Howdy and some Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whisky_Tango

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking about these boards for the past few days, and now that I am ready to book my trip, I would like to ask a few questions. First, a little background. I am a 30 year old male from the Toronto area in Canada. I am currently going through a divorce (boo) so I am taking a much deserved vacation, traveling single. I received my SSI open water qual back in 2001, but have not been down since. My wife would not dive.

In light of this, I am now getting my PADI cert here in Canada, and will be conducting my referral dives in January in Cozumel. I know that I do not need to do another course, but really wanted to in order to feel more comfortable, and to meet some new divers in my local area. So, enough background.

I am pretty much decided on booking at the Hotel Cozumel, for the AI, proximity to town, and its rep as being more of a younger 'fun' resort. I have been doing a lot of research online and will probably book the flight and hotel through Sunquest here in Canada. This means that I will have to book my diving separately. This is where you all come in. In no particular order:

What are your thoughts on this hotel? My proposed travel dates are Jan 05 to 12/07. Will Cozumel empty out after the holidays, or will I have fellow travellers to have a good time with? Would you recommend going with the onsite Dive Source (figuring that more people from the hotel will be using them, allowing more contact with my resort mates) or would I be better off with a different provider?

Looking at a lot of the Dive services, I would have to combine a 2 day referral course, and purchase a separate dive package to cover my remaining days. Has anyone else done this recently with good results? I will most likely be renting equipment while I am down there.

I know those are a lot of questions, and I hope you don't mind me being so candid, but I am really trying to set up the best vacation for myself that I can. I really enjoyed diving back in 2001 (it was in the Adriatic off of Croatia) and have missed it since. I am looking forward to getting back into it and this trip. Thanks for what I am sure will be some good opinions.

Cheers.

I guess my experience with Cozumel is that you don't need to be at a resort, or with a particular op, in order to have a good time and meet people. The nature of the locals and the kinds of people who dive there mean you'll have a great time, regardless. Rather than book into some kind of souless AI, think about something smaller and more intimate...Las Anclas, Baldwins B&B are a couple of places that come to mind immediately. Just do it abnd go as "local" as you can. You'll not regret it.

MMM, I think you 'hit it on the spot', you don't need to be in an AI to have fun. I stayed at the Barracuda Hotel and after my morning dives (got back around 12 to 1PM) I would grab some food and maybe a beer and lounge around the pool, read, sleep but usually talk and meet people. Sometimes they were on my diveboat that day and staying at an AI or they were just people I met from the night before or from the plane ride. If you are an 'outgoing' person there are endless possibilities, in my one week on Cozumel I was never short for company. Have fun and enjoy!

MMM:
Just do it abnd go as "local" as you can. You'll not regret it.

Agreed. I've been going down to the resorts for the last 3 years. Last month my GF and I stayed in town and got a whole different vibe from Cozumel. Much better. I'd say leave the resorts to the family trips.

Tboxcar has it right. The Barracuda caters to divers and has a great location for hitting the great café's around town without having to cab it. I would go with Christi at Bluextsea for everything, referral and diving the rest of the week. As a single I believe the AI adds a single supplement onto the rate, most are double occupancy so you may pay more than the ad.
Barracuda is a room rate for 1 or 2 so it does not matter. Christi can book hotels too. I've also found www.travelnotes.cc to have excellent prices for Coz.

We have stayed at Hotel Cozumel and at the Barracuda. Of the 2, I would say that Barracuda would better fit your needs based on your intro. It's right on the waterfront, has pool with new restaurant onsite, and lots of divers just hanging around. You'll find couples, singles, and groups there. It's only 5-6 blocks walk to town square so you'll save taxi fare. Hotel Cozumel is a star step -up from Barracuda, but is farther from town, across the street from the waterfront, and seems to have more families around. Both hotels have dive boat pick-up piers for your diving, and any dive op on Coz will pick you up at either hotel by boat. I think Dive Paradise is still the on-site dive op for both hotels. It is a BIG dive op with loads of boats. They tend to have "cattle boats" but you will always only have 8 divers to one DM in the actual water even though there may be many more divers on your boat. I would agree with previous posters that a smaller dive op would better meet your needs on this trip as you introduce yourself back to the water.
Enjoy your trip and best wishes for safe diving to you.

One more vote for the 'cuda. I definitely recommend not staying at an AI in Coz. It's so much better taking a short stroll each evening into town for dinner.

I stayed there last May. In fact, if you search a bit, you'll find my trip report, complete with photos. Oh heck, here it is.

Hello again everyone.

I would like to thank you for all of your thoughts and opinions on lodgings and dive ops. After doing a lot of reading on this board, it is very obvious that each member has their own favourites.

Despite the heavy cheering for the Barracuda, I think that I am going to book at the Hotel Cozumel. I have found an excellent Flight/Hotel combo from Canada that I have not been able to beat anywhere else. Even considering the AI vs a la carte, the HC seems to win. The prices I have been finding for the HC-AI (with flight combo discount) are about the same as any other smaller hotel without food. When adding a modest $30/day food & drink budget, the smaller hotels can actually add up to more. Anyway, I can assure you that I will regardless travel into town for a number of meals and socializing. Wouldn't miss it. I'll also be looking at alternative lodgings for my next trip. I'm sure I'll be back.

For my diving, I am leaning towards Papa Hogs. First, the owners are from Canada. Actually, from a city that I have been to often, not too far from my own area. Also, I had sent out a number of custom information requests, and they just seemed to offer exactly what I was looking for. There are a few more responses that I am waiting on before making my final desision, but so far Papa Hogs is leading the pack.

Thanks again for all the responses. I'll be sure to post once all of my travel and dive arrangements are firm. I can't wait to get everything set. The next two months will seem like forever.

Cheers,

Todd

Whisky_Tango:

Thanks again for all the responses. I'll be sure to post once all of my travel and dive arrangements are firm. I can't wait to get everything set. The next two months will seem like forever.

Cheers,

Todd

Be sure to post AFTER your trip too, so we can all hear about how it was for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom