How Congenial Is Cobalt Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you gb_williams for such glory reports on CC. We are going for the first time May 11-18. How about you Sorrows? Any chance of being there at the same time?

Betty, unfortunately, it looks like we will just miss you! We are there the week before. :(

---------- Post added March 29th, 2013 at 11:41 AM ----------

Yes -thank you gb_Williams!!!! We leave this Saturday-March 30th for Grand Cayman-staying at Cobalt Coast-I will be sure to share my experience with everyone!

Reidster, if you are planning to dive the Kittiwake (and I'm assuming you are) please look for my dad's plaque in the diving area. He (Thomas F. Austin) was a diving officer on this ship in the 60s and they allowed us to put up his small memorial to him while the ship was being prepared for sinking in Norfolk. I would like to start a tradition--all divers give my dad a pat as you pass through, please!

Have a great trip--I look forward to hearing more about it when you get back!

Sorrows - we are scheduled to dive the Kittiwake Sunday afternoon. Where on the ship is the plaque located???
That is very cool you were allowed to do this!!! I hope I can find.

Another vote for Cobalt Coast - I much prefer it to Sunset House. The food was really good, the shore diving was decent but mostly it was the atmosphere. The hotel and Dive Tech employees are awesome! If they still do it, the West Bay Express DPV trip is A LOT of fun. Because you aren't on a moored site you'll see many more fish and the DPV's are just cool.

Sorrows - we are scheduled to dive the Kittiwake Sunday afternoon. Where on the ship is the plaque located???
That is very cool you were allowed to do this!!! I hope I can find.

Reidster, it's in the diving well, quite close to the chamber--it's a very popular area for divers! Here is a photo, taken while the ship was still in Norfolk:

Dad's plaque installed.jpg I can't imagine you won't be able to find it. Please give my dad a salute!

MtnPlayVA: I want to do this but my hubby not so much. Do you have to take a course or lesson first?
I can't find it on their site anymore :( We had already taken the PADI DPV course so we didn't have to do anything special. It's too bad they aren't doing it anymore. It was one of the coolest things I've done diving.

MtnPlayVA: I want to do this but my hubby not so much. Do you have to take a course or lesson first?

An experienced diver (which you seem to be) can learn to use a DPV in 10 minutes. And, you could do the West Bay Express run yourself (with a DPV). Just follow the mini-wall, keeping it on your left. The only tricky part would be recognizing the turn-in point at Turtle Reef. You could do a preliminary dive there and leave a marker on the mooring line which is just at the edge of the mini-wall.

I can't find it on their site anymore :( We had already taken the PADI DPV course so we didn't have to do anything special. It's too bad they aren't doing it anymore. It was one of the coolest things I've done diving.

The West Bay Express scooter dive is on the Divetech website under dive only prices, it's a great dive. Another fun dive is the rebreather half day experience. Both quite a bit different than the usual offerings.

Thanks scubadada. I found it on the Divetech website. What is the difference between these two?

Guided Scooter Dive$90.00
The West Bay Express$125.00

I think the express is from Lighthouse back to Cobalt Coast, right? Do you know what makes it $35 more than the guided dive?

Betty

I'm not sure what the difference is but West Bay Express is a one way trip. It starts at Cobalt Coast and heads towards Lighthouse - you go for as long as the air supply of your group lasts. Ours was about 70 minutes. The boat picks you up and brings you back to Cobalt. Maybe the guided starts and stops at Cobalt or Lighthouse with no boat pick up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom