Hey Hoover ~ Did you ruin someone's dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gasgirl, congratulations on just completing the Enriched Air Nitrox certification. Understanding partial pressure concepts (which you obviously do) is not always intuitive at first. I guess that is why study and certification is required.

gasgirl:
I don't think you are correct in saying that if a person breathes more gas (ie. hoovers) there is a higher rate of nitrogen loading. Nitrogen loading is related to the partial pressure gradient of the tissue compartments which is ultimately determined by the concentration of nitrogen in the mix you are breathing, the absolute atmospheric pressure (your depth), and the time to achieve equilibrium. Can anyone else comment on this.... (I'm not sure how but can this question be referred to Dr. Deco?)
thank you gasgirl that is what i was thinking but it never hurts to get an second opinion! nothing in my books mention the amount of air consumed nor size of the tank, just depth and time. thanks again mike

liberato:
gasgirl, congratulations on just completing the Enriched Air Nitrox certification. Understanding partial pressure concepts (which you obviously do) is not always intuitive at first. I guess that is why study and certification is required.

My husband and I took the EANx course before our trip to Bonaire thanks to some great advice on Scubaboard! We were so happy we did when we saw that the Nitrox course in Bonaire advertised "60 min course...No books!No exams!"

Unfortunately, there was an explosion at the electrical plant on the island and we had rolling blackouts for the entire week we were there. The self-serve airfill stations had both Nitrox and air cylinders but because there were more divers using air, they were running short of air cylinders. We overheard a couple of divers returning their empty air cylinders say "Hey! They're out of air... I guess we'll just dive Nitrox!"

Moral of the story: The more I learn... the more I don't know.

RiverRat:
That's a great idea. I think the dive ops should make decent pony systems available for rent too. It would be great for single divers using insta-buddies. It would be additional revenue as well for the operation. Then again, I could see divers abusing it and not really using it for redundancy.

Thanks for the suggestion! I am heading out to Thailand to dive at the end of the month and if I can not get a bigger tank then I 'll see if that is a possiblity. I also think there would be a good market for the extra tank. I know I would not mind paying a bit more for a better experience and not having to cut someone elses dive short.

large and lovely:
Thanks for the suggestion! I am heading out to Thailand to dive at the end of the month and if I can not get a bigger tank then I 'll see if that is a possiblity. I also think there would be a good market for the extra tank. I know I would not mind paying a bit more for a better experience and not having to cut someone elses dive short.

RiverRat:
Then again, I could see divers abusing it and not really using it for redundancy.

Apparently so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A smaller tank carried as a stage and breathed down first before switching to the main tank isn't a bad idea at all... and it isn't what I would consider abusing a pony. The size and placement of the tank isn't what differentiates a pony from a stage... use does.

A smaller tank carried as a stage and breathed down first before switching to the main tank

What happens if your main tank malfunctions for what ever reason? Do you leave a 300-500 psi in the first tank for your safety margin?

Sorry, not really 'Hover' related questions, just curious.

Michael Freeman:
What happens if your main tank malfunctions for what ever reason? Do you leave a 300-500 psi in the first tank for your safety margin?

Sorry, not really 'Hover' related questions, just curious.

If you're worried about that, rock bottom for a single person at 120 fsw is going to be 1500 psi in an AL40. That would only give you a 20 cu ft extension to your backgas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom