How am I suposed to choose a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must be doing something right over last 18 yrs for NOT using any "up market" or dedicated tec computer for rec or tec dive.
Money is NOT an issue but wasting it on something unnecessary is NOT in my dictionary!!

Dr. Lecter just listed some of the reasons why the Petrel is a terrific dive computer, and he even said that if money was an issue that it wasn't worth it. But I don't understand your point - no one said that it was not possible to dive with a basic computer, or even with no computer.

Also, "wasting money on something unnecessary" is a good way to describe scuba diving in general... :D

The Scubapro Galileo on your list is a fine computer. I recently posted some detailed thoughts on mine here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co.../482981-petrel-galileo-sol-2.html#post7122238

Other than low-light diving it's top notch. Fully configurable (I have come to discover that even the beeps I complained about are configurable). Upgradable, has optional hoseless air integration, will handle trimix, the list goes on. It's got a bad rep with some divers here, but when you get down to brass tacks on why they don't like it the problem always seems to be galileo owners not knowing how to use their computer.

If galileo had a bright full color display like petrel I don't think I would be inaccurate in calling it the best DC you could get. Alas, it's primary weakness is that the display is hard to read in no/very low light.

I add to the resale value, should one get out of diving...try to get the same % of your money back from any other dive computer in a secondary market sale, I dare you.

Who is interested in the % of your money, it comes down the $s in the pocket.

I must be doing something right over last 18 yrs for NOT using any "up market" or dedicated tec computer for rec or tec dive.
Money is NOT an issue but wasting it on something unnecessary is NOT in my dictionary!!

Wasting exclamation points seems to be in there.

In any event, nobody's said you need a computer of any kind for rec or tech diving. Most of us know you can plan and conduct any dive without one, and for most dives it wouldn't be that hard to do so. What is the bare minimum of equipment required is a very different question from what's the best use of one's money.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2014 at 08:53 PM ----------

Who is interested in the % of your money, it comes down the $s in the pocket.

I hope someone else handles your investments for you.

---------- Post added October 30th, 2014 at 08:55 PM ----------

The Scubapro Galileo . . . got a bad rep with some divers here, but when you get down to brass tacks on why they don't like it the problem always seems to be galileo owners not knowing how to use their computer.

Which is likely because using the Galileo is a royal PITA, as a comparison of its manual to the manual for something like a Petrel or a Cobalt will confirm.

I hope someone else handles your investments for you.
Well I would want them to focus on the actual $ return and maximise that - $s in the pocket counts the % is just a relative term.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom