I am going to Leisure Pro..does anyone want anything??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leisure Pro is probable the largest retailer of scuba equipent in the nation if not the world. Ask them what their daily sales are, it will blow your mind. I can't believe they have a problem with computers or anyother product sitting on their shelf longer than your LDS. However, that is just an assumption.
As for their regs....I have bought Scubapro regs from them and they have serial numbers on them. I have had no problems with them. LP services the regs themselves honoring SP's warranty and they use SP parts. Manufactureres may pretend to not like LP, but how can they not like the #1 customer of their product and they don't have any warranty issues.
As for the no discount thing.....well how can you expect them to discount a product that is priced lower than anywhere else to start with.

evad:
I've switched to ScubaToys too.
Keep them on my cell phone, ready to call. I wanted some fins they didn't carry. No problem - got them for me, fast, and cheaper than LP. :)

I need to call them about a camera housing my LDS can't get...!

I live in Ny and have visited LP as well as purchased gear from them. Unusual operation but they are very helpful, all their stuff was new. The main difference is that they are not "authorized" to sell a lot of the products they do by their respective manufacturers.
Instead, you are supplied with a "Leisure Pro" warranty and need to send any problems to then directly. I haven't used the warranty, but those who have tell me they hold up their end of the deal quite well.
If you want Leisure Pro prices with a real manufacturer's warranty, try Scuba.com
They will match LP's web published price so long as LP has it in stock (they call to verify)
When you receive the product, you will have the full manufacturer's warranty and can register it just as if you bought it at your LDS.
We bought Oceanic, and called Oceanic to verify they were authorized dealers- no problems there.
The LDS's here in NY hate LP and with good reason since they undercut their prices so drastically. If you make a trip to Manhattan, you will see their op is above a camera store and is not very large at all. I think they have a huge warehouse in Queens, and most of their stuff is mail order. Hence, while at their retail store, there isn't a whole lot to see. If you do go, there is always a DM there who is knowledgeable and will guide you.

Hope that helps in your choice of who to buy from. I always get stuff from them that doesn't break- booties, wetsuits, etc. Computers, regs, bc's- scuba.com or one of the other online outlets so long as they are factory authorized to sell and service.
Good luck!
Susan

I have purchased a lot (i.e. thousands of dollars worth) of stuff from LP over the past few years and have several friends who have done the same. The in-store experience is a bit trippy.

That being said, I was in the market for a new computer...they said they had a next to new one at a steep discount, which I accepted. Gave me same warranty as if new, as well they replaced with fresh batteries for free right then and there.

If memory serves correct there was an incident a few years ago which had them (so the story goes) with knock-off (i.e. counterfit) SP regs....once they discovered this I believe they pulled them off the inventory, etc....do some searches here and elsewhere and you might get some more on this topic....

Scubamax

Thank you for all of the feedback and advice. I am also going to LP for the experience. I have noted your comments and will respond after I make the trip. BTW. I love ScubaToys as I have purchased a great deal of equipment from those guys with exceptional service.

I've buy odd and ends from LP. My major purchases, regs, computers etc. I go to my LDS.

Everything I've bought I ordered online. No problems until last week. When I checked into delivery UPS said they delivered it. Called LP got a New York rush on the phone and said they would investigate. I did get a follow up email from LP.

UPS has screwed up on deliveris before so I'm not having a cow about it yet. I'll see what happens. Depending on what LP does this could be my last order with them.

I am a new diver myself and have been to Leisure Pro in NYC. It's a store located on an upper floor on 18th st between 5th & 6th aves. I personally like it. I have not bought any real hard core gear such as regulators or bcd's, the website authorized dealer scare has gotten to me. I bought masks, fins, booties, gloves etc. Personally I don't need a pair of $200 fins I bought a pair of aquaflex by genisis $60. They feel and work just fine. I'm glad leisure Pro is there. They have taken a boutique item and made it discount merchandise. Dive shops are a competitive business, and yes they want your dollars. The more difficult equipment is to get the more they can charge. Leisure pro keeps them in financial check. I am still trying to learn about diving equipment and went to many stores in NYC and Long Island. You can't imagine the nonsense and BS I have heard. Most salesman did not know anything. I asked one store salesman @ Scuba Network ( By the way it's right around the corner from leisure pro on 6th ave) What's the difference between a diaphram regulator and a piston regulator. He said who needs that kind of info. Come to find out from my research , if you dive in cold water a piston has a freeze up possibility. See what I mean!
Leisure pro is run by orthodox jewish people, so you won't see the tan guy with big arms in a chair reading dive training. They have the curls black coats etc. Some of them are divers though. I had a salesman named Yankee. (Just like the baseball team.) He is a diver, and invited me to dive with him and friends at one of the local quarrys in Penn. At Leisure Pro I purchased a mask, 2 pairs of fins, 2 pairs of booties, 2 snorkels, 2 carry bags, 2 pairs of light weight gloves, and mask defog. $ 324.00 with tax. (I am setting up for my son too.) Until I know more about this game, for the hard core life support gear I'll stick with my LDS. I happen to be lucky he seems to be OK, and I don't know enough to screw around. For the rest of it I'll shop. I know it annoys my lds owner when he sees my Leisure Pro wet carry, but he knows I'm going to check his pricing and competition keeps people from gouging. One thing I have learned about this diving thing, there is no shortage of advice or characters, good and bad on both sides.

I have purchased from both LP and my LDS. After signing up for my OW, I bought fins, mask, snorkel and booties from my LDS. After a couple of dives, I found out about LP. I bought my reg, BC, and computer through them, and never had a problem. I compared prices afterwards with my LDS, and saved hundreds of dollars. I have bought smaller items through them with no problem either. Once, I accidently bought two dive lamps when I neeed one. I called LP, got a RMA number, and within a week my card was credited. No problems. I would rather by from my LDS, for the reasons everybody states, but the price difference is significant.

If you make a 6 figure salary, then go ahead and support your LDS. I don't, so I am going to LP and pay half the price. I have bought from Scubatoys too and they were very good, and competitive to LP, although still slightly more.

New divers are the biggest prey to the LDS. So many of them seem to have this mentality that they need to be accepted by their LDS. They want their LDS to like them. They believe the anti-LP lies and rumors. They are just naive and don't know any better... so they pay several hundred more. Really a shame too, since a lot of LDS have a bad attitude and make it seem like they're doing you a favor by selling to you. Kind of like the girl in high school that is a total biutch and everyone hates her, but they feel like they need to be her friend. :confused:

PARADISE HUNTER:
Leisure Pro is probable the largest retailer of scuba equipent in the nation if not the world. Ask them what their daily sales are, it will blow your mind. I can't believe they have a problem with computers or anyother product sitting on their shelf longer than your LDS. However, that is just an assumption.
As for their regs....I have bought Scubapro regs from them and they have serial numbers on them. I have had no problems with them. LP services the regs themselves honoring SP's warranty and they use SP parts. Manufactureres may pretend to not like LP, but how can they not like the #1 customer of their product and they don't have any warranty issues.
As for the no discount thing.....well how can you expect them to discount a product that is priced lower than anywhere else to start with.

You can go online and register your regs with scubapro... the "retail store" will be pre-filled when you enter the serial number.

Would be interested in finding out who the original store they were sold to??

Back
Top Bottom