Hey Hoover ~ Did you ruin someone's dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So your makeshift stage doubles as a bailout bottle! Holy overcomplicated recreational gas plan, Batman!

Michael Freeman:
What happens if your main tank malfunctions for what ever reason? Do you leave a 300-500 psi in the first tank for your safety margin?
Using a stage to save/extend backgas is not a beginner skill nor is it something to be undertaken without training/practice IMO. (It is, however, a legitimate tactic for those who know what they are doing.)

But think about this:
It would be easier/better to use the extra gas as a stage at the beginning of a dive and make the switch while everything is just peachy than to use the extra gas as a bailout/pony and have to make the switch while everything is going sideways.

Yet how many folks carry a pony and have never practiced making the switch under duress as would be the case in formal training with technical diving using stages!

So my point is: a pony isn't the answer to any question... but especially not for hoovers who are generally (though not always) n00bs.

I agree, too complex to be a safe solution for people still building their basic skills.

Basic use of a pony bottle as a backup source isn't that hard, but I agree one should practice switching over to it in a controlled condition so it would become second nature in an OOA condition.

A side note on the subject of hoovers, here in the NE most of the people I've met that are sucking down gas like crazy are newbies who are diving very, very overweighted. OW Instructors seem to love overweighting students and these people then swim around with tons of gas in their wings/jackets (big time drag) and have the stress of experincing major buoyancy problems.

I have a open water certifiacation in hoverness. I got my open water cert about 7 months ago. I am well aware of my perpensity to gobble up air at a rapid rate. I let the DM know in advance and am always open for pointers on how to decrease my air use. I concentrate very hard on being smooth under water, staying horizontal and relaxing. During my last four dives in Costa Rica I did cut down a bit. But I find myself thinking about my air consumption so much that it makes it difficult to relax and I am beggining to think it is becoming counter productive. Anyone care to comment on this?

As far as the original question in this thread, I feel that a begginer that is an air hog should be aware of it and make sure whoever they are diving with knows it also. Until such a time they get it under control they should always pay for a babysitter ie:a DM.

Take my word for it, we dont want to spoil anyone elses dive and if we do we will feel worse then you do.

Ericshere:
...I find myself thinking about my air consumption so much that it makes it difficult to relax and I am beggining to think it is becoming counter productive. Anyone care to comment on this?

Coming from another "Newbie" I am still focusing a large amount of my attention on bouyancy and breath control. Sometimes I feel I've missed the point of diving - to see new things... but then I remind myself that the better I get with my bouyancy and breathing control the more I "will" get to see in the long run and the more I will enjoy and continue to enjoy diving. Each dive I am thinking less about skills and finding that more of the dive was spent just looking around than the last dive I went on -. It's my continuing reward for being persistent. I really enjoy the dives now where I don't think about breath control and find that I'm sufacing not for air, but for other reasons (cold, schedule, etc..)

Tim

Michael Freeman:
I agree, too complex to be a safe solution for people still building their basic skills.

Basic use of a pony bottle as a backup source isn't that hard
What you are saying doesn't make sense. You agree that gas switching using a stage is complex yet turn around and say that using a pony bottle isn't that hard.

Using a stage is much easier than using a pony.

Ericshere:
I feel that a begginer that is an air hog should be aware of it and make sure whoever they are diving with knows it also. Until such a time they get it under control they should always pay for a babysitter ie:a DM.
Eric you are a responsible hoover... and a very nice guy. :wink: You might not always need to pay for a sitter but you should always be willing to pay for a sitter.

As far as cutting down on your consumption... dive more and work on buoyancy control and breathing control. Consumption will take care of itself.

What you are saying doesn't make sense. You agree that gas switching using a stage is complex yet turn around and say that using a pony bottle isn't that hard.

I'm looking at it differently. The use of the equipment doesn't seem that hard but I have never used a stage bottle. My only experience is with a spare air in a controlled condition (i.e., I didn't have to turn on a valve to get more air).

To me a stage bottle is a required gas supply that must work every time for you to be successful. (i.e., it is part of your dive plan and above a OW cert with limited experience)
A pony bottle is just insurance for an OOA condition. You have to get in trouble before it comes into the gas plan (hopefully a very rear event) and if it doesn't work, you are no worse off if you had left it on the boat.

Exception to the above; if you have not practiced with the pony and your attempts to use it, wastes valuable time that you could have been using to save yourself via another route (buddy, surface, etc.)

Again, I am speaking from limited experience. This is simply my view from my experience level.

Back
Top Bottom