How to handle violation of a dive site rules (Solo Diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not about diving time nor being an instructor....both die equally. Training is what counts.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 08:33 PM ----------

Here is the winner of the worst answer to the question at hand. We have to police our community. Would you feel the same if a little girl was getting raped? Maybe in NY but not always elsewhere. Waty too many communities are going to the thuds and drug dealers because others do not want to stand up for what is right. I gave several examples of how the situation could be explained / handled without being an A$$. You offer nothing.

Maybe in NY what? Some form of intervention is warranted not just for little girls, but also for medium sized girls, big girls, and little old ladies. Boys, too. And old men. Even goats.

Somehow lumping in solo divers with rapists, drug dealers, and thugs seems extreme. Maybe it's me.

An interesting footnote: The word 'thug' is derived from the Hindu word 'Tugee' meaning a religious sect that worshiped the death goddess Kali. They carried a small rope used to strangle victims as an offering to Kali. This was their primary religious duty, something like the faith offerings that some folks mail in to televangelists.

I suppose those Tugees are hardly distinguishable from uncertified solo divers. We must stand up to them or our civilization will crumble.

I learned to dive on my own from books 50 years ago, and dived solo for years. I still do. It's the best kind of diving there is. I'd consider solo training if I knew of an instructor who had as much experience as I do, and had some new ideas. From what I've seen personally and read in solo diving instruction manuals, they have little to offer. Any thoroughly trained diver should be perfectly competent as a solo diver.

Here is the winner of the worst answer to the question at hand. We have to police our community. Would you feel the same if a little girl was getting raped? .... Way too many communities are going to the thuds and drug dealers because others do not want to stand up for what is right.

I think that we have a new winner!

I guess the question might also be whether the laws being broken are reasonable or not (I would consider the owners rules to be laws). Why do solo divers need to do those things that a buddy team does not? How does a dive plan safe guard anyone? What experience does the owner have to believe those interventions would reduce accidents? What evidence is the law based on.

I might buy the redundant air source idea, and perhaps grudgingly even the cert card (solo, not intro to tech which does not teach someone to solo) but not the dive plan. That's onerous on a solo diver in a way that's discriminatory and deserves to be ignored.

Maybe in NY what? Some form of intervention is warranted not just for little girls, but also for medium sized girls, big girls, and little old ladies. Boys, too. And old men. Even goats.

Somehow lumping in solo divers with rapists, drug dealers, and thugs seems extreme. Maybe it's me.

An interesting footnote: The word 'thug' is derived from the Hindu word 'Tugee' meaning a religious sect that worshiped the death goddess Kali. They carried a small rope used to strangle victims as an offering to Kali. This was their primary religious duty, something like the faith offerings that some folks mail in to televangelists.

I suppose those Tugees are hardly distinguishable from uncertified solo divers. We must stand up to them or our civilization will crumble.

I learned to dive on my own from books 50 years ago, and dived solo for years. I still do. It's the best kind of diving there is. I'd consider solo training if I knew of an instructor who had as much experience as I do, and had some new ideas. From what I've seen personally and read in solo diving instruction manuals, they have little to offer. Any thoroughly trained diver should be perfectly competent as a solo diver.

I agree with some of what you said and yes all forms of life need protecting at some point and not limited to your girls being raped. I also included "thuds" as it is used in this day and time. I was just trying to point out that too many people just watch crap happen and do not want to get involved.

As for you diving, it is just that. Your diving, as long as it does not infinge on my freedom to access to sites, is your diving. This site has hard inplace rules and if you do not want to adhere to those rules then simple don't dive there. Breaking the rules of the owner is just breaking the rules. No reading into it. It is wrong. Period!

The Montgomery City Bus Company had a rule about blacks riding in the back. Should Rosa Parks gone along with that rule or not used the bus?

Some rules are wrong.

I guess the question might also be whether the laws being broken are reasonable or not (I would consider the owners rules to be laws). Why do solo divers need to do those things that a buddy team does not? How does a dive plan safe guard anyone? What experience does the owner have to believe those interventions would reduce accidents? What evidence is the law based on.

I might buy the redundant air source idea, and perhaps grudgingly even the cert card (solo, not intro to tech which does not teach someone to solo) but not the dive plan. That's onerous on a solo diver in a way that's discriminatory and deserves to be ignored.

One of the absolutely true things I learned decades ago is that every diver should regard themselves as a solo diver, however many divers may be nearby. Developing your ability to function completely independently, without reliance on anyone else, is by far the safest diving technique. A well trained diver is by definition a solo diver. In the final analysis we are all solo divers. Depending on another diver provides the illusion of safety, but not the reality.

Shrug. He's breaking the private property owner's rules/regs, so I don't have a ton of sympathy for him, and he's likely to get caught by the people who actually have a reason to care about his breaking the rules (since you're unclear, let me help you out: that's not you) sooner or later anyway. On the other hand, you seem like a busybody [further adjectives self-censored due to this being basic scuba].

My advice is do whatever you want with your fake concern for his wellbeing/the site/certified solo divers (also not you).

Wow, that is a little harsh for what is basically an etiquette question... I am in the MYOB camp. I think it would be reasonable to say "oh, are you going solo?" and seeing where the conversation goes.... I would definitely not say anything to management, be paid his nickel and signed the release. I've never paid to puddle dive, so I really don't know much about what is acceptable. I would say it would be a different issue If there were anything like caverns or caves, where a little ignorance can go a long way. I am going to guess this place is a theme park, not much else.

And people knowingly bend rules all the time.

I did a missile silo dive once. At the predive briefing the guide stated that no breathing off ponies was allowed. This threw a wrench in my plans as I intentionally brought a 40cuft pony to accentuate my smaller St72 (easier to climb ladders with than a big single or doubles). I took the guide aside and explained that I would breath 20cuft off my pony and switch to backgas, keeping 20cuft in reserve. I must have appeared to know what I was talking about because he said fine and there I was, breathing off my pony.

I've never paid to puddle dive, so I really don't know much about what is acceptable. I would say it would be a different issue If there were anything like caverns or caves, where a little ignorance can go a long way. I am going to guess this place is a theme park, not much else.

Not sure what you mean by a "theme park", but I certainly respect our local quarry, and understand that the people who have died in these "puddles" are just as dead as those who have died in caverns or caves.

I think that we have a new winner!

I have no idea as to what you are trying to say.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 10:10 PM ----------

Not sure what you mean by a "theme park", but I certainly respect our local quarry, and understand that the people who have died in these "puddles" are just as dead as those who have died in caverns or caves.

Exactly!

Back
Top Bottom