Hurricane Ian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a generator and after 2 major hurricanes in our 6 years here, I still have no plans to get one. We live in a small 2 bedroom condo. We do have a 2 car garage but I have no interest in taking up space to store a generator for the once every 5 years (roughly) I would need it. Not to mention to maintenance/upkeep for something I almost never use. I am far more concerned about health and safety than comfort. We did fine without power after both storms. Irma was definitely more uncomfortable than Ian, but neither were the level of discomfort that have me wanting a generator. Planning for food and water when we lose power and water are my main concerns. I have a checklist I follow and the process has served me well for both storms.

That is just MY perspective. This is a personal decision that everyone has to make. YMMV.

Now upgrading the windows and doors on our condo to full impact resistant windows/doors ... those plans are going to get pulled forward by a few years. Our current windows/doors are quite good and have held through two major hurricanes, but they are built to code that is now 18 years old. Being condos we have limited shutter options that are allowed, and shutters have their own issues (when to put up, need to then take down, safety risk when up if a fire, damage they can cause if they come lose, etc). Given our options and our situation, we will be replacing all windows and doors with full impact versions, hopefully before next hurricane season.

I'm in the SE area so i dodged the bullet this time. But it defineyly drives the point that being in Florida, specially as close to the coast as I am, makes my home a "temporary" one because it isnt a matter of IF but WHEN.

I believe that it is possible to build a home that would survive all but the worst storms. I'll seen the photos of the lone modern CAT 5 house surviving a storm.

But for me storm surge isn't as much of an issue but guest comfort at my BnB. Our original storm strategy didn't evolve for us going into the hospitality business. We planned for a single family food preservation and charging some devices.

Doing a couple generators big enough to run as of nothing happened just isn't in the budget and keeping them fueled without a priority contract like hospitals and first responders have would be a bit hard. So we are trying to find a way to cut the baby in half. Ensure continued operation and within a budget that we can afford. Thinking having the kitchen part of our BnB fully operational with AC and such, as we don't have gas connections in our area we couldn't cook normally. And run a smaller generation to get basic comfort items like water heater, a central fridge, and lights/fan/charging in every room. Cold water and a hot shower are amazingly refreshing.

I've had it on my To-Do list, but this fall I'm getting one of the carburetor Natural gas conversion kits. Crappy running dirty carbs after sitting for a year is just a constant problem.(and I drain it). My neighbors have converted and they ran like a dream. No more filling gas cans.

If we had gas connections I would be all over that.

We didn't have a drop of rain for this, but we did endure winds up to 20mph...

CLWhSfzUkAEdeZO.jpg

I converted my generator to propane after charley/francis/jean. Best money i ever spent. I don't have natural gas, but i keep 3 100lb tanks in my shed, plus a few grill bottles. It costs a little more up front, but I never have to drive around looking for gas and I never have to screw with carb maintenance.

Gas stations in east hillsborough and western polk are still empty right now.

Because TECO sucks.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom