Heated Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Sounds like a pretty robust system. I don't have any direct experience with it....perhaps the point being that the heaters out there are improving (even if they're not getting cheaper) to the point where the need for a new system is questionable unless it closes the price gap.
The "killer" is batteries. Heating pads need lots of juice. The uw connectors aren't cheap either. ($70 for the bulkhead that is on the drysuit)

Thats why I was saying $150 is a pipedream. Thats not enough cash to even buy the batteries.

JeffG:
I know someone using a motorcycle heating vest and was getting shocked and he just turned off his suit heatrer. I was flooding a bit, but with my patco I just keep on going.

YMMV

Sounds like Steve S's system.

Scuba_Steve:
Sounds like Steve S's system.
The motorcycle vest, yes. It can be shocking at times :wink:

(But it does heat up the diver better than the patco heater.)

SOCOM2025:
...a new heated dive suit that will allow divers to dive in extreme cold water -30 to below normal diving conditions...
Can water ever get to below-freezing temperatures without freezing?:confused: -30 sounds like an exaggeration.

Zingtea:
Can water ever get to below-freezing temperatures without freezing?:confused: -30 sounds like an exaggeration.

I had a dive once where the computers (mine and my buddy's) were showing -2C. That was plenty cold.

R..

Was there a current? Or does the salt play a factor?

Yah, 28°f or -2°C are very common in the right weather & conditions. Freshwater needs to have a heavy surge or current & seawater just needs to have nasty cold weather topside.
You can still do about 4 hrs in an unheated drysuit, or a pair of 4 hour shifts per day with a few hours between.
Hot water suits are like sitting in a bath tub, you can stay in all day & whistle happily while you're doing it.
The old electric suits the Navy had were always good for zapping a guy, you could taste your fillings dissolving...

The problem isn't HOW to heat the suit - It's HOW to protect the diver in the event of a critical failure.

The problem with a heated suit is that it will always operate secondary to sufficient warm clothing.

If you dont wear garments that will keep you warm regardless of temperature, and you're on a deco dive, and your suit heater fails, then you could freeze during your emergency ascent (following deco proceedures of course).

If you DO wear enough garmets, you've circumvented the whole point of the heater in the first place. So what's the point? It's cheaper and more effective to just wear warm clothing.

The concept has application, but nothing beyond rec diving at this point IMHO - I dont think tec divers would be interested in adding another risk to manage to their stacked set.

rbolander:
The concept has application, but nothing beyond rec diving at this point IMHO - I dont think tec divers would be interested in adding another risk to manage to their stacked set.
Then you thought wrong. A suit heater is a nice addition, but the one thing you got right was that the diver needs to be able to do the in water time without the heater.

Hi I just recieved a US.Patent for a heated underwater dive suit and would like some feed back on future sales and buyers Patent#7306403 tell me what you think

Back
Top Bottom