Indo vs. Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the insight. Could you give some more detail? I was thinking land based after live aboard would be a better "decompression" period. After 10-12 days (40 dives) on a boat one or both of us may have ear or other issues. My thoughts were that it would be more comfortable land based if it was physically challenging to dive. But we have not done a live aboard outside of 3 days so I am speculating.
Why do you prefer the other way around?
Thanks!

After the very draining trip to get to Indonesia from the West Coast and the time change involved, taking a day or two to recover doing the easier dives at Lembeh and then doing the more challenging dives and the more intense dive schedule of a liveaboard works better for me. I found that a more relaxing dive schedule at the beginning of a trip is best for me. I find that diving at Lembeh first gets me more attuned to the environment in Indonesia so that I actually see more on the liveaboard. I found that coming to Lembeh after a liveaboard is a bit of a let down after the intense diving at Raja. Not as much to see - lots of strange and interesting, but definitely a let down. The other way just builds with the diving getting more and more interesting from beginning to end of the trip. Doing it the other way also means that I am taking a couple of days of the liveaboard experience to work through jet lag and acclimatize. To me a waste of a very expensive couple of days.

The very best experience I have had on a Raja liveaboard was to take three weeks to vacation in Bali diving occasionally and then doing a liveaboard. Not usually an option.

I'll agree with the post #21 just above for the same reasons. I've done this both ways, and favor the 'Lembeh first' method. After a marathon travel period, unwinding with the slow pace of Lembeh diving is a great way to recover from jet lag and tune up your buoyancy before the more 'stimulating' dives of Raja Ampat. I also agree that a Lembeh dive, though sure to be interesting, is a cheaper one to blow off than a liveaboard dive.

Last edited:
I like to do land portions before liveaboards as well. Mostly I like to keep it slow and relaxed for a couple days to get used to the time change etc. I love being able to get on a liveaboard and be fully adjusted to keep up with the usually rigorous dive schedule of 4 dives a day. I always feel bad for those who get on a boat directly and struggle to get through first full day of diving. Usually too tired to even get through dinner. I love getting on board and being in tune with my gear and knowing exactly how much weight I need etc. I have done Lembeh after as well and it was kind of fun teasing everyone who was heading home!! Either way you will have a blast!!

This has been a very informative and factual thread. I want to thank all parties. Good logical feedback. How refreshing.
I must admit that the land based climatizing makes sense. I guess I did not think about that because day two and three of most overseas trips are a total blur that I don't remember! It would be a shame to mis any dives but it sounds like a handful of good Lembeh dives will check a bunch of weird macro so it should be safe
I agree that forgotten or stressed dives in a high dollar/dive live aboard would be bad.

Much much better and I don't even take PG as the best in the Phils.. Worth? Up to you : how much is worth the best?
Raja Ampat is better than the Phils, Komodo is better than the Phils, Alor is better than the Phils, North Sulawesi (Bangka and Lembeh) is better than the Phils, Ambon and Banda sea is on average better than the Phils, even Bali is better than most of the Phils, much better than PG anyway.

There are only a few places in the Phils that I would compare to Indonesia (my credits : near to 20 trips in Indo, 7 trips in the Phils) : Anilao for macro stuff, Tubbataha for bigger stuff, sometimes Balicasag and Pescador on a very good day. The rest is enjoyable though not in the Indo range, in my book.

I am interested in taking a liveaboard to Tubbataha (6.09) or Komodo (6.21). It will be Jun, 2018. Which one would offer better dives in terms of things to see?

Thank you in advance!

If your prrofile really shows your diving experience (less than a 100 dives) then i would state Komodo is for you, since you haven't seen anything that lush yet.
Komodo means more : more corals, more fish, more currents,, more different underwater topography, both blue water and macro dives, etc. on the other hand you won't have so many big fish opportunities like in Tubbataha.

If you have already been diving lush coral reefs, have no interest in macro, overlook manta rays, don't mind dieep dives, and only mind looking into the blue then may be Tubbataha and the idea of spotting whale sharks, hammerheads or tigers, will suit you better.

thanks for sharing such wonderful photos in this thread....

Thank you all for the qualified responses. It sounds like a Raja liveaboard followed by a few days in Lembeh at a land based would tick a few boxes. Would we be missing out on anything outside of Dragons with that plan?

Although Komodo Islands are crowded, the diving offers more sharks, as a generalization. Comfort with moderate currents is important in either Komodo,or RA.

I know this is an old thread but i found it fascinating since I have dives both Komodo and Raja Ampat in a 13 month period. I find the feedback about Philippines interesting. I’m going in mid April to Tubbataha then Aa safari from El Nido to Coron, finishing up at Puerto Galera and Verde Island.

I have some dive friends who wax poetic about the Philippines but they have never been to Indonesia so I’m interested to see what I think when I return. On the same note, I profess my love for Indonesia anytime someone is willing to listen but have never been to PI. :)

As for Raja Ampat, I think out of 23 dives that we did, I only saw another group on the same dive site for 4 dives. 3 of those times were in passing and from afar. It was awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom