How often do you clear your mask?

How often do you clear your mask during an average dive?

• Usually never after the initial clearing

Votes: 67 34.7%
  • Once

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Couple of times

Votes: 56 29.0%
  • 4-6 times

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • 7-10 times

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • Dozen or more times

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • All the same if I wore a mask or not, I am constantly clearing it

Votes: 8 4.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have to clear a lot, due to fogging, but it's likely my face, i have the same problem with ski goggles (only found one shape of Oakley's that don't fog constantly, and even those are no good when it's really humid), my fire dept SCBA, and dive mask. i think i just give off a lot of face heat.

I never ever have to clear unless I get a little bit of water in the nose of my mask from my regulator. I don't usually have a fog problem as I have become very anal about mask defog and spitting on my mask before going down. I love my mask (it's an Aqua Lung) and I'm glad it fits me perfect and I don't have to clear that often. I had one heck of a time not drowning during my open water checkout dive when I had to do the remove mask, replace and clear skill. Mask clearing is the only thing I fear having to perfect to demo quality when I start working on divemaster....one near drowning experience was enough! (And I'm a lifeguard too! ACK! Imagine the headlines for that one! "Lifeguard drowns scuba diving" LOL!)

Last edited:
I don't notice a little water in my mask and frankly, I rarely notice it when I'm clearing my mask. It's merely one of those automatic things you do when diving, like exhaling to sink and inhaling to rise - automatic and requires no thought.

I am fortunate that my (cheap) mask never leaks a drop. My lovely bride however, can not say the same. She is on mask number 10! But, I don’t mind buying them knowing that once she finds the one that fits her, she will be very happy. Happy wives make husbands very happy!

Press on and find one that fits your face, cheap or expensive, there is one out there for you.

Diving to too expensive and way too much fun to dive with a leaky mask!

Most masks fit me to the point that they only leak now and again. However the Atomic Frameless fits me to the point I get mask squeeze, and that with a full mustache.

I thought I found a good fit with the XVision, until I tried the Atomic. It's a matter of face shape mating with mask shape, but I get squeeze with the Atomic which is a good thing.

On some dives my strap is not tight, or something else is going on, and I have to clear a time or two. However usually not at all if the fit is right when I descend. Finding the *RIGHT* mask fit can take some time. I think I went through about 5 masks, but it is worth it once one finds "THE FIT"!

Not too often unless I'm smiling and laughing a lot, or I get fog. My new low profile mask is so much easier to clear than my old one, I love it.

I tend to frequently exhale through my nose which will purge any water that gets in. I have a mustache and so my mask does leak a bit but with equalization needs and all it's not an issue.

I went through four before I found one that didn't leak, but this one, I often go through an entire dive without getting a drop of water in it, unless I'm diving with Sounder or HBDiveGirl and they make me laugh :)

Excuse my ignorance please and remember this is a safe forum:D but if you get a fin in the face isn't it your fault... kinda like following to close for conditions?

Excuse my ignorance please and remember this is a safe forum:D but if you get a fin in the face isn't it your fault... kinda like following to close for conditions?

From reading ScubaBoard, I have come to the conclusion it depends on if the kicker was wearing a split fins or not.

Although in all serious I would think that it depends, sorta like driving wrecks. Normally the person who hits the person in the back in at fault (ie the one getting kicked). But there are circumstances that that isn't true. IE someone passing you then getting in front of you and slamming on the breaks and so on.

Back
Top Bottom