Honeymooners/First time and second time diver - Cozumel October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I selected yes. Then I downloaded the Handbook which lists a 130 foot max depth for the standard plan. Verify that this applies in your specific case.
That appears to be correct for the 22 states where the Standard plan is still offered.

For God's sake, the Master plan costs only $10 more a year. Anyone who wants to save money that badly deserves to lose coverage when a downcurrent sucks them down to 131' and they get bent :)

Thank you for the information everyone! I'm looking at diving and staying with Aldora if they can accommodate our budget. If not, then we will stay at Villas el Encanto as originally planned and find a dive shop that picks up in town and caters to beginners.

Any other tips/advice is greatly appreciated (local cuisine/bars/beaches/etc.)

I was surprised to see the 60 foot limit placed on the 12 year old diver by Aldora. Dave has posted on 2 occasions that I'm aware of, telling about a customer of his who had over 200 logged dives, who was by far, the worst diver that he'd ever encountered.

Wasn't just Dave, had the same issues in Provo when he was 11. In fact one shop said they were "full" (lairs), one wanted us to hire a private DM (not going to happen) and Dive Provo held him to 60/70. Only Martin (Brac Scuba Shack) in the Brac and Salt Cay divers didn't care. Reef divers (Brac)told us straight up he wasn't able to do most of the dives as they were deep.

Wasn't just Dave, had the same issues in Provo when he was 11. In fact one shop said they were "full" (lairs), one wanted us to hire a private DM (not going to happen) and Dive Provo held him to 60/70. Only Martin (Brac Scuba Shack) in the Brac and Salt Cay divers didn't care. Reef divers (Brac)told us straight up he wasn't able to do most of the dives as they were deep.

As much as the depth issue bugs me, as you can tell, I happen to agree with 11 year olds being restricted to whatever depth --- I'd say 60 max, perhaps even 40. Those numbers are not PADI's, but my own. I have no idea what PADI's, or any other agencies restrictions are.

Very, very few 11 year olds have the necessary maturity in my opinion --- just as very few 14 year olds have the maturity to drive, ect. ect. ad nauseam.

I have to disagree with anyone who says do not rent a moped (scooter). I have been to Cozumel 6+ times and thats the first thing I do is rent a scooter for the week. They are super cheap ($60 a week) and a blast to ride. Yes, you do need some sort of motor skills, but I'm guessing anyone who can scuba dive can definately handle a scooter. The best is driving around the east side of the island. They have scooter and bicycle lanes and there is hardly any traffic at all except other tourists putting around doing the same. It sure beats the pacific coast hwy! Driving in town is a little busier but not bad if you have a little common sense and some experience driving a bicycle or scooter. Paying $6.00 for a taxi everytime you want to go somewhere is ridicilous!!

No, they emphatically do not. The lane is for bicycles only, not scooters.

Tons of scooters with locals on them are on the bike path. At least that way someone is using it......

Last edited:
Yes I know from experience because I've been driving mine in the bicycle lane for years along with everyone else. Hardly any traffic and you can drive whatever speed you like. True Story.. One year I was running low on fuel and a police officer pulled a garden hose out of his toolbox and siphoned gas out of his truck into my scooter. I gave him $10.00. Never said anything about us driving in the "bicycle" lane. I'm guessing they prefer it, since I haven't seen any bicycles on it ever. Driving a scooter on that road is the ultimate freedom!

Back
Top Bottom