Honeymooners/First time and second time diver - Cozumel October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somebody needs to tell the OP's hotel...:D Or more likely their web designer.

This counts as a "4x4":

p-ATV150SPORT.png

Just in case not enough people have chimed in yet, DO NOT RENT THE SCOOTERS! I have my own horror story from a Scooter rental that went wrong on January 1, 2000 - my very own Y2K disaster. 7 broken ribs, 4 broken in more than one place, a punctured lung, a punctured spleen, a $19,000 air ambulance trip back to Dallas, 10 days in the hospital, and a lifetime of back pain. But at least I didn't go home in a body bag, as many tourists do. DO NOT RENT THE SCOOTERS.

BTW, I've seen several posts on here about the supposed 60' depth limit for those without AOW certification. I started diving in Cozumel right after I was initially certified, in 1989, and I was doing dives to 85-90' regularly down there before I got my AOW certification in 1994. Maybe it was more relaxed at that time, but I don't remember any dive op ever looking beyond my C-Card before taking me to 85' or 90'. Maybe its because the visibility is so great in Coz that even at 100' it's like daylight, and the surface is easily visible above you. I personally wouldn't worry too much about getting the Advanced Certification before going to Cozumel. Yes, it is certainly worthwhile, but get more dives under your belt first. Maybe Christi or Dave, or some other Dive Op Owner can chime in - do Cozumel Dive Ops enforce any depth limit (above 100') for divers who are not yet AOW certified?

. Maybe Christi or Dave, or some other Dive Op Owner can chime in - do Cozumel Dive Ops enforce any depth limit (above 100') for divers who are not yet AOW certified?

Hehe. Mexico is the land of 'guidelines' and 'suggestions' rather than rules.

BTW, I've seen several posts on here about the supposed 60' depth limit for those without AOW certification. I started diving in Cozumel right after I was initially certified, in 1989, and I was doing dives to 85-90' regularly down there before I got my AOW certification in 1994. Maybe it was more relaxed at that time, but I don't remember any dive op ever looking beyond my C-Card before taking me to 85' or 90'. Maybe its because the visibility is so great in Coz that even at 100' it's like daylight, and the surface is easily visible above you. I personally wouldn't worry too much about getting the Advanced Certification before going to Cozumel. Yes, it is certainly worthwhile, but get more dives under your belt first. Maybe Christi or Dave, or some other Dive Op Owner can chime in - do Cozumel Dive Ops enforce any depth limit (above 100') for divers who are not yet AOW certified?

That information is incorrect.
PADI has never put such restrictions on those with OW certification. PADI does not differentiate between OW and AOW with regard to depth limitations.
Until recently, this could be verified on their website, but they have "updated" their website somewhat recently to make it as sophomoric as humanly possible. It is now little more than a mediocre marketing site, imo.

With our 12 year old son, Aldora kept him above 60' and there were many new divers who were with us, kept at 60'.

Regarding PADI's new site, it stinks. I could not even find the depth restrictions for kids anymore. Wonderfull!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wouldn't rely on a website's recommendation as to max depth. That should be based on a common sense realistic evaluation of one's skills and experience in the water. Being OW or AOW certified does not in and of itself qualify one to do anything, except to continue learning and practicing the skills necessary to be a competent diver.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Admittedly this thread is a few years old but post #8 seems to provide some clarity on this matter (assuming things haven't changed since 2011). http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...re-limit-questions-advanced-worth-needed.html

That information is incorrect.
PADI has never put such restrictions on those with OW certification. PADI does not differentiate between OW and AOW with regard to depth limitations.
Until recently, this could be verified on their website, but they have "updated" their website somewhat recently to make it as sophomoric as humanly possible. It is now little more than a mediocre marketing site, imo.

Admittedly this thread is a few years old but post #8 seems to provide some clarity on this matter (assuming things haven't changed since 2011). http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...re-limit-questions-advanced-worth-needed.html

Actually, it doesn't clarify anything. Like most posts on the subject, it is rife with conjecture, opinion, and speculation.

Up until recently, PADI's site was very clear on the matter.

It, quite frankly, is a subject that drives me bat sheet crazy.

The number of dives and the certification level has absolutely nothing to do with depth limitations, or business going to any depth of 130 or less. or for that matter being beneath the surface at all.

I was surprised to see the 60 foot limit placed on the 12 year old diver by Aldora. Dave has posted on 2 occasions that I'm aware of, telling about a customer of his who had over 200 logged dives, who was by far, the worst diver that he'd ever encountered.

I've told this story before -- My wife, and our two kids, who were still Junior Open Water divers, were on a boat headed out for a night dive. Asked about our experience, we told her that we had 27 dives. The snot visibly and audibly sniffed, and said "Well, that's not too bad".

She was considerably more pleasant at the end of the dive of 63 minutes (ran out of reef), and all of us were within 100 lbs of air remaining.

Should a shop or DM, as a matter of policy, wish to enforce some depth limits, that is their right and prerogative. But please don't tell me that the restrictions are PADI's.

We were newbies when we dove with Scuba With Alison and I highly recommend her for beginners. Although I didn't take her up on it, she literally offered to hold my hand. She has the right balance of letting her divers be independent and watching over you. And her boat is fabulous. (Great gear too if you need rentals)

She was booked for our December trip, and I'm actually nervous about diving with another op.

Up until recently, PADI's site was very clear on the matter.

Should a shop or DM, as a matter of policy, wish to enforce some depth limits, that is their right and prerogative. But please don't tell me that the restrictions are PADI's.
The PADI site is very clear:
(from http://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/about-padi/contact-us/FAQ/learn-to-scuba-dive/)

"With the necessary training and experience, the limit for recreational scuba diving is 40 metres/130 feet. Beginning scuba divers stay shallower than about 18 metres/60 feet. Although these are the limits, some of the most popular diving is shallower than 12 metres/40 feet, where the water’s warmer and the colors are brighter."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom