How to pick a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AirII? What's the benefit, one less lp hose?

What's the downside?

1) You need a longer potentially dangly corrugated hose

2) If your inflator malfunctions and you disconnect you lost both your inflator and back up reg

3) If your back reg freeflows and you disconnect you lost both your back up reg and power inflator

4) Air share ascents can be complicated by the need to breath from and manage the buoyancy of two divers using the same device. (You practice these right??)

Tobin
Why is it that every time someone asks how, not if they should, put an integrated on their BC, the thread has to turn into a soapbox for people to give their personal opinion on why they believe that an integrated is the worst or best invention ever. Why not save that for the threads that actually ask whether or not they should use an integrated (of which there are hundreds on SB)? While the debate may be a valid one, and it is most certainly a passionate one, it does nothing to help answer the Op's question(s). And more often than not, turns what would've been a great thread with a lot useful info, into a useless mudslinging contest that no one looking for an answer would want to wade through. I mean no offense by this, and I'm not advocating a side, one way or the other. I'm just saying that maybe there's a better thread to try and convince people of your position on integrated octo/inflaters.

Why is it that every time someone asks how, not if they should, put an integrated on their BC, the thread has to turn into a soapbox for people to give their personal opinion on why they believe that an integrated is the worst or best invention ever. Why not save that for the threads that actually ask whether or not they should use an integrated (of which there are hundreds on SB)? While the debate may be a valid one, and it is most certainly a passionate one, it does nothing to help answer the Op's question(s). And more often than not, turns what would've been a great thread with a lot useful info, into a useless mudslinging contest that no one looking for an answer would want to wade through. I mean no offense by this, and I'm not advocating a side, one way or the other. I'm just saying that maybe there's a better thread to try and convince people of your position on integrated octo/inflaters.

Pretty simple really.

Adding a combo octo -Inflator modifies a BP&W in ways that reduce some of the advantages a BP&W offers.

I'd tell the same thing to somebody that does not now own a pickup truck, but plans on buying one and adding a lift kit, skid plates and monster tires, i.e. why not try unmodified first?

Tobin

Why is it that every time someone asks how, not if they should, put an integrated on their BC, the thread has to turn into a soapbox for people to give their personal opinion on why they believe that an integrated is the worst or best invention ever.<SNIP> I'm just saying that maybe there's a better thread to try and convince people of your position on integrated octo/inflaters.

In this case, the OP is a very experienced diver. But in many cases where the question is posed, the diver is in the 0-24 category and diving in cold water with a wetsuit Somebody is trying to talk them into making a mistake (in my view) because, for cold water wetsuit diving, the device doesn't make any sense.

Tobin spent about 5 seconds pointing out why I should ditch the one I had on my BC for over 20 years. Sure, it worked ok in warm water where buoyancy doesn't change much from top to bottom. But, as breathing from a BC is usually a bad idea, trying to vent your BC with the device in your mouth is an equally bad idea. Any other venting tactic with the device is equally bad for a 0-24 diver. Rescue techniques are something that needs consideration.

At least that's why I mention it from time to time.

Richard.

Last edited:
Why is it that every time someone asks how, not if they should, ...... the thread has to turn into a soapbox for people to give their personal opinion

Because threads are discussions. The OPs usually get their questions answered and then the benefit of alternative viewpoints and suggestions.

For instance..... if a newbie diver posted a thread asking "how do I fill my cylinders from my car exhaust", I would not expect many replies describing a process to do that.... but I would expect some prudent advice and discussion on the correct method to safely fill a cylinder for diving.....

Thanks for the input everyone-Yes, I know the advantages/disadvantages to the air 2 and I do practice with it and find that it works for me. As for the BP/W, I will probably see if I can rent one somewhere first before buying - if that's possible.

Because threads are discussions. The OPs usually get their questions answered and then the benefit of alternative viewpoints and suggestions.

For instance..... if a newbie diver posted a thread asking "how do I fill my cylinders from my car exhaust", I would not expect many replies describing a process to do that.... but I would expect some prudent advice and discussion on the correct method to safely fill a cylinder for diving.....

Sure, that might work great for you guys with a V-8 but my little Miata can barely produce 1500 PSI at 7000 rpm.

While the debate may be a valid one, and it is most certainly a passionate one, it does nothing to help answer the Op's question(s). And more often than not, turns what would've been a great thread with a lot useful info, into a useless mudslinging contest that no one looking for an answer would want to wade through.
This is why. This topic rarely (if it ever has) does anything other than result in ridiculous statements, name calling, and bickering. And why I recommend they be directed toward one of the many threads already out there on the topic.

If you're implying that the use of an integrated inflater/octo is as dangerous and stupid as filling your scuba tank with with a toxic gas, you've just illustrated my point.

If you're implying that the use of an integrated inflater/octo is as dangerous and stupid as filling your scuba tank with with a toxic gas, you've just illustrated my point.

I wasn't. It was just a (tongue-in-cheek) analogy to illustrate the benefits of discussion, where side-issues may be raised that contribute to the overall topic.

Quite often, people with limited diving experience can fail to see the bigger picture and there is some benefit to be drawn from the experiences of others.

Novice divers, in the 50-200 dive bracket, tend to get settled with an equipment configuration, but have yet to gain the experience to fully appreciate the problems that may still be inherent with that configuration, or the refinements that could be made to it.

In this instance, the OP raised a question about the selection of a BP/W. He mentioned using an AIR2. Given that an AIR2 is a component within the BP/W, other users have expressed their opinions on how that equipment choice could be improved, whilst also quoting reasons why an AIR2 may not be the optimum choice for use with a BP/W. As such, they seem valid contributions to the thread.

*please note, I have yet to display any personal opinions on the use of AIR2...I am only noting the validity of sharing our personal opinions and experiences (if justified) for the benefit of the initial debate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom