Hurricane Ian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m in St. Augustine we had lots of flooding and very high surf. Our condo was surrounded by tidal flood water and was about an inch for coming in. Everyone in my family is safe and all I lost was some shed contents. Definitely feeling grateful.

Attachments

• 0A9A10C8-2D06-4CEC-B9B0-927E1994CFE8.jpeg
    0A9A10C8-2D06-4CEC-B9B0-927E1994CFE8.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 2D39A3BE-DDAE-4EB1-B4EA-FFD3ADC77142.jpeg
    2D39A3BE-DDAE-4EB1-B4EA-FFD3ADC77142.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 49
@Divin'Papaw and @Manatee Diver - sorry I’m out of state all the way up in Virginia. Otherwise I could’ve lied my butt off at work, made your damages my own and then trucked on over (and down) to help you guys with clean up.

We finally got power, internet and cable back today 3 days almost to the minute from when we lost it.

The weather has been unseasonably mild, cleanup in our community is progressing, we have plenty of food & water, so we are immensely blessed. So many in my community have not been so lucky. We will be doing our best to volunteer our time & give financially to help Lee County recover. We will pull together as a commmnity and once again be a beautiful place to visit & live.

We just got water back yesterday afternoon. Still nothing else, and no estimate of when. Havent seen a power truck anywhere yet,.

We finally got power, internet and cable back today 3 days almost to the minute from when we lost it.
Honestly, that’s not bad, considering your proximity. During Irma, despite coming ashore farther from me than Ian, I lost power for over 8 days. I found out during that storm that my next door neighbor and I are on different feeds. They were down for maybe 36 hours.

I suspect there have been some upgrades to the power grid in recent years as all we got during this storm were a couple power flickers.
The weather has been unseasonably mild,
The post storm weather was definitely a mercy to those that lost power. While I had a generator for the Irma power loss, it was not strong enough to run my central AC. Just about everything else in my house was running off the generator, though. Internet and TV were up, which definitely helped. The heat was brutal.

With Ian, at least opening windows would have helped as the air was quite cool.

I will be upgrading my generator this year though, as that was my biggest worry during this storm. House is on relatively high ground, at least for FL. ~50’ above sea level, and in a non-evacuation zone. I have shutters for all windows, so power loss was my main worry.

@Divin'Papaw and @Manatee Diver - sorry I’m out of state all the way up in Virginia. Otherwise I could’ve lied my butt off at work, made your damages my own and then trucked on over (and down) to help you guys with clean up.

I appreciate the sentiment.

Got power today, hopefully it holds. It is typical that I went to pick up a second generator to make our guests more comfortable that on the way home from the trip up to Tampa that I got a call that the power was back on. I got a hearty laugh out of that because that is about typical for me, and I made a joke about it with the dudes at Lowes. Going to figure out what to do with the spare generator, it is still in the box so I can return it but we are going to have a serious conversation about power and storms to see how we want to proceed in the future.

we are going to have a serious conversation about power
I've had it on my To-Do list, but this fall I'm getting one of the carburetor Natural gas conversion kits. Crappy running dirty carbs after sitting for a year is just a constant problem.(and I drain it). My neighbors have converted and they ran like a dream. No more filling gas cans.

we are going to have a serious conversation

This called my attention and then saw it quoted by Johnoly , so I guess most of us in Florida are having that "serious conversation" if not with our family for sure in our minds.

I'm in the SE area so i dodged the bullet this time. But it defineyly drives the point that being in Florida, specially as close to the coast as I am, makes my home a "temporary" one because it isnt a matter of IF but WHEN.

Our generator is good to go, but what are we going to cool if there's no roof or walls?
Is it worth to extend the Tiki for additional shade in the backyard? Nevermind replacing blinds or curtains, if there may be no windows to cover.

I'm no feeling very optimistic. I guess we just have to be grateful for every day we can enjoy the place, and maybe figure a way to have a pleasant place, while keeping a reasonable fund available. But seems one needs a pretty big fund for the time when the house goes and then the insurance does its best to rip you off... followed by the contractors that will make sure to drive you to insanity.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom