Horizontal trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember my first time on scuba when were made to go to our knees, myself and others had huge trouble staying our knees. I can see we're your coming from when you say the skills would be easier to learn once neutral. Better start practicing demonstrating these skills neural to then!!

This is one of the things that people who are used to teaching on the knees do not realize--the skills are much easier to do when you are in horizontal trim than when you are upright, and kneeling is very hard to do for many people. Instructors argue that they don't have time to teach buoyancy in addition to the other skills--what they don't realize is that it takes less time because you are not teaching it in addition to the other skills, you are teaching it at the same time as you teach the other skills.

Padi does need to change a few things. One also being teaching hyperventilation in their skin diving course. I remember my first time on scuba when were made to go to our knees, myself and others had huge trouble staying our knees. I can see we're your coming from when you say the skills would be easier to learn once neutral. Better start practicing demonstrating these skills neural to then!!
HAHA! Thanks for that, reminded me about all the clutter we had at our first session in the pool with all the gear on :D

I had to demonstrate skills for DMC on my knees. I had so much trouble with that, while 6'7" buddy had no problems kneeling. I think for shorter divers ( I'm 5'1") that kneeling is very difficult and learning while in trim is probably much easier. Its much easier for me to do skills in horizontal trim,for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom