How to handle violation of a dive site rules (Solo Diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shrug. He's breaking the private property owner's rules/regs, so I don't have a ton of sympathy for him, and he's likely to get caught by the people who actually have a reason to care about his breaking the rules (since you're unclear, let me help you out: that's not you) sooner or later anyway. On the other hand, you seem like a busybody [further adjectives self-censored due to this being basic scuba].

My advice is do whatever you want with your fake concern for his wellbeing/the site/certified solo divers (also not you).

I'd have said something to him along the lines of "Don't you have a pony bottle? You know you're supposed to have one to dive solo here, right?" ... and left it at that. If he experiences a bad outcome, you did what you reasonably could have to inform him, and he invited Darwin along as his dive buddy anyway. You're not his keeper, and he is responsible for his own safety. So if he wants to take those kinds of risks, it's not your problem.

On the other hand, if he kills himself the likely outcome will be "No Solo Diving" signs for everybody. It's usually the case that rules get changed and enforced to protect stupid people from themselves, at the expense of all the reasonable people who don't need those rules. As a friend of mine puts it ... "people like that are why we can't have nice things" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

An option not mentioned here is that the op could have mentioned something to the wife about how her hubby didn't have the additional gear that is required by the owners of this location and the reason they require it is that since he is alone, if something happens odds are....

and leave it at that! She might ask her husband to do two or three more with the same tank since they are there anyhow :D

As some others wrote/insinuated above, tone is everything. If it appears that a diver isn't aware of something rules- or (especially) safety-related, I hope I would say something to alert him/her, as I have in the past. I recognize that doing this is difficult for some people. And, some people, including some of us SB members (evidently, from the "tone" of some of our SB posts), have *never* learned how to to this type of thing! And, of course, some people will take offense and react accordingly no matter what. Be prepared for that.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. Related to the op, I don't think I've ever been annoyed when a diver expresses his/her "concern" when I'm preparing to dive solo. I view these occasions as valuable opportunities to help these divers understand that this type of diving is different than what they were probably taught in their open water certification course and requires a different mindset and approach. I don't attempt to "teach" them, though, and I won't be "preached at" or "proselytized to."

I like Bob's approach, but if you got pushback from the diver, I'd have considered talking to the site management, and here is why: This is not a public site. It is private property, and has rules. The rules established by the landowner are being broken, and I would assume they are there for a reason. One of the reasons may be that the landowner's insurance will not cover him for any claims made, if the rules are not followed. If the diver were to have an accident or incident, and he or his family sued, the landowner would face horrendous legal costs, even if he eventually won.

Making a dive site available to the public is something we all want to have continue. If landowners perceive unacceptable risks or expenses from doing so, they'll convert the place to a swimming hole or fishing site, and tell the divers to go pound sand. THIS is why I would have said something.

Just wait until you see what divers will do, even with the "needed" level of certification card in hand.

The argument that you're protecting the dive access by acting against this "prohibited" behavior is specious. If someone dies, following or violating he rules, their second cousin is going to sue for _____. They have equal chances of winning no matter what posted signs were violated.

Well, you were really not trying to make any waves but you know that was wrong or you would not be asking it here.

Not really. OP has far too little information for the assumptions they are making.

You had several choices from the getgo. 1) simply look the other way, dummy up and see nothing. (The question is, "how would you feel today if he was dead?" Pretty screwed up question huh?)

Nope - reasonable question. Here's my reasonable answer - I ain't their mommy and I aint the scuba police. Not my call - especially with only wild a$$ed suppositions to go on. They die it's on them not me. And it wouldn't make me feel the least bit bad.

2) Explained the rules. (He just might be new to the area and just did not know). 3) Offer to let him join your group. 4) Report him to the site manager. (This would keep you having to do a face to face and possible B#$%&ing contest.

Unless you're an official scuba cop with a badge MYOB. It's the site manager's responsibility not your's. Plan your own dive and mind your own business. Too effing many crusaders in this world who want to play nanny/mommy.

I mostly like Bob's approach. I probably would have made a bit more small talk initially and when he mentioned that his wife won't join him, said something along he lines of "oh, you're going solo, then?" without any implied accusation. And watched his response. If it's along the lines of "unfortunately, I don't have anyone to dive with" I would have offered him to join my team if he seemed reasonable and our plans are compatible. If it was "I like going solo", I probably would have asked something like "don't you need a pony for that here?" And then taken it from there. If he regrets having none, I'd probably again offered him to join our team. If he just dismisses it as "I'll be fine", I'd let it be his problem and let him do whatever he wants - I am not responsible for his well-being. If he got combative, I might consider informing management.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom