How is the Reef Club Cozumel? (in Dec)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am getting ready to book the Reef Club Cozumel. Can anyone tell me how the resort is and if the diving in dec is ok for an open water certified 10 year old? Is there a good deal of 40ft dives because that is his limit?

scuba41girl:
I am getting ready to book the Reef Club Cozumel. Can anyone tell me how the resort is and if the diving in dec is ok for an open water certified 10 year old? Is there a good deal of 40ft dives because that is his limit?

You should be prepared to hire a private DM for your 10 year old. You have to remember that there are other divers on the boat and they (the op) cannot restrict all of these divers to 40 foot dives. Most shops will actually require you to have a private DM for anyone with depth restrictions so as not to limit the other divers on board. Staying above the group is not really an option as all divers are required to dive with a guide in Cozumel per marine park standards.

The Reef Club gets ok reviews, but not stellar.

i am a DM so he will be fine. thanks if you have other suggestions on where to stay i would be greatful! i'm looking to spend $1500 pp inc air. thanks....oh and it has to be a place that the kids will have fun. they are 10 and 13

scuba41girl:
i am a DM so he will be fine. thanks if you have other suggestions on where to stay i would be greatful! i'm looking to spend $1500 pp inc air. thanks....oh and it has to be a place that the kids will have fun. they are 10 and 13

I meant a local DM. Per marine park rules and local regulations, all divers are required to dive with a local DM. You cannot simply stay above the group at 40 feet while the rest of the group is at 60 to 80 feet or more (which is the standard here), you would be completely separated...meaning you would be diving without a local DM and I don't know of any reputable shops that would allow this. The currents at 40 feet will be different than those at 60 to 80 feet. ALL dives here are drift dives.

You may want to check into Fiesta Americana, Occidental Grand or Allegro. I prefer the dive op at Allegro and Occidental over the Reef Club or Fiesta Americana...but you are not obligated to dive with the onsite operation either. Any dive shop can pick you up at any of these hotels.

scuba41girl:

Last year my wife and three friends of ours went to Cozumel. Their son was 14 and still an Junior Open Water Diver. We had chartered the boat for the week and the dives were geared shallow to accomdate this young man and everyone knew this going in. His father was a MSDT and owned his own dive operation back home.

On a couple of days he did not dive and this allowed the other divers to make deeper profiles. You need to make sure that you communicate this to whatever dive operator you use. You might consider a different boat for newer/younger divers but no one is going to allow you to do a blue water hang for 45 minutes when the rest of the group is dong a 80-100 foot profile. Work this out ahead of time and you will have a much more enjoyable trip.

The Reef Club is a very nice place I just like staying close in to town. I've always enjoyed Hotel Cozumel and it's only a $4 cab ride to downtown as opposed to nearly $20 from the Reef Club.

We just got back from the Reef Club.
Took a group of 17 people.
We had a GREAT time.
There is plenty there for your kids to do.
The DM's at Sand Dollar are excellent.

Jeff.
www.diversifieddivers.com

I have stayed at the Reef Club many times and am quite familiar with their onsite dive operation (Sand Dollar).

They usually have the young divers go out on the clasroom boat. This boat typically goes to the closer and shallower reefs. They will require you to have one of their DM's with you. If you are going over the holidays, there will likely be other young divers to go along with you, so you do not have to pay the entire fee for a private DM.

The Reef Club was just rebuilding their children's play center at the begining of this summer. All reconstruction has been completed. They do have organized activities for children, but I cannot comment on them as I have never used them. You might want to bring a portable DVD player with some movies, as their TV selection for children is limited. There are several cartoon stations brodcasting in spanish. All of the tv's seem to have RCA connections.

The main restaraunt and the snack bar have more selections that kids will like. The italian restaraunt will try to accomodate children, but they have a limited menu each day.

I would say a Middle class resort, not the Hilton but clean and comfortable place like a Holiday Inn. Reef Club bills itself as a family resort. So yes it will have other kids there and yours will like the fact that they can have fun without the staff telling them to take it easy. Not a resort for the uppity crowd who don't want to see kids. Just make sure to tell the kids no diving into the pools. All Pools are 4' max with one a zero depth at one end. Go to the dollar store at home and get a couple floats for the kids then just leave them when you leave, New inflatables don't take up much room in baggage and kids love them. Talk sand dollar into filling them from a tank. Masks and snorkels available for free as are kayaks. Jet ski and such is a charge.
Water temp will be around 80 in early Dec and 78 late Dec. No guaranties on weather but should be 80 day time 70 at night. May get a north wind which cools things to low 60 so bring a windbreaker. $1 emergency ponchos from the dollar store may come in handy also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom