How to be a good buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus said...
Are you saying that as a rookie diver, I shouldn't go out on a trip? I should just stay on the cruise boat, and not get wet?

Seems to me this is the only way I'll get the experience I need to meet the standard you want in a dive buddy.

Wijbrandus, I have done loads of dives with strangers. Some of them were great to dive with and became regular buddies. Some of them weren't so great, but that's the way it goes. Overall I've learnt a lot from being exposed to all sorts of different ideas and diving styles. I used to envy people who learnt to dive with their SO and always had a buddy standing by, but now I wouldn't trade my experiences for theirs.

One tip: if you are buddied with a diver who has more experience, don't keep apologising for being a newbie. Once or twice is fine... after that, bite your tongue and enjoy the dive!

Z

One tip: if you are buddied with a diver who has more experience, don't keep apologising for being a newbie. Once or twice is fine... after that, bite your tongue and enjoy the dive!

Z,

Thanks for the tip. I learned that one in the Army. It's amazing how quickly a psychopathic NCO can quickly break a habit. :mean:

"And if that doesn't work then I've been known to hook a finger into his cam-band and ride him like a scooter. I rode a buddy for a whole dive one time and he never noticed a thing "

OUTSTANDING!!, Diver0001, I must thank you for this air consumption reduction tip.

Wijbrandus once bubbled...

I will have assembled my basics by then. Is there anything I should put in my dive kit that the boat may not have? I'm assuming I'll need my own defog, sunscreen, and water. What other things should I bring?

Boats in the Carribean often have a cooler of drinking water on board, though it's probably less likely the smaller the boat. I usually take my insulated water bottle full just in case, and refill it from the cooler as I find a bottle more convienient than cups on a boat, and it's environmentally better as well.

Some boats will have some kind of defog, some don't. Personally I still find that built-in stuff you always have with you works best!

You'll probably want that sunscreen if the boat has no shade. You might want a towel.

There's lots of little things you might want. I suggest getting a drybox for little stuff, at least start with a ziploc or some other container, keep it with your gear. Over time you'll accumulate a variety of useful small stuff. Some things I can think of in my box:

small roll of duct tape (try rolling some around a small dowel or bit of plastic tube)
length of double sided velcro
(between duct tape and velcro you can fix alot!)
pencil/pen
crescent wrench, allen wrench
multitool
spare o-rings
spare mouthpiece
nylon ties (useful for lots besides a mouthpiece)
a little money/change
film
candy
extra lanyard, clips
small sunblock stick good for lips too
other small spare straps/parts

I'm sure everyone has their own list. I just searched, here's a thread to look at-
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20449

baenglish73 once bubbled...
"And if that doesn't work then I've been known to hook a finger into his cam-band and ride him like a scooter. I rode a buddy for a whole dive one time and he never noticed a thing "

Is that legal in the Netherlands?

Yes, but ONLY in the Netherlands! :wink:

Diver0001 once bubbled...

I rode a buddy for a whole dive one time and he never noticed a thing :)

R..

Short dive.:wink:

The buddy tow ring.

Very nice.

I can hear the post-dive conversation now:

Rot: "great dive, man. I feel great"

Rot Buddy: "woah..wicked current on the way back"

Rot: "uh, I didn't notice. Buy my SAC on this dive was about .27"

Rot Buddy: "Hmmm...mines was at .98... can we sit the next one out...?"

Brings new meaning to the term: "clip him off like a stage (coach)..." :D

K

You'll do fine!!

You didn't say where you are going on the cruise. If it's the Carribean, you'll be booking , more than likely, with an independant operator at each port. All those reputable operators provide experienced divemasters. Try to find a buddy you feel comfortable with beforehand and plan to stay close to your buddy. Then, talk to the dive master to make yourself more comfortable. He or she will be helpful and understanding. Then, you and your buddy should stay as close to the divemaster's afterburner as politely possible during the dive. You will see so much more that your untrained eyes could miss on this important dive. Also, the proximity to the divemaster will further your learning experience and certainly make your dive much more comfortable.

Have fun!!

Rotuner has really nailed it down for you, as have several others.

To the other comments I would add, interview your potential buddy carefully. Listen closely to them and find out what they are like. Are they a "same ocean" buddy, or a true dive buddy who will stay close enough to be able to help in a stituation. You don't want an adrineline junkie either. I recommend you avoid hunters and photographers for nowas they are usally very busy with their hobby.

I would also recommend you lead the dive, you are more likely to want to stop and look at stuff and this way the more experienced diver can eailsy keep an eye on you.

Also agree on an no I don't want to do that your are on your own signal, just in case you buddy wants to do somthing that exceeds your skill level or your idea of what is safe. Sometime you just got to say goodby rather than follow a buddy into an unsafe situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom