How to be a good buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wij.. very good advice. I dove with people with 5 times my skill level, but not good buddy. skill and buddy skill. need both.

and baenglish73......you can be my wingman anytime...

Do pay attention to all the posts... lots of good information.

And I agree that your asking this question makes you an excellent candidate for a buddy.

If you find that a more experienced diver is put off by having a n00b for a buddy try to be understanding (some folks who are paying money for the dive don't want to take a chance on their dive being ruined/shortened.)

But also take that as a window into their current state of mind... you probably don't want them for a buddy on this dive either.

One thing that is a constant source of grief for me when diving with n00bs (and I do my fair share) is getting them to stay within my field of vision. Invariably they will *fly wingman*... a little higher and a little back. This wouldn't be a problem with one of my regular dive buddies who use HID lights. But with someone that I am trying to keep an eye on it is quite a distraction.

So... if you should be so fortunate as to find a more experienced diver who will not only dive with you but actually care what happens to you on the dive then please keep yourself in his/her field of view... or at least where a slight turn of the head will allow them to see you.

Wijbrandus once bubbled...
Arnaud,

Are you saying that as a rookie diver, I shouldn't go out on a trip? I should just stay on the cruise boat, and not get wet?

And I mean start on the first day of the cruise. You will likely be diving in a group all from your cruise ship. Find out who is going and get to know them. See who you are comfortable with & who you just hit it off with. With a little luck, you'll have a buddy & know much of what you need to know about each other before you hit you destination port.

Enjoy

Welcome to the board.

My wife is my primary dive buddy - but I often dive the boats out in So Cal and deal with the whole insta-buddy thing. After awhile you get the screening process dialed in - As Arnaud was saying, sometimes you get a winner, sometimes a weiner.

My thoughts on this: 90% is PRE-DIVE

#1 - let the DM on the ship / trip know you're diving single, are new and are looking for a buddy. Often he/she may know some of the regulars on the trip and can pair you up with someone who gets it.

#2 - be forthright. Let the insta-buddy (IB) know your're new. And interview the IB... dive experience, ever been to this location, any health issues you should be aware of, etc, etc. What size cylinder do they have (meaning, who has the most gas....) Stuff like that. Get a feel for this person.

#3 - Dive objective - be sure you have the same dive objectives. Is the IB a photographer? Be prepared to hang out while they shoot (not a bad thing while you get your dive groove on). Is the IB a hunter (lobster, spearing, etc...) that would suck for you, as my experience is most hunters are into the hunt and not into buddy-sitting. Get the objectives dialed in. If you're there to work on getting comfy with your gear, and want to work on drills, or maybe just want to float a bit and get your buoyancy dialed in, its all good. Just come to consensus before the gate opens and you hit the water. Just getting wet and looking around is my objective abotu 75% of the time...that's cool too. Just be sure there is consensus.

#4 - Dive plan. Now you know what you want to do on the dive (the WHATY and WHY) now you address the HOW and WHERE (we'll go to 30', head that a way to those cool rocks, drop to 50 for 5 minutes, hang out, until we reach XXX gas, then head slowly back to the chain with a very slow ascent, with stops at XX for XX minutes....) Get the plan together. You will be amazed at how many people think a plan is "go that way until 1/2 my gas is gone, then come back..." 3 and 4 are essential.

#5 - signals - get them together. OOA, Slow Down, turn around, and of course the numbers (how do you make a 6?) There are specific ways to flash numbers - but not everyone is on board. Get this together. You and Wifie will probably develop excellent communication - we have. But for IB's be sure you can "talk" underwater.

#6 - Equipment - know theirs, and be sure the IB knows yours. Every piece of equipment is a team resource - from slate to mask to octo and primary. Be sure you go through their rig, and the IB goes through yours so you know where to find stuff is things get weird.

#7 - WAIT FOR YOUR BUDDY AT THE ENTRY POINT. its mind-blowing to me how many times my IB will hit the water and then swim to the bow and wait for me on the chain. Or go into the shore, wade out 50 or 100' and wait for me there. Sticking close doesn't start on the descent. It starts on entry.

