Hurricane Ian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in Pinellas, where the storm was forecast to come ashore until Tuesday afternoon. House is in a non-evacuation zone. Shutters were put up, generator ready to go.

Lots of wind and some heavy rain, but thankfully no damage. Surprisingly, power stayed on the entire time. Had a few flickers, but that was it. I was expecting to lose power, and if it did, we’d probably have no power for a while. I found out during Irma that the line that serves my house only has a few other houses on it, so fairly low priority. During Irma, I ran the generator for 8-9 days straight.

Here in Micanopy, between Gainesville and Ocala, we had a lot of consistent light/medium rain for over 24 hours with some strong wind gusts. A medium-sized oak tree fell sometime overnight and blocked our driveway. I was able to easily move it though with my old Land Rover and tow strap. We did not lose power, which we were totally expecting. We usually lose it for about a week at a time during hurricanes. And we're thoroughly enjoying the cooler temps!
Other family members in Palm Beach County and Clearwater reported that they're fine, and also didn't lose power. Sincere thoughts and prayers to individuals near Ft. Myers and other hard-hit areas...

.. our SB friends...
In Orlando...Strongest gust recorded by my neighbor's weather station was 72mph. Lots of small branches down but not any big trees. No home damage. Lost power at 5pm, but somehow cable internet is still working{/weird}. I'm on a ski lake and it's come up about 2ft. Estimate I'll be on generator thru Sunday till the last mile of wire get's replaced on my quiet street.

No problem for us in Tampa but we’re 32 miles inland with a lot of forest between us and the coast.

Probably not a good time to let out the cats.

1664491908790.jpeg

Apologies for not posting sooner. No power, cable/internet & very spotty cell service.

Ian was brutal. Worse than Irma which we also went through. The backside & southside of the storm was insane. At our condo the southern eye wall & southern bands hits us for a solid 2 hrs non-stop Wednesday afternoon as the storm crawled NE. It was not fun.

My family and I are safe. Our condo community in Bonita Springs came through it very well. Very little structural damage and far enough inland & ‘high’ enough we saw no storm surge. We are only ~3 miles from Bonita Beach & ~4 miles from Ft Myers Beach as the crow flies.

Coastal communities in Lee/Collier/Charlotte Counties have been completely decimated. Ft. Myers Beach/Sanibel/Captiva have been especially hard hit. It’s literally breathtaking. We are absolutely gutted. It’s going to take years and billions for this area to recover.

Up here in Columbia county, we had gusting winds that knocked lots of spanish moss out of my oak trees. No damage but 4hrs of work cleaning up the yard. After lots of rain all summer, I finally had to turn the yard sprinkler system on last night. Ian did not cause a drop of rain in Columbia county.

Michael

been completely decimated.
At 155mph winds, the video's of roofs torn off and houses knocked down are a shock. Alot of friends took major damage to their property.

Thank you, everyone, for the updates and I pray that the loss of life has been minimal. May those affected find solace and compassion in their communities and abroad.

As I prepare for a trip to Tiger Beach next week, I can't help but feel a little inappropriate. I, for one, will be donating to whatever local charity I can find to make myself feel better.

Ian was brutal. Worse than Irma which we also went through.

This was worse than Charlie. I'm fortunate. I lost a lot of shingles, three oaks, pool cage, cosmetic truck damage. Power is out. Water just came back. I'm only on the internet now, because I am at work. There are two gas stations in the county right now operating and the line is around 2 hours.

Huge freaking eye. We had to be close to the middle, as the winds wen absolutely still for about 30 minutes. I think we were in the eye for about an hour.

Someone tried to steal a coworkers shed and hide it behind a tree
1664578860208.jpeg

Sarasota/Bradenton - Lost power and fences. My BnB in Bradenton got power on for about six hours yesterday. Been out ever since. And our phone has been ringing off the hook.

My home on Port Charlotte OTOH the eye went over it. I expected it to be an empty lot when we went and checked on it. But surprisingly it was intact, lost all my soffits and the wind drove rain into the roof causing damage to the drywall. Also lost a couple of windows and quite a bit water got inside that way too. But honestly while major damage it was a lot better than I expected. My neighbor's house collapsed. So I will let the insurance deal with it.

I expected thing to be a lot worse, and despite not having power being a late season storm it isn't horrible compared to losing power in July.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom