Help Choosing My First Computer?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DG03, $250, $500 with transmitter. $100 for USB cable, well under $680 and you can actually read the screen.

The amphos air isn't a bad computer, but is having something the size of a watch worth $80 to you and are you confident you'll be able to see it. With the larger screens you don't have to stretch so far to read the screen.

If you're going to spend that much on a computer, you may as well get the Nitek Q or the Petrel, both of which are infinitely better computers than either of them just don't have AI and if you're going to be renting semi regularly, then AI is really a waste of money

Renting will only be like a once or twice a year thing.

A bit of experience speaking. If you want AI get it. You can always have the spg and ignore the PSI info on the computer if you want. I wanted AI and I listened to the experts thinking it wasn't something I needed or something I would want. Well, I really did want it and it ended up costing me extra because I ended up buying another computer.

dmoore, that's why the DG03 is the best option because it is truly the most versatile computer out there and is a killer price. $250 for a multigas nitrox computer, has AI ability if you want it, has gauge mode if you need it as a backup for technical diving down the road. None of the other computers can touch it at that price point.

Ok I'm pretty dead set on the DG03. I'm gonna hold off on a transmitter right now though. Thank guys.

Good choice! I am a happy user of the dg03. Simple yet flexible about gas.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 09:26 AM ----------

here is my only complaint with the puck air w/compass. Where is safetystop 613 - YouTube

argue what you want, i'm not worried about hitting the 50 bar mark during ss and running out of air.
I saw the video... What's the complaint? Sorry if its a duh moment for me..

This computer does not start a 3 minute countdown if the air is at or below 50 bar. Other computers give you a 3 minute countdown. So one would need an alternate timing device, or, alternatively, use the dive timer on the screen already. There is no stopwatch feature with this computer.

And if you hit 50 bar, it stops the countdown and starts flashing low air. I raised it to Mares and they told me that's the way it is supposed to work. The manual does not call out this issue. It just says it will give a low air indication - it never says it will abort the 3 minute countdown timer.

There are many other ways to accomplish the same thing - for example, the computer could do the safety stop countdown and alternately flash low air.

I think the lawyers may have gotten their way with this one, because Mares would not want liability if the computer was counting down a 3 minute safety stop continued in an out of air situation. But 50 bar? Really? It's my complaint to an otherwise great device.

Ok now I get it. I am only planning to get a wireless AI transmitter for my dg03 so I wasn't aware of this feature because I never used it so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom