How to take care of Foggy Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a divemaster in Costa Rica use a lighter to burn the silicone off the mask. Damndest thing I ever saw, but worked like a charm....

Hi, diverdiver! What a funny avatar! Does that mean you are hiding?

bar11:
Toothpaste works the best for me.

a mi tambien....

1- warm a pot of water on your stove, to luke warm temp
2- put your mask in the water for 10 min
3- rub toothpaste with your fingers around the lens for 6min
4-repete step two
5- repete step three
6 repete step two
7- repete step three
8- repete step two

clear out the remaining toothpaste and enjoy. this procces removes a slilicone coating that comes with a new mask.
* only attempt this procedure if you have glass lenses

JUMBO

can anyone offer some insight on applying defog and buffing dry? Does that work? Or do anything?

The key is the cleaning, as has been said.... scrub it once using an electric toothbrush and toothpaste and then do it three more times. I usually spend about an hour cleaning a new mask. After that I apply seagold defog right before every dive and -very lightly- rinse it out without touching the lens.

When using defog (or any shampoo or household dish cleaner) make sure you rinse the mask gently. If you rinse it with too hard a spray, you will wash away the benefits of the defog.

Jeff

I went hardcore and used Ajax in my mask, worked great, as for anti-fog, as said earlier baby shapoo works great, I was gonna buy some comercial defog... I belive it was psi500 and it said on the package, do not get in eyes... hmm going to be in my mask with water.... baby shapoo it is!! no tears baby!! Besides you can get like 5gallons of the stuff for what you would pay for a little bottle of defog at the LDS.

I think through some simple experiments I did, drying the defog for a while, and rinsing it just before getting in the water is the verdict. Defog lasted longer than any other combination. Again, get in the water while the glass is wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom