Help Choosing My First Computer?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if I would go that far with it. Only reason I will take it with me on trips where I will use rental gear is to log my dives that I make. I don't think it would be worth it to install the transmitter on rental gear just to record my air consumption, cause regardless when I rent a rig they're going to provide some kind of depth and tank pressure monitoring device be it computer or analog.

why would you not want to use your own gear as much as possible? Would you rather spend the dive time getting familiar with a different dive computer/SPG, or would you rather use what you've paid for and familiar with?

why would you not want to use your own gear as much as possible? Would you rather spend the dive time getting familiar with a different dive computer/SPG, or would you rather use what you've paid for and familiar with?
Just less things to pack cause airline baggage fees are outrageous nowadays. I'm diving Oahu in October and still debating on bringing my stuff. Once all my gear comes in an I see how well it packs then I'll decide if I'm going to bring it or not and then based off that experience it will determine if I bring or don't bring my gear on future trips.

The DG03 gets good reviews here. It also has gauge mode should you decide to go into Tech. And then it would make a great backup to your Shearwater Petrel.

Excellent recommendations.
My first DC was a DG03 (bought it online for $616, including AI transmitter and every other available accessory).
Now I use it in gauge mode alongside my Petrel, which I am very happy with.
I did a lot of research and asking around before buying my computers, and I think it's going to be very hard to top the Petrel.
But for a beginner computer, the DG03 is great.

The DG03 is just another name for the Aeris Elite T3 (which I've used since 2009) or Oceanic VT3. It's a solid computer. I do not consider it an intro-to-tech computer. Call me silly, but I prefer a computer that's either rec or tech and not half in/half out.

If you like the wireless AI option, then go for it. My setup was about $1000 five years ago. Crazy to think that the similar setup is only half the price now. AI transmitter haven't killed me yet in my 300+ rec dives.

BTW, if you have the transmitter, you can still take it with you and install it on a rental reg. I doubt that the rental shop is going to forbid you to do it.
So is the oceanic WiFi transmitter certified to work with the Hollis DG03?

Sent from MiPad

Just buy the dg03 and leave the transmitter. It's not needed and when it costs more than the computer it seems a waste of money.

I already use the DG03. I was thinking an integrated air monitor will help me track my SAC rates accurately - either in the DC itself or using softwares like subsurface. The idea of spending the money is to monitor and log my physiological performance just like a jogging run keeper. I wonder if there is a heart rate monitor for scuba?

Damn! Why aren't they integrated into a DC already..?! !
P

I already use the DG03. I was thinking an integrated air monitor will help me track my SAC rates accurately - either in the DC itself or using softwares like subsurface. The idea of spending the money is to monitor and log my physiological performance just like a jogging run keeper. I wonder if there is a heart rate monitor for scuba?

Damn! Why aren't they integrated into a DC already..?! !
P

I also monitor my SAC rate using the DG03 with AI and the factory software.
It has glitched out on me a couple of times (usually combining two dives into one), but that is easily fixed.

The Galileo Sol has a heart rate monitor, and the Galileo Luna has an optional heart rate upgrade should you want it.

Still waiting for the Doppler ultrasound option...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom