I am directly responsible for everything that happens onsite including accidents. Whenever an accident/mis-hap happens its amazing how fast I get all of the factual details....were talking about minutes to an hour at the most I am in the complete know of everything. But with hours - days after that the story has skewed. And what is actually reported is/may be a different then the actual events.

What's irritating in the scuba world is all this "lets not speculate crap". Fact is the longer that the truth is hidden the less actual facts we will hear. Anybody in a senior management position that works within a dangerous environment will probably agree. Most law enforcement, safety personel, insurance personel, managers want to hear the speculation and any tip, lead, pin drop, lie ect cause within lies the truth.

In the end we may suffer the same result. Buy hey it was worth it cause we didn't speculate and hurt somebodys feelings. I know this sound harsh but I/we live in the real world. No body wants to hear the truth, truth hurts, we want hear lies or hear nothing at all cause it makes us feel good.

Thank you.

shellbackdiver1:
The truth will come out. The victim in this case - as far as we know is still unable to speak to anyone.

In most cases, I would agree, that discussion of the facts and/or speculation is healthy, and can lead to good conclusions, and new safety practices.

In this case, I would say, "There is this thing called patience... Excercise it here."

Not the urge to give up diving but it does reinforce my belief in saying "I love you" to the people I care about. Anything can happen to anyone at any time, the problem with life is it's a terminal disease with no known cure and no way to accurately predict how much time you have left.
Ber

Example from what tedtim stated above.

My military experience is a great one. Worked in Naval Aviation comunity for 8 years. Pilot and RIO went flying....took off there mask at 35000 ft, waved to the wing man and then past out. Crashed and burned. Sad yes. Fact, they had their mask and helmet off....how did we know, usually when a helmet is found there is head inside of it.

What was actually reported was the pilots passed out due high concentration of nitrogen and low concentration of O2. Sure that was fact....one tiny detailed was left out though....see above.

This is what I mean by all the facts are usually known within minutes after the accident. Then everything is "hush hush".

I would like to know the details of the accident/occurance, but it's not really any of my business. I think the diving community can gain a lot by knowing the details, but fact is, we're not the ones doing the investigation so it's not our place to speculate, nor is the priority to give us the information.

Kimber, my thoughts are with you.

Accident analysis is a good thing.
But the problem is that we don't have any info to share yet.

fairybasslet:
I started thinking, maybe I should give up diving. I know I won't, but the thought crossed my mind. Do any of you have this reaction?

no, it never even crossed my mind

accidents will happen, but i believe diving is a safe activity. the odds of an
accident happening to me are so low that it does not bother me. i can live
with the small risk left over.

safety is an acceptable level of risk.

i don't have a second thought about getting into my car either, despite all
the traffic accidents. i still feel the odds are in my favor, and it's rational
to contine driving.

Walter:
Probably not. I hope I'm wrong.
I'm counting on Kimber's recovery in this case.

Most times, you are correct. The truth is never known, we only have speculation to go on, which personally, I think that blows.

Back
Top Bottom