IN WATER

You're both in the water, everything is cool. Lets dive. Remember to stick close. I hate it when I find myself rubber necking for my buddy. I almost always let the other guy lead for that reason. I have a light, I make sure I stick close and keep myself visible so they can relax and enjoy the dive. But this also lets me keep a close watch on my backup gas supply.

If the IB is a racehorse, I'll yank a fin and flash the "woah nelly" sign so can keep up. I'm almost always more comfortable, all things being equal, being the wing man.

Its been said: stick close.

Remember to have fun. Stay aware - watch the IB's in-water behavior, breathing pattern, etc. to be sure everything is OK. You're gonna have a great time. Do your buddy homework above the water, and you'll have a great dive...and you'll be prepared if things go south.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
<snip>

I hate it when I find myself rubber necking for my buddy. I almost always let the other guy lead for that reason.

Doesn't that mean he's rubber-necking for you? I really think shoulder-to-shoulder works better. Why would you follow?

If the IB is a racehorse, I'll yank a fin and flash the "woah nelly" sign so can keep up. I'm almost always more comfortable, all things being equal, being the wing man.

And if that doesn't work then I've been known to hook a finger into his cam-band and ride him like a scooter. I rode a buddy for a whole dive one time and he never noticed a thing :)

R..

Wijbrandus once bubbled...
Arnaud,

I'm not sure what I should get out of that post.

Are you saying that as a rookie diver, I shouldn't go out on a trip? I should just stay on the cruise boat, and not get wet?

Seems to me this is the only way I'll get the experience I need to meet the standard you want in a dive buddy.

I'm confused. Perhaps you could elaborate on your point?

My post was to be read the other way around... The fact that you are inquiring about what you need to do shows, as pointed out by the others, that you would be a valuable buddy. The concern I expressed was about your ability to find a reliable buddy at random, on a boat.

Unfortunately, buddy skills are not always directly related to experience.

2 examples: A friend of mine was certified last year. We dove together this summer. He had less than 10 logged dives, but he's a natural. Staying close, always prepared, eager to learn. It was a pleasure. Same trip, a guy who had been diving for 5 years didn't show any concern for my safety and decided that a buddy (i.e. me) was of no use during a night dive (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36177&highlight=night)

So, I've learned my lessons. This has happened too many times to me. I've canceled several boat trips because I don't dive solo (with or without a buddy). When I meet a new buddy who wants to go diving, we start with a few beach dives in Catalina or Malibu. If the experience is mutually conclusive, we then go on a boat trip together.

Again, apologies if my post was misleading. You're absolutely right to ask these questions. My only goal was to shed a different light on the discussion.

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Doesn't that mean he's rubber-necking for you? I really think shoulder-to-shoulder works better. Why would you follow?

Nope. If the guy is the wing man, but he/she trails off into never never land, and I'm constantly looking over my shoulder to confirm the IB is still around...it funks the dive for me. I could be perfectly in their field of view, but they're not in mine. By follow I mean over the shoulder, to the right (or left...conditions) not side-by-each. I can't monitor from the side, only from the top. Hence, the light. Over the shoulder is where I prefer. No need for the IB to be looking for me. I'm there. I do this becauae I am very confident in my abilities to look out for both of us. I am not confident with any IB in his/her ability to look out for me.

And if that doesn't work then I've been known to hook a finger into his cam-band and ride him like a scooter. I rode a buddy for a whole dive one time and he never noticed a thing :)

R..

Is that anything like clip him off like a stage? :D

There's some situational awareness working there. too funny. Rot the Remora....

K

:confused:

Diver0001 once bubbled...

<convenient snip> ride him like a scooter. I rode a buddy for a whole dive one time and he never noticed a thing :)

R.. [/B]

Is that legal in the Netherlands?

Thank you so much for the informative replies. I'll be printing this thread off to pack in my luggage for review before the actual dive part. The tips you've given me are worth their weight in gold.

Unfortunately, I am diving a small boat trip that I am organizing locally in Aruba. The dive master is already aware of my level of training. This won't make putting a partner together ahead of time possible. It will, however, make the trip more comfortable I hope. I've heard nightmares of cruise dive trips being overbooked by as much as 50%, and I wanted a better experience for my first time.

I will have assembled my basics by then. Is there anything I should put in my dive kit that the boat may not have? I'm assuming I'll need my own defog, sunscreen, and water. What other things should I bring?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom