Help Choosing My First Computer?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok now I get it. I am only planning to get a wireless AI transmitter for my dg03 so I wasn't aware of this feature because I never used it so far.

flylow47 is talking about the Mares Puck Air not the DG03. I have yet to find any complaints on the DG03.

The DG03 is just another name for the Aeris Elite T3 (which I've used since 2009) or Oceanic VT3. It's a solid computer. I do not consider it an intro-to-tech computer. Call me silly, but I prefer a computer that's either rec or tech and not half in/half out.

If you like the wireless AI option, then go for it. My setup was about $1000 five years ago. Crazy to think that the similar setup is only half the price now. AI transmitter haven't killed me yet in my 300+ rec dives.

BTW, if you have the transmitter, you can still take it with you and install it on a rental reg. I doubt that the rental shop is going to forbid you to do it.

BTW, if you have the transmitter, you can still take it with you and install it on a rental reg. I doubt that the rental shop is going to forbid you to do it.

I don't know if I would go that far with it. Only reason I will take it with me on trips where I will use rental gear is to log my dives that I make. I don't think it would be worth it to install the transmitter on rental gear just to record my air consumption, cause regardless when I rent a rig they're going to provide some kind of depth and tank pressure monitoring device be it computer or analog.

Do you know how simple it is to put a transmitter on? The whole operation should take less than a minute.

Read the information concerning a voluntary recall on the DG03 AI (see link below). I don't know if the issue has been resolved, but I would like into it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...oluntary-recall-what-about-aeris-oceanic.html

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 08:25 AM ----------

Here's another link related to the recall. Again, I don't know if the issue has been resolved.

Hollis Recalls Digital Dive Computers Due to Drowning Hazard | CPSC.gov

It's an issue with DG03s that have Firmware 1A. All the ones being sold right now have the newer Firmware 1B.

Thanks

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 09:48 AM ----------

toddville393 - not sure where you saw the Sherwood Wisdom 3 on LP for $590. I see it for $750. Was it a limited time special?

Not mention that you should have an analog SPG as back up to any transmitter. That's just common sense. If your transmitter battery dies your diving is over. Even if the computer is still working. I'd love to know who is doing your instruction and what they are telling you about gear. :shakehead:

I agree but it is on the boat not on my rig. Sure, I have had to abort one dive due to a transmitter failure. Actually only about 15 minutes since I use my pressure gauge to confirm not define my air remaining. Pulled the transmitter and put a gauge into the port and I was back in business during the surface interval.

Transmitters do fail and I would offer that they are the weakest link in the chain. I have had two of them fail in 400 dives. Once during a dive and once during a checkout on the dive deck.

Back
Top Bottom