Honeymooners/First time and second time diver - Cozumel October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, my daughter got her Jr OW cert when she was 13 and never updated it. She is now 31 and hasn't dived recently, but the last time she went to Cozumel with us 6 or 8 years ago she dove to 100+ feet just like a grownup. :D

Ah, under the question "How deep do you go". I had looked on that page earlier but it hadn't jumped out at me.

The PADI site is very clear:
(from http://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/about-padi/contact-us/FAQ/learn-to-scuba-dive/)

"With the necessary training and experience, the limit for recreational scuba diving is 40 metres/130 feet. Beginning scuba divers stay shallower than about 18 metres/60 feet. Although these are the limits, some of the most popular diving is shallower than 12 metres/40 feet, where the water’s warmer and the colors are brighter."

The PADI site is very clear:
(from http://www.padi.com/scuba-diving/about-padi/contact-us/FAQ/learn-to-scuba-dive/)

"With the necessary training and experience, the limit for recreational scuba diving is 40 metres/130 feet. Beginning scuba divers stay shallower than about 18 metres/60 feet. Although these are the limits, some of the most popular diving is shallower than 12 metres/40 feet, where the water’s warmer and the colors are brighter."

It is indeed clear that for recreational diving, there is a limit of 130 feet.

That's where the clarity stops for me.

It is indeed clear that for recreational diving, there is a limit of 130 feet.

That's where the clarity stops for me.
"Beginning scuba divers stay shallower than about 18 metres/60 feet" is pretty clear too. What's not clear is the definition of "beginning scuba divers" but it's a start. Clearly PADI means for some divers to stay shallower than 60 feet.

---------- Post added August 3rd, 2014 at 04:20 PM ----------

Then, if something happens to you, you likely have insurance issues.
Not with DAN insurance.

the lowest plan does have a 130 ft planned limit.

I believe that's no longer the case, at least in the U.S. and at least when you reside in one of the states that's not listed when you get on the DAN site and it asks whether you live in one of the listed states. When I click no and it brings me to the insurance page, there are three plans listed. The current "lowest" plan is the Master plan and for that and the three "higher" plans, there is no maximum depth limit imposed as a limit on coverage.

I believe that's no longer the case, at least in the U.S. and at least when you reside in one of the states that's not listed when you get on the DAN site and it asks whether you live in one of the listed states. When I click no and it brings me to the insurance page, there are three plans listed. The current "lowest" plan is the Master plan and for that and the three "higher" plans, there is no maximum depth limit imposed as a limit on coverage.

I selected yes. Then I downloaded the Handbook which lists a 130 foot max depth for the standard plan. Verify that this applies in your specific case.

Back
Top Bottom