Is $145 normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ce4jesus:
Golf ..... a long walk spoiled. Sorry $145 for 20 nautical miles is expensive. I don't care how you "slice" it.

I agree. $110 on the Spectre for a ride nearly as far to Anacapa or Santa Cruz, four dives including air, and a feast. Nobody will ever hear me complain about the price of diving for what we get here in Southern California.

ce4jesus:
Golf ..... a long walk spoiled. Sorry $145 for 20 nautical miles is expensive. I don't care how you "slice" it.

So I'm guessing you wouldn't be enthused about a Texas Gulf Coast rig trip to 20 miles offshore for $225? I regularly make the drive over to Pensacola for the "cheap" diving.:D

I don't know of any operator going to the O that charges less than $145. That is a fair price given the cost of fuel and the fact that it is a day long trip, not a morning dive and back to the shop. Those boats don't have any other charter that day except the Oriskany.

That's what a boat dive costs here as well, for the same reasons. Long distance and expensive to operate.

MBT divers has cold bottled water on board for everyone. Plus during the SI they slice up oranges and watermelons. On the trip back the DM cooks up the most delicious hot dogs I have every had.

daniel f aleman:
$300 to play a round of golf at Pebble Beach - the O at $150 seems a bargain compared...

And I've never had to replace diving gear because I got mad and snapped it in two.:wink:

Thanks for all the responses everyone, I actually feel a lot better now.

Just to let you all know what us So-Cal divers are used to(as jvdk01 stated), last time I went out on The Peace Dive Boat I paid $120 for a 4 hour ride each way to Santa Rosa Island and got a full breakfast, 4 dives(3 air fills on my HP119, EAN32 optional) a full lunch (4 hour slow roasted tri-tip + fixins) and HOT homemade brownies with ice-cream and various toppings for the ride home. Not to mention homemade curry soup in between dives and an incredible top notch crew.

So you can see why I would find $145 a little on the expensive.

Thanks for the input and it's good to know that everyone out there is getting ripped off, not just me.

Billy

You don't have to make the trip if you really don't want to. Sounds like you're more into eating anyway.

Empty V:
Thanks for all the responses everyone, I actually feel a lot better now.

Just to let you all know what us So-Cal divers are used to(as jvdk01 stated), last time I went out on The Peace Dive Boat I paid $120 for a 4 hour ride each way to Santa Rosa Island and got a full breakfast, 4 dives(3 air fills on my HP119, EAN32 optional) a full lunch (4 hour slow roasted tri-tip + fixins) and HOT homemade brownies with ice-cream and various toppings for the ride home. Not to mention homemade curry soup in between dives and an incredible top notch crew.

So you can see why I would find $145 a little on the expensive.

Thanks for the input and it's good to know that everyone out there is getting ripped off, not just me.

Billy
Yeah, and the hot tub was great but there were 31 other divers. Trips to the O are on smaller boats with many fewer divers.

evensplit:
You don't have to make the trip if you really don't want to. Sounds like you're more into eating anyway.

Sounds like someone is jealous. Let's see, twice the amount of dives, actual food, better service(I'm guessing) and cheaper, I'd say we have it pretty good. I feel fortunate to live where I do, that's for damn sure.

Thalassamania:
Yeah, and the hot tub was great but there were 31 other divers. Trips to the O are on smaller boats with many fewer divers.

Agreed on both counts. I went to Anacapa on the Peace Thursday and only had a total of 16 divers on the boat for $90 a head, I'm gonna try to stick to the mid week trips if I can.

One more question, do you divers out there tip the boat $20 per trip? I'm guessing you do but wanted to ask anyways.

Billy

ce4jesus:

Well, price per mile, cheaper than the Venice beach, most east coast ops, or the keys. $65+ to go 3-5 miles and 4 hour ride tops. 26 miles at $145 is really cheap time wise considerations - its $600 a day for just fishing guides here and they never leave the mangroves and coastline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom