How to handle non diving husband who is being difficult....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My GF is superhot looking in her 7 mil and her drysuit! Especially when she burps the dry suit and it forms to her. Reminds me of a Borg queen without the bald head and wires and tubes sticking out of weird places. Put the BC on and Damn! Can't wait to get her in a plate and wing this season. :wink:

Well, at my house, when there is new dive gear brought in, it seems it is accompanied by something new in the wife's closet or in the kitchen or somewhere. It is ok by me.

whatever you do, don't let your husband see this thread...

I'm very lucky. I am in the process of getting OW certified. My husband has pretty severe asthma and cannot dive, nor does he have any interest because the thought of an asthma attack under water terrifies him. But he has supported my pursuit from the get go. I have paid for my training, wetsuit and BC. He gave me a gift certificate to the LDS for my birthday. We've already discussed what our vacation compromise is going to be. I think you've gotten some good ideas about how to approach this. He'll come around.

I don't quite get that one either... How good can you look covered in 7mm black neoprene, with a hood and wearing a bc with a cylinder on your back cause where I am that's what I have been diving in.

Only because you went there.....
In a skin tight rubber suit that is often cut to accentuate curves, with eyes framed in your mask and your lips wrapped around the mouthpiece..... Yes, during the dive you are cluttered in gear but don't think you become any less female.

scubaboard is a great place get advice from some of the foremost experts in the world about equipment, dive planning, gas management, underwater photography, etc...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha lolololololololololololol haahuahuahauahauhhauahuahauahau
roflmao

I'm a female and I'm with Dr. Lecter on this one. Tell him to get with the program. He's not going to give up his hobby addiction, why should you? He grows up and acts like an adult equal partner (letting you "self-actualize" ((drrich are you kidding me???))) Or kick him to the curb.

All that said, you know your husband and modifying your approach is probably best. I hear compromise is a good thing but hey, it isn't compromise when it's one sided. You might not want to hear it but I'm leaning with the people who've recommended counseling . . .

---------- Post added May 17th, 2013 at 07:07 PM ----------

And you guys out there thanks for letting us know that even with DNA samples hanging out of our nose, squeeze marks, beyond unruly hair, bare faced, covered in multiple layers of perhaps not the normal perception of flattering garments, you still find some of us desirable. :wink:

Last edited:
It may be a little different if you have 22 years invested in a relationship rather than having a "partner". To me, a partner is about loving the one you're with, to paraphrase CSNY.

My wife will be 46 next week. I still look at her lustfully in her bikini, which she works in. It's a good life.... :D

What are horizontal bubbles? High current drift diving? That's my kind of girl... :)

Yes..a big current junkie here - and im actually 47 lol - dont post after drinking...I do agree with what you are getting at, but, no matter how longstanding a relationship is I think I'd do the same if someone told me I couldn't do something that genuinely makes me happy. Ive got this 18 year relationship with two other guys - they happen to be my sons - and they often get snakey before I leave for a dive trip. Neither of them are divers, both for some reason hate the ocean and assume I will be eaten by sharks or pop up and get hit in the head by a cargo ship or something. I explained to them that for me, diving is my passion, its my own personal peace zone and while I understand their worries, I would support them in any activity they really wanted to do because I love them and want to see them happy.
Maybe the OP needs to explain to her husband how much joy she is getting from diving and see if there is a middle ground as has been suggested by many other posters - you fish on this trip, I dive, we discuss catches and bubbles over dinner......and no one looks great with maskface, hoodhair and nose bubbles :D

My husband showed shades of what you're talking about when I first started diving and it probably boiled down to jealousy, control and a change in the status quo. He had played (and still plays) baseball weekly, but seemed a little threatened when I got addicted to diving. We planned to take the course together and did a discovery dive, but then only I followed through with the course. He watches shows about diving/sea life a lot, tried a discover dive a couple more times, came to some of my courses, has gone on some group dive trips, and enjoys socializing with my diving friends.

In the early years, I was sometimes the only female on the boat, and he would vocalize his disdain for that. Now, there are many females in my diving circle here and we've sometimes had all or almost all female boats. If there were no other females on an overnight trip, I would book a room by myself. He would always ask who would be/was present and who I was rooming with/carpooling with. He became less concerned as he got to know my dive buddies and the years went on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom