1st time to Cozumel Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theshusters

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend of my husbands is recommending staying at Dreams (Secrets is booked), but I have seen mixed reviews about the dive shop on site, Dive House. Although I love the convenience of having the shop right there. And I am the only one that worries about getting a GI bug while in Mexico?? I understand that if I only eat at the resort I'll be fine, but do people feel that they can eat at restaurants and have Pina coladas(ice) outside the resort without worrying?

I would love it if anyone can share their experiences with Dreams at Cozumel, Dive House, other dive shops they would recommend, and eating out without worrying:)

And I am the only one that worries about getting a GI bug while in Mexico?? I understand that if I only eat at the resort I'll be fine, but do people feel that they can eat at restaurants and have Pina coladas(ice) outside the resort without worrying?

My personal experience.... I eat anything I want, everywhere in Cozumel without concern. Like anywhere I eat (home & abroad), I prefer busy places with freshly prepared food and I am observant of food preparation practices, but I don't worry too much in Cozumel -- whether I'm having ice, salad, etc.

After about 3 weeks I tend to have a couple of days of mild GI "adjustment", but that's pretty routine for me after eating 2nd/3rd world street food for an extended period anywhere and it's never been enough of an issue for me to interfere with diving or other activities...just have some more yogurt. My wife is somewhat more sensitive to food issues, but has similar experience in Cozumel (OK, maybe after 2 weeks she goes through an "adjustment").

There are other countries -- and other locations in Mexico -- where I do have greater food concerns and take greater precautions.

Of course, these are my observations, and everyone's comfort level (and GI tract) will differ.

I really like Aldora for a dive op and will probably dive with them every time I'm on the island. Well run, good DMs and captains, and I really enjoy the steel cylinders they have for extra time in the water and the buoyancy characteristics. While Aldora does the full valet experience, in my experience they don't take it too personally if you say no to some things (e.g., take your regs back with you etc.)

Foodwise, I've not had any issues in Cozumel, eating everywhere from fancy spots, a small Arabian taco place, pizzerias, generic touristy dinners, taco trucks on the SI, or vegan restaurants. I also treat it as anywhere else in the world (and come prepared either way) and check reviews, look at the kitchen procedures etc. as best as possible.

A friend of my husbands is recommending staying at Dreams (Secrets is booked), but I have seen mixed reviews about the dive shop on site, Dive House. Although I love the convenience of having the shop right there. And I am the only one that worries about getting a GI bug while in Mexico?? I understand that if I only eat at the resort I'll be fine, but do people feel that they can eat at restaurants and have Pina coladas(ice) outside the resort without worrying?

I would love it if anyone can share their experiences with Dreams at Cozumel, Dive House, other dive shops they would recommend, and eating out without worrying:)

(Didn't know how to move post, so it is posted here and in general Dive travel questions. I apologize)
I would be less worried about eating and drinking at the restaurants in town than at an AI. The ice everywhere is fine.

Just returning from an all inclusive. Terrible food poisoning for a night and day. It can happen anywhere. Just remember to only drink bottled water and do not eat salads.

By the way…currently in Cozumel. Happened here.

(Didn't know how to move post, so it is posted here and in general Dive travel questions. I apologize)
Hi. I live in Cozumel part time. Most dive ops can pick up divers staying at a resort south of town, so you really aren't restricted to an on-site op. Look around for an op or three who interest you (this is a good thread... Finding a (Best) Dive Op in Cozumel ) and then send them a message to see if they will pick you up where you are staying.

You certainly aren't the only first-timer to the island who worries about getting a GI disorder...but if you do, it won't be from the ice. Buffets are notoriously bad. When eating in town, look for places packed with locals. The turnover will be high and word gets around pretty fast if the customers get sick. I just got back from Mexico City where I contracted food poisoning. I think it was the raw oysters...

And I am the only one that worries about getting a GI bug while in Mexico?? I understand that if I only eat at the resort I'll be fine, but do people feel that they can eat at restaurants and have Pina coladas(ice) outside the resort without worrying?
Some resorts truck the food cooked at other properties in. I'd be more fearful of them. I've been to Coz 20+ trips, eating downtown close to the plaza mostly, and have never had a stomach issue. I don't go anywhere without a bottle of pink stomach med to chug just in case after losing time in Arches NP to a bug, but have never needed it on the island.

I just got back from Mexico City where I contracted food poisoning. I think it was the raw oysters...
Ok, that was foolhardy.

You're more likely to get sick eating the low quality mass produced food at an AI, you'll get better quality and experience the culture by going to nice restaurants, and you'll pay much less.

You're more likely to get sick eating the low quality mass produced food at an AI, you'll get better quality and experience the culture by going to nice restaurants, and you'll pay much less.
I don't know that they would necessarily pay less but the rest is certainly true.

Back
Top Bottom