Hose Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronR103

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy all. I have a hose question. I just got back from a quarry where I was trying out my new MK25 reg that came with a 7' hose. I am a short guy (5'6") and the hose swallowed me whole. I tried wrapping it around my waist pocket (don't have a can light yet) like I did the 6' hose I had on my Mares that fit me perfectly, but I still had way too much slack and it kept slipping over my head. I ended up having to tuck it into the waist band. This works but is not ideal. This was on a single tank set up. Since the mk25 stage points downward while the mares mr22 I had faces up, there is at least a 6-8 inch difference in where the hose is positioned on my body between the two, meaning that even the 6' may be a bit long for me coming out of the bottom of the mk25. In the next few weeks I am planning on getting a set of doubles, and I understand that a doubles hose config (at least as sold by halcyon) usually uses a 7' hose instead of the 5' sold in the single-tank package. My question is before I run out and buy a shorter hose, how much more hose do you actually need for a doubles rig instead of a single? Does it sound like a 6' would work or do I need to keep the 7' on there? Thanks all.

A

First, tucking it into your waist-band is fine. Many people, especially those of us who are lard-challenged (scrawny) need to do that with a 7' hose.

Doubles and singles has little to do with anything. The intent of the 7' hose is to facilitate a single file egress with the out of gas diver in front and the donator in the rear. The doubles configuration is not what requires it, it is the way the doubles are typically used that requires it. That being said, learning to manage a 7' hose now will make a transition into penetration diving much easier, as you won't have to learn how to manage the thing at the same time that you are trying to manage a reel and an overhead environment.

So, stick with the 7' hose, at least on doubles.

AaronR103:
Howdy all. I have a hose question. I just got back from a quarry where I was trying out my new MK25 reg that came with a 7' hose. I am a short guy (5'6") and the hose swallowed me whole. I tried wrapping it around my waist pocket (don't have a can light yet) like I did the 6' hose I had on my Mares that fit me perfectly, but I still had way too much slack and it kept slipping over my head. I ended up having to tuck it into the waist band. This works but is not ideal. This was on a single tank set up. Since the mk25 stage points downward while the mares mr22 I had faces up, there is at least a 6-8 inch difference in where the hose is positioned on my body between the two, meaning that even the 6' may be a bit long for me coming out of the bottom of the mk25. In the next few weeks I am planning on getting a set of doubles, and I understand that a doubles hose config (at least as sold by halcyon) usually uses a 7' hose instead of the 5' sold in the single-tank package. My question is before I run out and buy a shorter hose, how much more hose do you actually need for a doubles rig instead of a single? Does it sound like a 6' would work or do I need to keep the 7' on there? Thanks all.

A

You need 7. A Mk25 will route about the same on single tank as doubles. I am basically your height and have no problems with the hose wrapped around the can light or in open water tucked into the waistband. The smaller guys will wrap around the can light and then tuck some excess in the waist strap as well. This is no big deal.

Thanks guys. That pretty much answers my question. I'm guessing wrapping around the can-light will leave just as much slack as the waist-pocket. I even tried routing it up under the knife and it still was just too long. Tucking it worked just fine, but is harder to clean up after an S-Drill (and of course doesn't look as cool). Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

A

I am 5'6'' as well, with a short torso. I use a mk25 with 7ft hose on my singles rig described as you have.

It feels akward at first, but in time you will learn how to route it so its comfy. I tuck in under my can light and knife, put the reg in my mouth and turn my head to the left as far as I can. Any excess gets pushed back behind my can light. Its very little, but it helps.

My wife is 5'3" and prefers a 7ft over a 5ft because she actually finds it *easier* to stow. The extra length is enough to keep it tucked nicely in the waist band.

As far as cleaning up after an s-drill, it shouldn't be any harder/messier than tucking it under a can light. If it's too hard, then you might try to loosen you waist band. Remember, it's not there to keep your tanks from getting ripped off your body, just to keep you from sinking out from under them. <g>

Cameron

FWIW, my wife custom ordered a 6.5' hose - 7' was slightly too long and the hoes would ride up on her and get caught around the isolator, 6' was too short. I'm not a big fan of tucking hose in the waist band as it seems to come out when you least want it. Sngle egress on a 6.5t hose is not an issue.

DRE:
FWIW, my wife custom ordered a 6.5' hose - 7' was slightly too long and the hoes would ride up on her and get caught around the isolator, 6' was too short. I'm not a big fan of tucking hose in the waist band as it seems to come out when you least want it. Sngle egress on a 6.5t hose is not an issue.

In an overhead environment the necessary length of the hose is dictated by the size of the donee not the doner.

RTodd:
In an overhead environment the necessary length of the hose is dictated by the size of the donee not the doner.

Duh - if she ends up diving with someone over 6'2" she'll change it back to a 7':wink: - no issues with me as donee (I'm 5'11")

AaronR103:

A

Use the 7 in your doubles and get a 5 for your single setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom