How to handle violation of a dive site rules (Solo Diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea as to what you are trying to say.

Hah! Just having some fun with your answer...

I think that we need a version of Godwin's law for this forum. That comparing proponents of certain diving practices to child rapists, drug dealers or Jim Crow segregationists is an automatic disqualification.

I'm not trying to police him, I thing I'm more concerned for the site, and that nothing happens that would jeopardize solo diving for those who do meet the site requirements. I also don't know how strictly they enforce them. I also didn't directly challenge him before he dove, so I could be mistaken, but the fact that he was solo single tank raises enough flags even for me.

That's a big "not your problem" problem, which is the best kind of problem to have.

I'm guessing you're referring to Dutch Springs.

If so, they know what's going on, in greater detail than many prisons, and if the guy went in and got out solo and didn't get yelled at or tossed, management knew he was there and what he was doing.

I wouldn't worry about it.

And if he's exceptionally stupid and/or unlucky, Darwin is always watching.

Sadly, you'll find lots of divers where you'll scratch your head and wonder how they're still alive, but you can't do much there either.

All you can do is keep yourself safe and if you have any left over attention, try to keep your buddy safe.

flots.

Hah! Just having some fun with your answer...

I think that we need a version of Godwin's law for this forum. That comparing proponents of certain diving practices to child rapists, drug dealers or Jim Crow segregationists is an automatic disqualification.
I was catching up on this post and thinking "Gee, if we only had a Nazi reference in here, we'd have it all!" Glad someone else was thinking the same thing. =)

-B

This is why I avoid diving (such as it is) at such places as quarries and private lakes.

I generally do not use redundant systems for simple solo dives and yes, I am solo certified.

N

I was catching up on this post and thinking "Gee, if we only had a Nazi reference in here, we'd have it all!" Glad someone else was thinking the same thing. =)

-B

OK, i'll try again to clear up the silt that I may caused. I am not a Nazi and never said anything about total enforcement to include physical harm or restraint. I gave several suggestions to chose from to include doing nothing. I am very easy to get along with and I only offer suggestions in a very subtle manner. I just used the rape, thuds and drug dealers as an example of how people will often just bury their head in the sand and dummy up. If that is your speed then go for it. I was just answering the OP question.

I once had a guy question the dive in which we were planning. My buddy and I were very new to diving. All he said was, "Have you ever dived here before?" We replied no. He said, "It's not worth it, getting out is easy coming back can kill you." He drove on and we changed our minds and had a great dive elsewhere. If anyone knows the site it was Onna near Horse shoe in Okinawa post typhoon.

What I do find rather interesting is the different take on the situation when it pertains to caves and caverns as opposed to open water.

I would not intrervien in either. Im not sure the sceneros you suggest could happen. Both suggest that you have stopped to talk to them. so #2 couldnt happen as far as "you overheard". If you did only overheard you wouldnt know that they were recent certifides. #1 is not an uncommon situation. solo without a pony or isolated doubles. #2 may be ones first exposure to low visibility with fer of seperation, and the other says just stick with me. I think that if anyone approached me I would wonder who they were and to show me thier scubapolice badge or move on. You cant save people from themselves. Some just resent people butting in.

OK, you are at the shore of a dive quarry. It's a nice day, but water temperatures are in the high 40s on the platform. Visibility is around 5-10 feet. Next to you, you see:

1) An experienced cold water diver in a dry suit. He is planning a no-stop solo dive in a non-overhead environment to CESA depths with a single tank and no redundant gas supply.

2) A couple wearing wetsuits. Both recently certified, both fumbling with their equipment, trying to set up their gear. You overhear one say to the other "just stick with me, and everything will be fine, stop WORRYING so much!".

Which diver(s) do you approach? Which ones are at greater risk? Leaving aside the legal implications of the quarry operators liability, rules, and future access, which one are you going to feel worse about if there is an accident?

OK, i'll try again to clear up the silt that I may caused. I am not a Nazi and never said anything about total enforcement to include physical harm or restraint.
I think you misunderstood the Godwin's Law reference.

No one's calling you a Nazi, they're just pointing out that not telling someone they broke a property owner's rule is NOTHING like not intervening to prevent a child from being sexually assaulted. It's the internet's way of saying that they don't appreciate hyperbolic comparisons.

OP: Reminding the diver of the site's rules is probably the farthest I would have gone; especially if I was a regular of the site and knew the history behind the rule. Like Bob said, some version of "Hey man... they're pretty strict about the gear requirements for solo divers here; do you know the rules?" If the answer is "No", politely fill them in and offer an alternative. People will generally obey the rules if they understand the reason why the rules exist.

If the answer is "Yup (I'm doing it anyway)"; let it be without further comment. You've done your part. If you feel some special affinity to the dive site and its management, let the owner know you saw someone breaking their rules. Ultimately, it's on them to enforce it.

I generally try to remind myself not to mess with a diver's head just before they do their dive (s).

I seem to notice that the common ground of the anti MYOB side is protection of the site. Why is that. I kind of understand it from a cavers point of view but not the scenerios that have been presented. Also there seems to be a belief that no one is responsible for thier own actions. Does it takes a village to dive right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom