How am I suposed to choose a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya, I know you came here to get help with choosing a computer. But before you go any further you need to decide what features you want it to have. If you want wireless AI, get one with wireless AI. If you don't want that feature find one that suits you. Figure out what you expect from the computer, what information you want it to give you. If you want a watch style, get it. If it has to have a digital compass find one that has a digital compass. I didn't care about a digital compass, I wanted wireless AI. I use a Datamask for my primary computer it serves me well. I can read it with no problems, it does nitrox and as a recreational diver it is exactly what I wanted. Not saying it is right for you just saying it works well for me and the diving I do. There are people who say that AI isn't necessary, in honesty it isn't unless you want it. A lot of people hate a digital compass and wouldn't buy a computer that has one, again in honesty it isn't necessary unless that is what you want.

So, research what features you want first, then find out what computer has those features and narrow down the choices. Figure out what your price range is that gives you the features you want and buy it. I made the mistake of buying a computer that wasn't what I wanted because I bought what everybody else told me what I wanted. After listening to everybody else, I finally bought what I wanted to begin with. I wasted some money getting there but I am now pleased with what I use.

There are a few certainties in this life, death, taxes and that this forum will recommend the Shearwater Petrel and Hollis DGO3...

Not saying there not good, but as dmore19 says, understand your requirements and then look at products that match. Others may have different requirements and that influences their choice.

Look at what you need now rather than trying to meet future potential needs. Regularly reflect back on your needs so you don't get carried to options that sound (and are) great but do not meet those original needs.

Last edited:
I have some sympathy with you. Having been dithering myself for the last 6 months looking for an upgrade computer. In my cast I wanted multiple gas mixes, large wrist mount and AI. I had finally settled on the Uwatec Galileo Luna/ Sol and was about to part with money then.... One of my good friends called - he knew I was in the market for two new computers and told me to STOP and take a look at the just released Suunto EOS (Oct 4th 2014 release).

It has a TFT screen battery life of 24 - 30 dive hours up to 8 mixes and 8 transmitters with everything you expect from Suunto - apparently they've been working in secret on it for 5 years. I'm currently scouring the world for 2 units with transmitters before I go on a liveaboard (taking my old computer as well).

Suunto claim that there idea is that it will be infinitely upgradeable to match your change in dive ambitions 2015 sees a CCR upgrade. I'd say take a look. I was certainly impressed enough to get my credit card out (just need to find stock)

It has a TFT screen battery life of 24 - 30 dive hours up to 8 mixes and 8 transmitters with everything you expect from Suunto

You mean a useful life of approximately 6 months to a year post-warranty expiration and a service/support attitude of 'these things break - buy a new one already'? I don't doubt it.

everything you expect from Suunto, including a $1500usd price tag...

If you want/need wireless AI, DGX has the transmitters on sale with the DG03, $500 for a multigas computer with gauge mode and support for multiple wireless transmitters....

If you want/need digital compass, the Nitek Q or xDeep Black are probably the best choices out there, but if you are spending real money, the Petrel is really what you want.... Best suggestion is still spend $250 now for the DG03, when you decide you need to upgrade, you will not have wasted any money on a computer that won't be able to follow you. Only thing with the DG03 is if you are planning on upgrading, I wouldn't spend the money on the download cable, I'd log by hand until you get a Petrel.

I think that what the OP did is exactly right. There is a tendency in these discussions to imply that everything is subjective and that it's mainly important to get what works for YOU and to just get zero in on what you personally want at this point.

But the problem with that is that with less than 24 dives, the OP might not know that he or she absolutely must have WAI, or a compass, or a watch style computer. Unlike many of us, they probably don't have very firm opinions about the various options, so listening to people discuss what they like and don't like about their computers is probably a good thing!

TiagoFerreira dives computers vary from person to person. i would recommend to purchase a computer that you are comfortable with using. might recommend to talk with your local dive shop, and rent/ try a few out. The great thing about buying computers is and upgrading is they always make great backups.

When I started out, I bought a Suunto Zoop, the reason for this choice was a)It had what I needed then, b) it was cheap enough to be replaced in near future when/if I needed something else. When I had enough dives under my belt to understand what I needed and didn't need, I bought a Petrel. Some of the reasons for the Petrel was: I don't need WAI, I don't need a digital compass, I need a clear, bright screen that is easy to read in bad viz and pitch dark, I want user replaceable battery, I want easy to upgrade firmware, and so on.

I am glad I did it this way, since I got many good dives on the zoop and when the zoop didn't cutted it anymore, I knew exactly what I needed in a PDC, and after selling the zoop, this learning experience only costed me a few dollars extra anyways.

Last edited:
I think what jboneng wrote has a great deal of merit. You're brand new -- realistically, I doubt you know how much you will dive, or how much work or money you want to put into your diving. Buying an inexpensive but reasonably capable computer now and realizing that, as with much of what you buy, you may decide to change or upgrade it later, makes sense. Some people don't dive much if at all after their certification. Some dive for a couple of years, have kids and quit.

On the other hand, if you have a track record of being obsessive AND you have money to spend AND especially if you are old enough to have any eyesight problems, buy a Petrel.

1. Two inexpensive computers with nitrox and gauge mode FIRST.
2. When you are ready for tec dive then you can decide if you really need a dedicated tec computer!!! Because of the better known tec agency, GUE, could not let you using it during the course!!!!
3. Hollis DG03 at US$250.00 a piece is a bargin! It is NOT user friendly as tec conmputer(3 mixes) but perfectly fine for rec dive or as bottom timer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom