I'm going crazy looking for a place to go to

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try Club Med Turkoise in the Turks and Caiscos Islands.

I checked them out earlier today. Unfortunately they only offer 2 dives/day.

I understand your problem. I imagine you want soft beds, excellent service, up to date plumbing with lots of hot water, no bugs, and well-appointed surroundings.

That is hard to find close by in a resort made for diving. Having said that, I can make a few suggestions. There is a new resort in Utila that says it is 5 stars. It's called Utopia. As long as you don't want to go into town (that would be a pain,) it might be good. I didn't stay there - I stayed somewhere else.

I'm surprised Doc didn't mention the beach houses at Cocoview (Hi Doc! We met last March at Cocview.) You will want one with a/c for that time of year. Basically, you can set up any kind of service you want with the beach house manager and dive to your heart's content. It is one of the few resorts I'll return to. It is a bit rustic, but you'll be well taken care of.

I'm sure some people are thinking - well, hey, you're diving, why do you care where you sleep. But I do understand. My husband is constantly making me upgrade our accommodations, and I'm always glad.

The best place in the world that I've stayed so far is the Conrad Hilton in Bali. I can highly recommend that place - it is 6 stars. Until I stayed there I thought the star rating system was crap. LOL You can set up your diving with an LDS (we used one, but it is difficult to dive from Nusa Dua and get 3 dives in a day. There are tons of highly rated resorts in Bali and other places in Indonesia. It is just a loooooong flight.

I'm going to Cabo this week and we are staying at the Tesoro which only has a 3.5 star rating and I'll gladly send you a message about how that is. I haven't yet been to Cabo, but from my understanding, August and September are the best months to dive there. It'll be 96 degrees the whole time though. (Probably a dry heat - LOL)
The Tesoro is right on the marina and there are several dive shops in the adjacent mall. I don't know how this is going to go - a bit dicey - so we'll see. I just couldn't beat the price... $1400 including tax for two for 5 days all-inclusive with airfare and transfers. (Apple Vacations) Diving isn't included.

Let us know what you decide!

SMW

You just described Brac Reef Resort in Cayman Brac. Rooms are not 5 Star, but the overall experience was one of the best, and second only to a recent liveaboard we took.

Good luck!

That or look @ Little Cayman........Bloody Bay Wall is 2nd to none.......

SMW~ We are working on a trip to Fiji next year. I'll take a look at Bali as well. Yes, let me know how Cabo is. I've never been there.

Diver 85~ Where would you suggest to stay in Little Cayman?

I see that Marriott is opening up a Renaissance on Curacao. Not sure who the dive op is..

Thanks for the tip Georoc. Here's the link to Renaissance, which looks like it will be opening in the fall: http://www.renaissancecuracao.com/

Damselfish: thanks, I saw that thread yesterday while on my information quest.

...just a little side note. I find the "luxury" places rather annoying. The phone is always ringing, somebody knocking to turn the bed down or place flowers....never underestimate traveling with down comforters and pillows (they roll up tiny) your own sheets and Kona coffe, with press.
Everything is so tiny now--i-pods, speakers, computers for movies, Blackberrys. I am just not seeing a lot in the luxury properties I can't do better myself. (Views, weather and world class diving are often third world) I also have not been impressed, overall with the food at resorts. Not to mention all the *rich people behaviors* you have to witness, whining at the pool, beepers, cell phones ringing. (I have a World Phone, but don't want to hear yours)

We opt to venture out and find the best food and if we have a fridge, I buy wine and pack some killer post dive picnics. Honestly, maybe I stayed in too many my past life, even Ritz Carltons irritate me with all the q hour tips (the inconvenience as much as the cash).

You might find it even more romantic to get creative. All that *service*? ...there is a lot to be said for meeting your own locals and paying them to do what you need. Private DM= 60/ day private cab...etc. Hire a boat...it just seems like more of an adventure, plus it is so easy.

I love the Mandarin Hotels. I started looking at what I liked so much....down duvets, cd's and cd players, bath salts, candles...etc and just started taking that stuff. You can find massages anywhere too. LOL..I do want to stay at the Sheraton over the reef in Bora Bora though.
I can't bring a glass bottomed table.

http://www.south-seas-adventures.com/Specials/Moorea-Sheraton-Bora-Bora-Lagoon-Honeymoon-Package.php

Anthonys Key Resort in Roatan....hands down the best dive accomodation I've ever experienced.
Oh, did I forget to mention the incredible diving?.... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom