Help A Newbie, Please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome, that clears things up!

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

On BCD, I kind of have my eye on Sea Quest Passport or Sherwood Scuba Tortuga . I like the idea of it being light and travel friendly (all my dives so far had been all overseas). Since these particular products are being advertised as "traveling BCs", is there anything that I'm sacrificing here and did they take any important feature of a regular BC? Any experiece with these BCs at all? Comment on these particular BCs would be truly appreciated.

After some research, I find out that the array of products out in the market is staggering and it's hard to get through all the hypes and other marketing bonanzas. Anyway, so far here's my tentative list:

BCD: Sea Quest Passport ($320) or Sherwood Scuba Tortuga ($400).

Regulator: Oceanic Delta 4 ($500) or Zeagle ZX/50D ($500) . Matching Octo is about $100.

Wetsuit: Henderson 3MM ($250)

Computer: Suunto Stinger ($550).

Total: $1,620 - 1,800 (before any discount and/or tax)

Obviously, I'll be going over my budget with these 4 items alone. I estimated with mask, fins and snorkel, I'll be around $2,000. But I'd rather invest in good (at least I hope they are) equipment now that will grow with me as I progress with this hobby.

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track or am I smoking something funny?

Or should I just blow the whole funds on a camera housing? :D

Thanks again.

island_diver:
Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

On BCD, I kind of have my eye on Sea Quest Passport or Sherwood Scuba Tortuga . I like the idea of it being light and travel friendly (all my dives so far had been all overseas). Since these particular products are being advertised as "traveling BCs", is there anything that I'm sacrificing here and did they take any important feature of a regular BC? Any experiece with these BCs at all? Comment on these particular BCs would be truly appreciated.

After some research, I find out that the array of products out in the market is staggering and it's hard to get through all the hypes and other marketing bonanzas. Anyway, so far here's my tentative list:

BCD: Sea Quest Passport ($320) or Sherwood Scuba Tortuga ($400).

Regulator: Oceanic Delta 4 ($500) or Zeagle ZX/50D ($500) . Matching Octo is about $100.

Wetsuit: Henderson 3MM ($250)

Computer: Suunto Stinger ($550).

Total: $1,620 - 1,800 (before any discount and/or tax)

Obviously, I'll be going over my budget with these 4 items alone. I estimated with mask, fins and snorkel, I'll be around $2,000. But I'd rather invest in good (at least I hope they are) equipment now that will grow with me as I progress with this hobby.

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track or am I smoking something funny?

Or should I just blow the whole funds on a camera housing? :D

Thanks again.

It is hard to make a suggestion without knowing more about you but...

I would reconsider the Oceanis Delta 4. If your choice is limited to the Oceanic line then I would offer that the Delta 3 might be a better choice and lless expensive by about a hundred bucks. I see some problems with Oceanic's new product (Delta 4)...specifically the new "Dry Reg Technology" thingy looks like a trouble maker and all the plastic covering ain't a good thing either.

I can't comment on the Zeagle regs (since I don't have much exposure to them).

Island Diver, here's an alternative approach:

Dacor Falcon (light, back-inflate BC): $225.00
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item.../Context_954/Sort_SKU/Filter_2=183/DCRFC.html

SeaElite Tech w/ Evo Regulator: $200.00
http://diverssupplyusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16855
(this is the reg i use for my cave diving; has never given me trouble)

SeaElite Quest Octo: $60.00
http://diverssupplyusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16816
(this was my original octo. never gave me any trouble)

Sea Elite 3mm Farmer John Wetsuit: $120.00
http://diverssupplyusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16263
(this is the same one i use. i still have original and use it)

Cressi Mini Sub Pressure Gauge: $85.00
http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Gauges.asp

Aeris Atmos 2 Wrist Computer: $290.00
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item...54/Sort_SKU/Filter_2=51&3=53&1=31/AERA2W.html
(this is the computer i use. love it)

Total: $980.00

something like this is a quality package that you can edit later as your
interests in diving change (which they are bound to). also, once you
have done a few dives, have gotten the "lay of the land" better, equipment-wise,
you'll be in a better position to decide where you want to go later.

I don't know how you arrived at these suggestions, and don't know enough about some of these specific products to comment on them, but ...

If you haven't already, I would read three articles on Rodale's site about how much to spend on a regulator, another rating some budget regulators, and a third rating a broad range of regulators, including some under $300, $300-400, and over $400 - I think a lot of people spend much more than they need to to be happy. I'm not saying that the more expensive regulators aren't actually better, or worth what they cost, or even necessary for some applications, but some of them may be better in ways that don't matter very much for the kind of diving you want to do.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/how_much_should_you_spend_on_a_regulator?/
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/16_new_budget_regulators/
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/the_mother_of_all_reg_reviews/

If you haven't looked at several regs for less money than you are planning to spend and ruled them out for a good reason (and maybe you have good reasons for ruling them out), I would at least consider that option. I would look at both the Aqualung Titan and Atomic Z1, for example, but there are other good manufacturers with good regulators in the lower price ranges (including less expensive Oceanic and Zeagle regulators that may be better choices for your budget).

I don't know if the Henderson suit is worth paying almost twice as much as some other 3mm suits - like the Bare Velocity (which offers a lot of sizes), for example. It may be a better suit, but I don't know how much better (or warmer, which is the most important point) it might be.

I know nothing about the two BCDs you mentioned (except that I have seen a Passport, for what that's worth). I wouldn't worry so much about what they might have left out - I am inclined to think that the more "features" they left out, the better - but about the fundamental quality of what they left in. The fundamentals are what matters, and I doubt they will have left out anything important.

I think you have a lot of choices in a computer, including other Suunto models and Oceanic computers, that are of very good quality and will serve you for a long time, for less money than the Stinger, although it looks like a very nice product. If you wanted something less expensive for use only as a dive computer (not also doing duty as a watch), look at the other Suuntos and at the Oceanic computers, too.

Diver0001:
Buy your weights from an Auction site. They're about 10 times more expensive if you buy them new and there is nothing about weights that can break or wear out. R..

I have to question this. You really suggest paying to ship lead? I bought my lead used from my LDS for about $1.00 a lb..

Joe

I should say that i am a bit partial to what i currently use, but hey, if people use something and like it enough to reccomend that sure says something. I dive mainly SP and love it, and I really like the warraty and how they stand behind their product, they have been around a long time.
I am giving SP published SRP prices, but I know my LDS sells well below that.

mask: anything that fits ($50-75)

snorkel: anything that reaches the surface ($20-35)

wetsuit: Scubapro Everflex $349(should be able to get it for $299) 7mm most likely, good ones are about 300, you can find cheap stuff though, but I wouldn't wear it.

reg/first stage: SP mk2plus/R390 system $329 (this is the one I started out with)

BC: Knighthawk w/A2 $635 That price also includes your secondary air source, you save some money there, plus there are other advantages like a simplier setup

Computer/Gauges: Uwatec Aladin PRIME 3 gauge $425 has nice large compass, lifetime batter replacement free, that one is a console type.

Gauges: (if you want to save money) 3 gauge console $266

Gloves: 3mm Glove in whatever fits around $40

Boots: 5mm whatever you like around $40

Hood: around $40 7mm

Fins: Jet Fin $80 Classic fin, unchanged in 40 years

Knife: not required but always nice in a pinch, on a budget the DIR guys got it right with the $3 stainless from wally-world.

Guess that puts my list at $1961 with a computer and $1802 with gauges, but those are both at full retail, you should be able to save a good 20% off all of that. remember to throw in an extra $100 for other wierd stuff, weights, bag, wetsuit and BC hanger etc. The wetsuit is especially important to hang, storing it folded puts creases in the sides, it will break down faster.

1802 with 20% discount= 1441 plus sales tax.

I must also stress, don't go mail order or internet, you won't be buying a tank and you will have to rent one someplace. Don't piss off the local dive shop, they are a great asset and a bridge you shouldn't burn while not having buddies etc. You will need to have gear assembled, serviced etc. When I got my gear, for a year afterwards I got free tank rentals on HP steel tanks and 20-30% off on the gear. That beats a website for service any day. Talk to your LDS and work out a deal, if they have fill cards, get them to throw one in or something like that. For a new diver, working with your shop will help you grow and get in more bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom