Hearing about Kimber has really shaken me up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
Not the urge to give up diving but it does reinforce my belief in saying "I love you" to the people I care about.
Ber
Well said.........
I had a BAD mishap on some rocks in 8 ft. surf in Dec., I have dove the same sight since, but I have respect for that dive now......
I did sell my Motorcycle in L.A. years ago after the umteenth person turned left in front of me....but I have plans for another(wife says after the Kids graduate).

Do what YOU enjoy, if you have lost that enjoyment, well...................JImbo

mrjimboalaska:
I did sell my Motorcycle in L.A. years ago after the umteenth person turned left in front of me....

I'd expect them to try to hit you if you were in their side or rear view mirrors, but you're smack in front of them and they're still trying to kill you?

fairybasslet:
I started thinking, maybe I should give up diving. I know I won't, but the thought crossed my mind. Do any of you have this reaction? I know this is really kind of a silly question. I mean, when I hear about a car accident, I don't think about giving up driving. Same with plane crashes.
(Thinking about you Kimber and wishing you a full recovery.)

I'm going to provide a different perspective about the general subject you've raised. I think it's a good idea to periodically re-evaluate what we do in our lives. Change is often difficult, but sometimes it is the right thing to do. It's good to discuss these evaluations with others to get different points of view, being careful to not let opinions steer us towards an undesirable outcome. A great deal of honest introspection, and when required, concensus by those affected is necessary.

Many years ago I suffered serious injuries in a motorcycle accident. During a long recovery I had plenty of time for evaluation and many re-evaluations, opinions, and introspection. Riding was great fun and excitement. I had a blast. At the same time I realized I was pretty bold and daring, or reckless if you will, on a bike. I knew what went wrong and what to do to prevent it, but did not trust that I could make the necessary adjustments once back behind the handlebars. Everyone that I rode with had gone down at one time or another. Sometimes more than once. Sometimes suffering only a little road rash or insignificant bruise. Other times much greater and serious injuries, and some friends of friends ended their lives back in those days at a very young age. I concluded I had best give it up. As much as liked riding and would miss it, I was young with a life ahead of me. There were, and are, many other fun and exciting pursuits out there that I could perhaps practice a little safer. You never know what's around the next corner traveling down the road of life.

I've been on a bike since, but I no longer ride. I can see me riding one of those fat hogs for cruising around sometime in the future, under no illusions of safety. Those of you who ride will know what I mean. But I still don't think I trust myself on one of those fast sleek Japanese bikes. We all have our tripwires.

Pick any activity, and it will be someone's passion from which they can not live without. But if that is not the case, there is nothing wrong with moving on when an honest assessment indicates the time has come to move on to something else. I don't know what I would do if I suffered a serious dive accident or saw a few close friends fall. It's difficult enough reading about our online friends and acquaintances. I do everything I can, most of the time anyways, to hopefully never get to those crossroads. I do know that my passion for living and it's innumerable known and yet to be discovered wonders is greater than my passion for diving, as great as it is. There are not many things that I would willingly die for.

Regarding the accident at issue here, while I certainly respect the families wishes at this time I also agree with shellbackdiver1's opinion. At this time those with info are keeping it private except for a couple of brief statements that I believe are already being misinterpreted.

JS1scuba:
June 6, 2006On Saturday June 3rd 2006 Kimber was on our dive charter off the dive boat Lois Ann to the wreck of the Hogan. After her second dive she surfaced, made her way on to the dive platform and informed the crew she was not feeling well.

The crew of the Lois Ann got her onto the deck and began immediate first aid treatment. We then got the boat secured and underway while calling in for assistance from the USCG and other local agencies. She was transferred to primary care within an hour or so of the incident and then taken to a hospital for evaluation, medical care and treatment.

She is still in the hospital and being well cared for. Her family which includes her mother, aunt, and her boyfriend are maintaining constant contact with her care givers, nurses, and physicians. .

Kimber suffered a medical emergency while on a dive boat and was evacuated; this is not a dive accident that needs to be analyzed at this time. It is out of respect for her medical privacy that the family does not wish to discuss her condition. Her family has asked that you keep the chatter on this to a minimum and focus your energies on having good thoughts for her speedy recovery. The community support as demonstrated by the wishes on this board is something simply incredible.

All indications, based on the post above, are that this was a dive related accident.

lamont:
I'd expect them to try to hit you if you were in their side or rear view mirrors, but you're smack in front of them and they're still trying to kill you?

Unbelievable thing about riding a bike is: Even if you make direct eye contact as you approach a person about to pull out of a driveway or turn ahead of you, while you clearly have the right of way - they still cut you off. Time after time, being seen by car drivers while riding a motorcycle is not any different than not being seen.

Scuba:
All indications, based on the post above, are that this was a dive related accident.

Possibly, but we don't know. It could be a preexisting condition having nothing to do with diving.

Gentlemen,

unless any of you is psychic, we still don't know what exactly happened and what the cause of it was. Please refrain from speculation.

D_B:
when I talked to her mom, that was one thing she said that she did not want to have speculation out there ..
Thank you.

Walter:
Possibly, but we don't know. It could be a preexisting condition having nothing to do with diving.

Just to clarify a point. Maybe sometimes I interpret things too literally, as in the meaning of related being some type of association. Not necessarily the direct causal factor.

Scuba:
Just to clarify a point. Maybe sometimes I interpret things too literally, as in the meaning of related being some type of association. Not necessarily the direct causal factor.

It may be a dive injury, it may be something aggravated by diving, it may be something totally unrelated to diving. We've seen nothing to indicate one is more likely than another. We don't know.

Walter:
It may be a dive injury, it may be something aggravated by diving, it may be something totally unrelated to diving. We've seen nothing to indicate one is more likely than another. We don't know.
and - as many mods have reminded people - NOW is NOT the time to take WAG's as to what happened. Even an assumption that it WAS dive related is speculation at this point.

Back
Top Bottom