How to pick a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know nothing about the different brands out there when it comes to BP/W and so I was wondering-What do I look for? In trying to research myself it looks like they are all pretty much the same with interchangeable parts. I dive warm with maybe 6 to 8 pounds of lead, and I would be using a single tank so what should I consider?

Also, and don't kill me, but can my air2 still be used (or will DIR ninja show up and kill me in my sleep)

1 more question, I understand that in the configuration I am talking about (warm water-little weight, single tank) the crotch strap may not really be useful and I would be OK leaving it off-is that correct? One shop told me it was fine without it, one shop said I would fall out the bottom of the rig without it:confused:

Thanks

You can use an air2 with BP/W - I did this for years and recently changed to bungeed short hose and 51/2 long hose which I like much better. The air2 would now feel very clunky to me and difficult to use. I resisted changing and wish I had not.

Think you would probably want the 2" crotch strap - one of the reasons for wing and plate in recreational diving is improved trim and buoyancy and the strap will allow for a firmer fit. Any time the rig shifts it tends to "knock you off your buoyancy", almost as if you were trying to walk a wire with someone pushing at you. Also the strap will hold near empty aluminum tank down rather than have it float upward. This might be noticeable at safety stops or on the surface. The wing and plate might be a little more difficult to get into but, like a good sports car, it's a nice ride once you do.

Backplates are all almost identical. Buy what ever one you can get cheap.

I would recommend getting a quality wing though, becuase these are NOT all the same. Oxycheq is considered one of the best designed wigns on the market. Thier Mach V singles wing is the best singles wing hands down. Don't buy a "combo" wing. anything made for both singles and doubles will excell at neither.

Backplates are not identical, although they are similar. The main difference I've noticed is in the angle; some are flatter than others. This does make a difference in how the plate feels on your back. Flatter plates are probably better for single tanks. So you'll probably want to at least check out a few before buying. The DSS plate is really nice. It's pretty flat. The oxycheq and dive rite plates seem to be pretty similar, (a little less flat) and the hammerhead plate has a fairly pronounced angle. I use mine for doubles.

The crotch strap is most useful at the surface, but I would use it even if you don't really need it. To me it makes the rig a little more secure and it's not uncomfortable at all.

unless you're planning on scootering any time soon, a one inch crotch strap should suffice - and be a bit more comfortable...

I know nothing about the different brands out there when it comes to BP/W and so I was wondering-What do I look for? In trying to research myself it looks like they are all pretty much the same with interchangeable parts. I dive warm with maybe 6 to 8 pounds of lead, and I would be using a single tank so what should I consider?

Also, and don't kill me, but can my air2 still be used (or will DIR ninja show up and kill me in my sleep)

1 more question, I understand that in the configuration I am talking about (warm water-little weight, single tank) the crotch strap may not really be useful and I would be OK leaving it off-is that correct? One shop told me it was fine without it, one shop said I would fall out the bottom of the rig without it:confused:

Thanks

Hehe, I believe the air2 should work given that the inflator connector is not placed too close to the hose to accommodate thicker Air 2 connector. You can use the plate with no crotch strap. It also depends upon your body composition, if you have a waist or not. If you do then the waist belt will be enough to hold it in place.

The plates are pretty much the same except their weight and size. Depending on what kind of tank you use (AL or steel) and what your balast weight is you can benefit from one or the other. If you wear 6-8 lbs and you get a SS plate you should be perfectly weighted (if you have a some puddling on your BC you will also get 2-3 lbs off) and your weight would be perfectly distributed over your back. You should not be having any probs with horizontal trim and reaching your valve, unless you have short tank like HP80.

Depending on how close the DIR ninjas live to you you can buy a hog harness or the comfort one with all the buckles :) I have found that HOG works best for me.

I called Tobin at Deep See Supply and spent time on the phone with him and he explained what lift I need and what kind of plate will be good for my condition and config. I have their rig for 30 dives now and like it. Good price good quality no unnecessary crap hanging from it. Everything nice and clean. I had no problems with it so far. They have a nice selection of single tank wings. You can give them a try.

You can definitely use an integrated inflater/octo with a BP/W setup. It just takes a bit of work to do it. How easy it will be to use the Scubapro AirII specifically, will depend on the size of the male end of the AirII that feeds into the corrugated hose. Most wings are coming standard these days with 12" long by 3/4"-1" diameter corrugated hoses. If the male end of the AirII is that size no problem there. The fit can be very snug, but never loose. If there are wrinkles or folds in the hose when you zip-tie it on, that's a problem, and you'll need to find another hose and elbow that fits both the wing and the AirII. The other issue is the length of the corrugated hose. If the wing comes with a 12" hose, that length is generally way to short to be used with a AIRII. While you would be able to breath off of it, you would have a lot of difficulty moving your head with it in your mouth. In my case I use a Atomic SS1 on a Halcyon Eclipse 30 wing (if the DIR ninjas haven't come after me for that, you're probably safe) and it took a little trial and error (read as: a few different hose lengths) before I found a good length for me. One that allowed a full range-of-motion of my head with the SS1 in my mouth, but didn't hang down to much, creating drag, increasing the potential for snags, or being dragged across the reef.

All-in-all, the process wasn't difficult (do in large part to PM'ing DA Aquamaster and asking him how he fit his SS1 on his Halcyon), just a little time consuming. All of the parts I needed I got from Dive Gear Express (formerly DiveRite Express). And it really wasn't that expensive.

Personally, I use a 2" crotch strap on my rig (I wouldn't use a 1" strap anymore than I would wear a thong:D).

There is some difference in backplates like material, weight and those neat elastomeric inserts around the slots on the Deep Sea Supply plate. Not only do they prevent chafing, they are grippy enough that you don't need to use slide stops all over the place.

Really, the best answer to "how to buy a BP/W" is to just call Tobin at Deep Sea Supply and get it over with. You will absolutely love the gear. I do...

Richard

Thanks

If you are now using ~8 lbs of lead + 2 lbs of regulator (~10 lbs of total ballast) with your current cylinder and BC a Stainless Steel plate and harness could be all the ballast you need. Your current BC is likely inherently buoyant by 2-4 lbs. so the ~6 lbs of SS Plate may be all you need.

For single tank diving stick with a singles wing. It appears you don't need much wing. I'd want to know more specifics but based on the ballast you are using 17 lbs or maybe a 20 lbs wing should be enough.

Crotch strap? Yes use it. It's pretty common for Jacket BC users to "ratchet" their bc about tight as they can get it in a failed effort to keep their cylinder from flopping around. A BP&W harness does not need to be eye poppingly tight, the shoulder straps, waist strap and crotch strap all act to keep the plate in position on your back. The plate keeps the tank from rolling / flopping. A properly adjusted harness, including the crotch strap basically disappears in the water.

AirII? What's the benefit, one less lp hose?

What's the downside?

1) You need a longer potentially dangly corrugated hose

2) If your inflator malfunctions and you disconnect you lost both your inflator and back up reg

3) If your back reg freeflows and you disconnect you lost both your back up reg and power inflator

4) Air share ascents can be complicated by the need to breath from and manage the buoyancy of two divers using the same device. (You practice these right??)

Resist the temptation to buy a BP&W and then convert it back into a "full featured" BC.

Tobin

Don't go with too large of a bladder----I use a 24 pound to float me & a 120 HP steel(with light---2 mm wetsuit).....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom