Indo vs. Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reporting from Sorong. This morning, over 18 LoB are in the harbor. Yesterday, at Cape Kris, there were over 8 liveabords, not counting day boats. In my experience, over the last 8-10 years, the well-known dives sites are visiting on a daily basis. We will only dive in the Dampier Straits while transiting back to Sorong - for perhaps an early morning dive. FYI, during the full moon, the currents were really fun. At a few sites, many divers seem to be struggling.

Reporting from Sorong. This morning, over 18 LoB are in the harbor. Yesterday, at Cape Kris, there were over 8 liveabords, not counting day boats. In my experience, over the last 8-10 years, the well-known dives sites are visiting on a daily basis. We will only dive in the Dampier Straits while transiting back to Sorong - for perhaps an early morning dive. FYI, during the full moon, the currents were really fun. At a few sites, many divers seem to be struggling.

Interesting. My experience in October re: crowds/number of dayboats/liveaboards was vastly different from this so I guess shoulder vs high season makes a big difference! We hardly saw anyone else.

You were lucky, even in October you might see numerous boats. Since currents greatly vary by the dive site, the lunar cycle, and tides, many LoB’s plan theiir dives according to group experience and interest. FYI, I have even seen 3 to 4 boats in remote areas of the Banda Sea. After visiting ADEX, it seems to me that newly built or refurbished LoB’s are entering the Indonesian market.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
I am glad not many have found my favorites just yet. And no, I will not name them.

But liveaboard always over land based. I usually rent a small boat and a compressor and some cheap staff, but then it helps I speak Bahasa and have my wife's family there.

Back
Top Bottom