Horizontal trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have tied a 3 kg lead weight to my tank valve as dumpsterdiver sugested and this seemed to have helped alot! Now to master that damn back kick!!

If you need a 3kg weight (6.6lbs) on your tank valve... something else is HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY, WRONG someplace else. Suggest you figure out what that is... and fix the problem itself.

If you need a 3kg weight (6.6lbs) on your tank valve... something else is HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY, WRONG someplace else. Suggest you figure out what that is... and fix the problem itself.
So if you have high trim pockets on your bcd and have to use them, something is horribly, horribly wrong? Cause its pretty much the same thing...

T

SLOW DOWN. Learn this stuff so that it's instinctive... THEN think about teaching.

Sorry to be a damp squid, mate but the last thing this industry needs are more "instructors" who have not mastered the basics.

Frankly - no offense to the OP - but someone who doesn't have their buoyancy and trim sorted shouldn't even be a DM (a dive professional) much less an instructor.

A quote I once heard about professional athletes that I think applies here:

"The difference between an amateur and a professional is that an amateur practices something until they can get get it right... a professional practices it until they can't get it wrong."

---------- Post added September 5th, 2013 at 07:35 PM ----------

So if you have high trim pockets on your bcd and have to use them, something is horribly, horribly wrong? Cause its pretty much the same thing...

Never seen a BCD with trim pockets as high as the diver's tank valve. Do you have any pictures?

There is NO WAY to make sure you cant get it wrong. Its a saying as stupid as claiming you gave it 110% - its mathematically impossible..

You can try, and you can get close - but youll NEVER get there

There is NO WAY to make sure you cant get it wrong. Its a saying as stupid as claiming you gave it 110% - its mathematically impossible..

You can try, and you can get close - but youll NEVER get there

I guess the literary device of hyperbole doesn't translate into Norwegian...

That, and/or the point being that the professional continues to practice...

Last edited:
Never seen a BCD with trim pockets as high as the diver's tank valve. Do you have any pictures?
Ive seen them well above the camband and given how low some people hang their tank it wouldnt be far off..
That said, I HATE having a low tank myself but Ive seen trim pockets nearly as high as where the tank narrows in towards the neck, if you have leveled the opening in the valve with the low part of the "neck cutout" in the BC

Ive seen them well above the camband and given how low some people hang their tank it wouldnt be far off..
That said, I HATE having a low tank myself but Ive seen trim pockets nearly as high as where the tank narrows in towards the neck, if you have leveled the opening in the valve with the low part of the "neck cutout" in the BC

Then the diver should raise the too-low tank before resorting to hanging 3kg off the valve.

No reason to be sarcastic... I was trying to help, but you have missed the point. I'll say it again. SLOW DOWN in the race to become an instructor. By all means ask for advice about getting trim and buoyancy under control... but hold off becoming another muppet instructor. We have enough already.

Oh, and if you order a copy of the book Tracy suggested you buy, I'll sign it for you. :)

I'm studying a diploma in professional scuba instruction a full year course. The course itself is a lot more in depth that just completing the padi courses. We are training 5 days a week so have plenty of time to practice. If you saw the way some of the other students you would be horrified. I'm one of the few who actually care about the way I dive.

Kyle -- good for you that you have a desire to be a Scuba Instructor. Good for you that you are in a setting where you are getting a lot of training and have time to practice.

BUT, and I believe this to be to what Doppler is referring, a GOOD Instructor has, in addition to lots of experience and training in Scuba (or, for that matter, whatever) but also lots of EXPERIENCES in diving -- good AND bad ones. For example, I met a scuba instructor who had about 1500 dives -- i.e., he had a lot of experience. However, what he really had was about 15 dives 100 times each -- off the same boat, in the same waters, repeating the same things. As he was kind enough to point out, when we met, I had about 80 dives, but I had had a lot more EXPERIENCES in diving (warm water, cold water, mucky water, wet suit, dry suit), even though he had a lot more diving experience.

Not every instructor out there agrees with Doppler (and me) that in addition to experience, you should have varied experiences -- including varied training. I (and Doppler) hope you will take the time to gain experiences, get training from different people who have different strengths and weaknesses (not to mention different approaches to diving). Only then, in my (our?) opinion will you be ready to be the best instructor you can be.

i guess its just the way I've been taught... I've come here to ask for advise is because my instructors at my LDC weren't much help.

I'm studying a diploma in professional scuba instruction a full year course.

Now, sorry mate, but something isn't quite right. Either the instruction you are getting is at a level where basic skills such as buoyancy and the dynamics of trim are discussed and mastered, or it is not and you have resorted to asking complete strangers -- none of whom you have seen in the water -- for advice.

Anyhow, good luck with learning to dive... I'd still suggest you get your arse out of that program and go experience some actual fun diving... BEFORE you teach.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom